www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old March 10th, 2019, 13:41   #16
nick-w

Fuel Economy: 57.3mpg 2002 Jetta / 58.4mpg 1998 mk3

Yes!!! Another insight swap! I’m also doing a swap check it out!

https://www.instagram.com/hondatdi
Old March 10th, 2019, 18:19   #17
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Wait. The 02J fit!?! I... Oh well, I'm invested at this point. haha

Well since the thread got bumped, it turns out that your tie rods do absurd things like move when you do ridiculous things such as turning. Then they hit your timing cover.

Motor has to move forward, taking a few hours to move the radiator and rework the mounts I'd already made
Or! I can spend a few more hours than that making a stupid fabricated inner tie rod that clamshells over the steering rack and... I'm an idiot. So it's been real cold out and I've been procrastinating hard.

Last edited by [486]; March 10th, 2019 at 18:21.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 15:42   #18
PakProtector
Veteran Member

Completely Mad! It seems I missed the reason not to just plug in the TDI and O2J...something to do with fitment no doubt. Still want one...though I can't live with an auto. Carry on!
cheers,
Douglas

2004 Jetta, 5spd...stock and turning 47-48mpg
PakProtector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 16:46   #19
[486]
Veteran Member

Well since someone bumped it I'll make a text-update because taking pictures is a pain.

moved the engine a couple inches forward for steering clearance
made the torque mount, put together a harness and got it running with only the intake on for possible runaway concerns
made the left axleshaft in a crappy cut and weld manner
made a coolant return pipe and cylinder head coolant flange
getting close to putting coolant in it and running it long enough to cut the groove for the right axle flange retaining clip
figured out that there isn't really room for the hx40 in there, so gonna look around for a 7.3 superduty application TP38, as it is similarly sized but reverse rotation which puts everything in much better places.

torn on which cluster I'll be running, the obvious choice is the VW one as it is real simple to get working (6 tooth reluctor wheel at wheel speed with this tiny size tire is close enough for the VSS), but it is significantly larger than the hole in the dash
gotta read up more on canbus, maybe they'd be cross compatible? Doubt the heck out of it.

the reason for going with an auto was because autos are really nice in high power applications. Lag on shifts is for losers.
Old July 23rd, 2019, 19:11   #20
nick-w

Fuel Economy: 57.3mpg 2002 Jetta / 58.4mpg 1998 mk3

Got my insight tdi up and driving!!

I did a standalone wiring harness with no instrument cluster at the moment. I’m just using a gps for miles and speed.

First Fill up was 62mpg with not much HWY mostly city and mountain driving.

The manual is working great and You can definitely tell the car is a lot lighter than the MK4 when going up hill!!
Old July 24th, 2019, 06:05   #21
[486]
Veteran Member

Nice, great to hear, I'm sure those numbers will improve significantly on the freeway.

Got mine driving a couple weeks ago too, just with welded together axleshafts and n/a with no turbo, breathing through the tiny stock insight exhaust. Took a few tries to get all 4 forward gears outta the 4t65, but I got it with the internal switches in the transmission and two relays, so the trans only has the power wire and TCC lockup wires going to it ATM.

Haven't gotten around to fixing the tune at all, so it is just running in limp mode with pp764 injectors and an 11mm injection pump on a manual trans coded ECU, so while totally driveable it will smoke quite a bit with careless throttle input. Still has all the hybrid stuff in the back, so it is not even all that lightweight yet.

Only got a 2 gallon can in the passenger seat, so my range is extremely limited. Only gone maybe 40 miles so far (to work and back twice), seems like I might be getting as bad as 25 mpg just with the screwing around I've done.

No speedo signal on mine yet, gotta get around to making up a 6 toothed wheel to attach to an axleshaft somewhere and all that. Just got a basic harness with a golf/jetta cluster haphazardly jammed into the place where the stock cluster was. It sorta fits, but it is very tight vertically. A passat cluster housing is a little narrower vertically but it is a lot wider horizontally (both use the same gauge cluster with different shaped bezels) I'm thinking I'll just take the 02 passat cluster and cut off the sides to get it to fit nice in the insight dash.
Also have a new beetle cluster that doesn't fit anywhere at all, so that one's right out.

Oh right, dropped the stock fuel tank out to look at converting it over to diesel. Hammering the filler neck restrictor out took a very long time. I should have just cut it out with a die grinder and washed the grinder dust out. Would have been much quicker. The tank is sized such that it looks like I should be able to get 10 gallons in there by eliminating the EVAP airspace. There is a standpipe on the filler inlet that comes out pretty easily, you reach in through the sending unit hole and pull off the rollover valve, then there's a metal tube pressed into the plastic filler inlet barb that's molded in the tank. You can squeeze the plastic inlet with a pliers to crush the metal without damaging the plastic, then it just yanks out from the inside of the tank. Haven't gotten the sending unit figured out yet either. Undecided on if I want to run an in-tank lift pump or another external one.
Old May 21st, 2020, 16:57   #22
[486]
Veteran Member

just reuploading a few relevant pictures
haven't really done much of anything since #21 up there, probably 4 gallons of fuel through it. Got sidetracked with buying a house and all.

Old May 23rd, 2020, 08:44   #23
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

cool!