New Passat TDI confirmed for U.S.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Maybe it is time to back off the HPFP hysteria. The issue is not as big an issue as it is/was made out to be on the enthusiast boards. I had no problem with my ,now gone, 09 CR with 82k on it. I am also told the HPFP on the passat is a different design.
Yes, let's wait until a new passat owner/family who is new to diesels, misfuels and blames the HPFP thus creating new hysteria here...can we at least do that?:rolleyes:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Yes, let's wait until a new passat owner/family who is new to diesels, misfuels and blames the HPFP thus creating new hysteria here...can we at least do that?:rolleyes:
Have you seen proof that fueling with gasoline will cause HPFP failure? I haven't. Or have you seen a case where a HPFP failed and the car was filled with gasoline? I've seen cases where a dealer accuses a customer of fueling with gasoline, but not one where the customer actually did and the HPFP failed.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
It's my understanding that if the fuel does not have proper lubrisoty(?) and something about scar rating, that damage will occur. Gasoline fits that bill and apparenty poor diesel also. It may not be the fuelers fault completely but I'm sure misfueling occurs more than we know or would like to admit.

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
It's my understanding that if the fuel does not have proper lubricity(?) and something about scar rating, that damage will occur. Gasoline fits that bill and apparently poor diesel also. It may not be the fuelers fault completely but I'm sure mis-fueling occurs more than we know or would like to admit.
I still can't understand how mis-fueling is a big problem. I can see a few isolated cases but if someone is smart enough to own a diesel vehicle they should be smart enough to know what kind of fuel to put into it. If one allows someone else to drive their diesel vehicle they should educate them before passing over the keys.

I find it hard to believe the lack of lubricity in a one time gas fill would take out the HPFP before the engine stopped running, just a thought.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Agree...the whole story really never came out on this, so hopefully the passat will not show signs of failure for various reasons.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
I still can't understand how mis-fueling is a big problem. I can see a few isolated cases but if someone is smart enough to own a diesel vehicle they should be smart enough to know what kind of fuel to put into it. If one allows someone else to drive their diesel vehicle they should educate them before passing over the keys.
Very true 5 or more years ago, but now non-enthusiasts are becoming TDI owners. That and an increase in family driven TDIs almost guarantees higher incidents of mis-fueling. Who wants to partner with me to develop a gasoline sensing gizmo for inside the fuel door?

Last edited:

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
So I guess 5 or 6 years ago VW TDI buyers did not share their cars with family members and only "enthusiasts" were TDI drivers. If you own a TDI than you should be darn sure you educate whom ever you hand your keys over to. I can see potential if you had a rental operation with diesels but private vehicles, I don't think so.

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
Why aren't gassers worried about someone putting diesel in their tank? Sure "Stuff" happens but I think this is a non issue, especially on a diesel board, if they found the TDICLUB they should know how to fuel their vehicles. just a thought.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Because in a gas car, if you misfuel with diesel, you empty the tank, flush the lines, replace the fuel filter, and fill it with premium. And, the diesel nozzle doesn't physically fit.

In a diesel car, if you misfuel with gas, you potentially replace the entire fuel system, at a cost of $8000-11000 on the common rail TDIs.

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
my roommate is a BMW mechanic and one of the porters at the dealership filled a brand new X5 with Diesel.... he had to dammed near bend the filler cap to get the nozzle in....

bhtooefr

TDI
None
BMW even has a part for an adapter to put a high-flow truck nozzle in their diesel filler ne... oh, was it a gas X5? :eek:

bhtooefr

TDI
None
No, that shouldn't fit in a gasser's filler neck.

There are three filler neck sizes - 21 mm for unleaded gasoline, 24 mm for leaded gasoline and for car diesel, and I believe 30 mm for trucks.

Some stations put 21 mm or 30 mm nozzles on car diesel pumps.

The BMW filler neck is designed to stay closed unless a 24 mm nozzle is inserted, exerting pressure on both sides of the filler neck, opening a flap that allows fuel to enter the tank.

So, that adapter opens the flap, and allows any nozzle, 30 mm or smaller, to fill the tank.