2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 Test Drive

AccountingTroll

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Pearl White 2006 NB, Red
Here is the link to Popular Mechanics.com

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4220410.html

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 Test Drive: Hyper-Capable Off-Road, but Is It Really Next-Gen?

Volkswagen contends that the 2008 version of its Touareg SUV has been nipped, tucked and fortified so thoroughly that it qualifies as the second generation of the model. In fact, the company is so giddy that it refers to the buffed-up Touareg, which has been on sale since June, as “Touareg 2.” VW hasn’t actually added that numeral to the badges on the Touareg itself, but at least that indicates how much the German automaker wants the world to look, once again, at the Touareg as a fresh presence in the marketplace.
Adamance isn’t, however, a substitute for substance. Sure, the Touareg 2 has some obvious changes tweaks—new headlights and taillights, a bolder and shinier grille, bigger side mirrors and an updated interior with new instrumentation and a glowing LCD screen on the sound system—but the more impressive new elements are subtle. The revised Touareg is noticeably quieter on the road, even more ludicrously hypercapable off-road, and promises to get even better in the near future.
VW updated the Touareg’s gasoline-fueled powertrain during the 2007 model year when it replaced the 240-hp 3.2-liter V6 at the bottom of the range with a new 276-hp “FSI” direct fuel injection 3.6-liter V6. And it re-engineered the optional 4.2-liter V8 around the FSI system to swell its output from 310 to 350 hp. Those engines carry forth into 2008 along with the torque-tastic 310-hp 4.9-liter twin-turbocharged V-10 diesel that stomps its 553 lb.-ft. around the 43 states that allow it. All the engines are backed by six-speed automatic transmissions feeding VW’s impressive “4XMotion” dual-range, all-wheel drive system.
On the tech side, VW has massaged the braking system with new “dry-braking function,” “active rollover protection” and “ABSPlus” systems. Burrowed into the code controlling the electronic stabilization program (ESP) are instructions to lightly apply the brake linings to each of the four discs, ensuring a dry surface for those pads to clamp down on during wet weather or when fording mucky terrain. That’s the dry-braking function. Active rollover protection is essentially an enhancement to the ESP that aids in keeping the shiny side of the Touareg up. ABSPlus is an off-road mode for the ABS that, by locking the brakes for a few moments, allows some softer road or off-road materials to accumulate in front of the tires to create a wedge that adds braking force.
The safety systems have also been modified with the adoption of a new rollover sensor system that analyzes steering angle and turning speed and then, if it senses the Touareg is about to turn turtle, activates the side and side-curtain airbags to reduce the possibility of injury. A new tire-pressure monitoring system also delivers real-time air-pressure readings to the driver more quickly and accurately.
The best part of the Touareg has always been its impregnability—a hardened unibody structure it shares with its brothers the Porsche Cayenne and Audi Q7—and that really hasn’t changed at all. On or off the road, this SUV feels like it was machined out of a solid block of depleted uranium, then fitted with a suspension swiped off the world’s softest-sprung battle tank. VW really shows off the ruggedness of the Touareg 2 in its hefty 5086-pound curb weight—more than 500 pounds heavier than its competition—the Acura MDX.
The all-independent air suspension seems infinitely tuneable to all conditions off-road, and the Touareg 2 rides quietly and comfortably on-road, with nicely weighted steering. The front seats are supremely comfortable, the new dash is attractive—though overwhelmed by buttons and controls—and the whole assembly has the quality we expect of German engineering.
Of course, this big beast doesn’t have the reflexes of smaller VWs, like the GTI, but a GTI wouldn’t be very good at clearing a rock-strewn stream or scooting up a mountainous dirt trail. The revelatory aspect of driving the V6 and V8 versions of the Touareg 2 back-to-back is how thoroughly adequate the smaller engine is. For most buyers, the V6’s slightly better fuel economy (a sorry EPA-rated 14 mpg in the city and 19 mpg on the highway, versus the V8’s downright lousy 12 and 17) and lower purchase price mean it’s the better Touareg 2 for most buyers. The updated Touareg prices start at $39,320 for the V6 version and scream up to $68,320 for the V10 diesel.
Ultimately, it’s an overstatement for VW to claim that the changes to this machine for 2008 are enough to mark it as Touareg 2. It is still, after all, very much the same vehicle it was when introduced in 2003. But the Touareg 2 is better—about 14 percent better. So let’s call it the Touareg 1.14. VW promises that, in 2009, it will also overhaul the Touareg with a clean-running and fuel-thrifty 3.0-liter turbodiesel V6 for all 50 states. That will be the real Touareg 2.0. —John Pearley Huffman

Erdrick

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
I personally am holding my breath for the next generation FE-focused VW diesels. The Touareg doesn't really interest me. Now something that hits 50-60 mpg without breaking a sweat... THAT is what I am interested in!!! The SUV is just an impractical vehicle, plain and simple. Even if it has a twin turbo setup with insane amounts of torque.

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
Erdrick said:
I personally am holding my breath for the next generation FE-focused VW diesels. The Touareg doesn't really interest me. Now something that hits 50-60 mpg without breaking a sweat... THAT is what I am interested in!!! The SUV is just an impractical vehicle, plain and simple. Even if it has a twin turbo setup with insane amounts of torque.
Impractical for whom? If you need a tow vehicle for loads less than 7700 lbs, the touareg is certainly a good fit. Particularly with a big torque-monster TDI motor. Or what about an off-road vehicle? The touareg has one of the most impressive 4wd systems of ANY modern suv.

Dismissing it as an "impractical vehicle, plain and simple" is a rather narrow-minded view.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
100%

Lupin_the_3rd said:
Impractical for whom? If you need a tow vehicle for loads less than 7700 lbs, the touareg is certainly a good fit. Particularly with a big torque-monster TDI motor. Or what about an off-road vehicle? The touareg has one of the most impressive 4wd systems of ANY modern suv.

Dismissing it as an "impractical vehicle, plain and simple" is a rather narrow-minded view.

I have to agree 100%. Those of us that like SUVs and have a use for them would be happy with the superior fuel economy vs something like the QX4 i used to own and even the new Pathfinder and 4Runners. I saw an MB GL 320 CDI today.

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
I still can't see whay anyone would pay that much for one of them. Our Excursion is twice it's size, twice as comfortble, will tow about 4X as much weight and it's list price was only about $35,000 WITH a 7.3L Powerstroke diesel!
We even bought it used about 4 years ago for $21,000 with about 70,000 miles on it.
And then you've got the WAY WAY over-priced Toyota SUVs.
People are simply nuts.

Last edited:

euromade

Veteran Member
TDI
Back to the gasser world
DRbillZ said:
I still can't see whay anyone would pay that much for one of them. Our Excursion is twice it's size, twice as comfortble, will tow about 4X as much weight and it's list price was only about $35,000 WITH a 7.3L Powerstroke diesel!
We even bought it used about 4 years ago for $21,000 with about 70,000 miles on it.
And then you've got the WAY WAY over-priced Toyota SUVs.
People are simply nuts.
Right on...just because some people do not have a need for SUVs does NOT give em a right to bash all SUVs and their owners. Try pulling a boat or a trailer, or going off road in a non-SUV - just doesn't cut it!
Ground clearance, tow rating + cargo space is what SUVs come very handy.

Yes, a car/minivan with a hitch can pull some trailers/boats under ideal conditions, but try backing your boat on some steep ramps or hitting a trail with a vehicle that has 4 inch clearance...

Last edited:

jrivers804

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1998, White
The SUV "crowd" on here is as thin skinned as those who "pan" SUVs. Most of the people who slam SUVs on here, including me, are talking about people who bought the gas guzzling yuppie trucks because they "wanted" one, they were lemmings. IF you actually use the ground clearance, 4WD systems, towing capacity, etc. fine. But IF you bought an SUV because it was "cool" but any number of cars would have met the NEEDS just as well, then that person IS part of the problem in my book. Detroit marketing did a great job of selling the idea that stupid uggly vehicles are THE vehicle unless you are a wuss. When it seems to me it is quite the opposite, IF you need that "truck" to feel like a man or "get your girl on" then maybe you are "compensating" for some lack.
IMO, a lot of people need to grow up, no the vast majority do not need a 12 mpg pig that they never take off road or tow. Nor do they need 4000 horse power, they have just bought into the marketing.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
Sounds vaguely familiar

jrivers804 said:
The SUV "crowd" on here is as thin skinned as those who "pan" SUVs. Most of the people who slam SUVs on here, including me, are talking about people who bought the gas guzzling yuppie trucks because they "wanted" one, they were lemmings. IF you actually use the ground clearance, 4WD systems, towing capacity, etc. fine. But IF you bought an SUV because it was "cool" but any number of cars would have met the NEEDS just as well, then that person IS part of the problem in my book. Detroit marketing did a great job of selling the idea that stupid uggly vehicles are THE vehicle unless you are a wuss. When it seems to me it is quite the opposite, IF you need that "truck" to feel like a man or "get your girl on" then maybe you are "compensating" for some lack.
IMO, a lot of people need to grow up, no the vast majority do not need a 12 mpg pig that they never take off road or tow. Nor do they need 4000 horse power, they have just bought into the marketing.
"NEEDS". Sounds like Marx.

euromade

Veteran Member
TDI
Back to the gasser world
jrivers804 said:
Hm...how about these assumptions of your real "needs"
- Do you live in a single room dwelling, as any larger homestead is above your needs?
- Do you own a single 13 inch TV as any larger screen is not necessary? Why would you own 42" or 50"a Hi-Def TV set as it only sucks more energy and uses more space.
- You do not use air-condition in summer and heat in winter?
- Do you drink anything other than pure rain water, as anything else is not essential for quenching thirst and hydrating your body?
- Do you live on 1000 calories a day? Consuming food more than this means someone is going hungry while you are enjoying your double Big Mac.
- Do you buy Bush Light to "get your girl on"?

Chances are you would answer NO to most of these questions here (I hope), therefore McDonalds and Anheuser-Bush marketing machine has as much effect on your lifestyle as Detroit marketing has on a number of SUV/Truck drivers around the world.

Needless to say I have no rights to tell you where to live and what to eat, by the same token I have no rights to tell you what to drive either! If you can afford your utility bill and pay your restaurant tab, who am I to tell you what to do with your money...

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
jrivers804 said:
, no the vast majority do not need a 12 mpg pig that .
i was waiting for that remark. I'm amazed you didn't spout the usual 7-9mpg that the enviro crowd is brainwashed to believe. Our Excursion weighs well over 7,000 lbs and I get 16.5 mpg ........IN THE CITY! It can easily get 20mpg on back roads. The new 6.0L Ford trucks with a 6-speed manual can get over 20 mpg very easily.
Quit believing what you force fed to believe from the media and enviro propoganda.
And towing 10,000+ lbs is just.....................fun :)

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
DRbillZ said:
i was waiting for that remark. I'm amazed you didn't spout the usual 7-9mpg that the enviro crowd is brainwashed to believe. Our Excursion weighs well over 7,000 lbs and I get 16.5 mpg ........IN THE CITY! It can easily get 20mpg on back roads. The new 6.0L Ford trucks with a 6-speed manual can get over 20 mpg very easily.
Quit believing what you force fed to believe from the media and enviro propoganda.
And towing 10,000+ lbs is just.....................fun :)
Whatzit cost to top that Exc off? I doubt anyone can point fingers at you as it sounds like it's only a weekend tow vehicle and you do own the requisite TDI

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
The fuel I put in my Excursion costs the same as the fuel I put in my TDIs.:rolleyes:
It is a weekend vehicle and mainly a tow vehicle. BUT what get's me is how do you or anyone know what anyone else uses their SUV for? Maybe the person you see driving alone and primping their hair just dropped off 7 people 2 minutes earlier or towed a work trailer to a Sierra Club work day....ehem or has their travel trailer at a campsite just a few miles down the road and they are out to get groceries.
Thre is no way you can see someone drving down the road and know what they are doing, nor really is it any of your business. I mean really isn't that just PREJUDGING and PROFILING? Another big Ahem...........

Last edited:

jrivers804

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1998, White
Reply below pasted article.

The fuel I put in my Excursion costs the same as the fuel I put in my TDIs.:rolleyes:
It is a weekend vehicle and mainly a tow vehicle. BUT what get's me is how do you or anyone know what anyone else uses their SUV for? Maybe the person you see driving alone and primping their hair just dropped off 7 people 2 minutes earlier or towed a work trailer to a Sierra Club work day....ehem or has their travel trailer at a campsite just a few miles down the road and they are out to get groceries.

How do YOU know what other SUV drivers use their guzzlers for? There is no way for YOU to know what that SUV does either. You are just assuming as well, only you decide to assume something that you find more comforting. I happen to think the surveys that show that 80+% of the SUV drivers don't use the thing for anything more than a car substitute. I think the point about the fuel for an excursion is that you may pay the same per gallon, but unless you are stoping at 3/4 tank you are putting far more of the diesel, at the same price, in your tank than a TDI could fit in its tank.
As to whose business it is, as long as no one is passing a law or forcing you then those who think that guzzlers waste fuel have a right to speak out.
But hey, if someone wants to feed beasts like that I don't want to hear them whine about the price of fuel, they made their choice.
But as I said at the outset this isn't about people who USE their SUV it is about the sheep who buy one instead of a car becuase they listen to all the marketing hype, don't want to be different, and are by and lage "me too" types though they may not admit it, even to themselves.
So, enjoy your SUV, you weren't who I was talking about.

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't say I assumed anything about what they use their SUV for. I said YOU ASSUME. I could care less what they do with it. It's THEIR's not MINE.

Talk about whining about fuel costs. You are the one mentioning it.
Anyway it was the eviro crowd that wanted $5.00 per gallon for fuel during the Clinton days. And now they are the ones crying because Exxon is "making money".

I don't care if you were talking about me or not. I'm sick and tired of this crap spouted about the "evil SUV" just because folks like you have been brainwashed into thinking a certain way and being prejudiced against someone for it.

TDIdragon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI-PD Manual
Currently (while waiting for a new TDI-PD to come out), I am driving a 2.7L Tacoma 5 speed 2WD, and for a wedding present I bought my wife a 3.5L RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD.

I have the truck for a commuter AND as a utility vehicle since we are remodling a house, moving stuff between San Antonio and Houston, and I tow every once in a while. I average 22 MPG in town and 25 MPG on the highway. I paid 20K for the truck in January.

My wife has the RAV4 for a commuter AND we use it as a family travel vehicle. It can hold us and our three dogs, our stuff, and it can get us through the snow in or anything else we come across. Although she has a powerful V6 and 4WD, she still averages about 24 MPG in town and 29 MPG on the highway fully loaded. This is due to the 5 speed automatic in the RAV4. We paid $25K for the RAV4 - fully loaded.

SUVs aren't bad, and I would rather own one good all around vehicle than own 4 vehicles for his/her commuting and utility and travel. We own Toyotas because they are built to last. When the next generation TDIs prove themselves, I will trade in the truck, but not until the truck serves its purpose.

grimkiller

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
i would like to point out that even though the Touareg has a monster engine the chassis isnt designed to be pulling much. everytime i see some retard with any suv pulling a trailer down the highway i shake my head the thing is almost doing a wheely. nothing but a death trap waiting to happen. so even if the motor can handle the load it doesnt mean its good to use it. if u want to pull get a truck if u want mileage get a car. u wanna off road buy a jeep or a shlt box and make it for off roading. the best tool to use is the one designed for the job period.

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
DRbillZ said:
Thre is no way you can see someone drving down the road and know what they are doing, nor really is it any of your business. I mean really isn't that just PREJUDGING and PROFILING? Another big Ahem...........
Yikes. Clearly you misinterpreted my post. (I assume you were responding to me) Lighten up huh? :D

The Sierra Club reference was funny though...