New Passat TDI confirmed for U.S.

Red Sox Nation

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 manual Jetta Sedan
New Passat in 10 days ...

For test drives at least. I'm really looking forward to giving it a spin, seeing as how the wife is really looking forward to buying the TDI model...

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Well now we know why VW isn't going to sell the Passat Wagon in the US.

Looks like we'll be going with a three row vehicle according to autoblog. True cross over wagon or an AWD Sharan?

That is the question.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/18/volkswagen-rules-out-passat-wagon-for-north-america/
Oh man that sucks. Not another bloated "crossover" to do the job that can either be done by a station wagon (if you don't need 3d row seating) or minivan (if you do). The Passat wagon was a good seller up here in Quebec.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't think that article confirms anything. Autoblog finally figured out that the US and Euro Passats are different cars, and they think there are rumors of a crossover, unconfirmed by VW. FWIW, C&D said the 40 Anniversary Golf was coming here, then retracted the story when VW said they didn't want it here, they'd prepare their own special editions, thank you very much.

This is journalism?

dan30thz28

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed Manual 2013 VW Sportwagen TDI 6-Speed Manual
Hey,
Wagons are back in style as I see Jetta TDI wagons all over the place out here. They need to look at their sales and realize that if they went a little bigger with a Passat wagon that they would actually sell. I hope that Subaru brings their outback over with the diesel...then I'd sadly switch branks for my next new car. :(

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
2012 Passat information problems

I'm having some trouble with specific information about what's available how on the new Passat TDI.
I hadn't even considered the car at all as options/pricing information from a number of months ago made it sound like by the time it's a TDI with DSG, I'm buying far too many other features I don't want while actual useful luxury like lumbar support in both front seats cost unaffordably (to me) more. Also, it seemed like it I would need a new car long before they'd be available.

The new production dates and prices got me interested again, though as the picture gets clearer, all the complaints above are starting to appear again. Having come across the lumbar seat problem a lot while shopping around, I've come to accept that I should just get the cheapest TDI/DSG I can, and depending on how simple the lumbar support mechanism is, I'll just eventually swap in the lumbar support mechanism, make my own, or swap in another driver's seat on the passenger side.

But even with that compromise accepted - the base TDI model gets what amounts to vinyl seats, with leather $4300 more and no option of cloth?
What are they thinking?

My biggest problem, however, and the point of this post is the fact that while I'm trying to figure out just exactly what stupid feature combinations and restrictions they've put in place, I'm faced with contradicting information or worse.
I'm looking at the website and the current (got it 2 weeks ago) dealer brochure. The brochure is so vague (yet utterly different in some ways from any website info) that it's not worth discussing. A VW-chat operative last week suggested I get final info from my dealer, but since my recent experience with dealers of multiple brands includes more definite untruths than don't-knows, I'll save my time.

So, back to the website.
It's been previously suggested that the DSG is sadly bundled with the sunroof (***?). (The chattist last week confirmed that this is so.)
In the Trims & Specs section, lots of features are listed separately, including DSG, sunroof, navigation, and even passenger power seat.
The configurator quickly reveals this to be a ruse, but not before briefly raising your hopes by showing optional wheels at no cost - until demanding that the free wheels be combined with the $4300 upgrade package.
OK, so it's back to expensive packages - the Trims & Specs table is only useful if you have unlimited money, as no options can actually be purcahsed separately.
But what about the DSG? $1900 extra when you choose it sure seems a bit steep, but there's no mention of a package or other features.
Indeed, just before the end, the sunroof and navi package is shown to cost $1600. No mention that you already get a free sunroof with your DSG. (And, as it turns out, it's not a price-adjusted upgrade, as nav+sun isn't just more expensive but unavailable without DSG.)
My favorite exprience with this pack of lies is when you choose free leather seats, which of course causes a demand to add the SEL package - sometimes, this is followed by a demand to remove the wheels! (And that may or may not be followed by an endless loop of demands, escapeable only by closing the browser.)

I wanted to get a feeling of just how much of the TDI price is the forced SE-level vs. the TDI itself. Looking at the 2.5, I noticed no automatic drivetrain option. Interested, I tried some of the $$$$ packages (with all the demands that entails), and none ever revealed containing an automatic either. Hmm.

I've been waiting patiently for all this to be straightened out, but all I've noticed is that the red color swatch seems to be getting ever duller and darker, though that may be my disappointed imagination.

Friday, giving it another chance, I went in and found that the T&S table now had "no available" for each feature under TDI and V6. At that point, I finally called up the VW chat, pointed out this defect, and suggested that the other characteristic mentioned above aren't great either, particularly when dealers know nothing and options packages greatly affect the price - and no cars are on the lots to establish what you're likely to be able to buy. (The factory lot, by the way, was very full a few days ago; you'd think they'd get those cars on the covered trains instead of letting them sit in the sun. No red cars, by the look)

So, 1+ business day later, that table is still blank...

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Just got a call from my local dealer today...the 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium Package dealer demo arrived today. Black with tan leather interior loaded just like I would want it. Going in Saturday with the wife to look at it and take it for a spin. She wants to compare the Passat to a 2012 TDI JSW and make her decision.

CNGracing

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE MT6
I test drove last Friday!!! I was the 1st customer to do so.....what a ride!! I'm gonna order mine soon. I do not like their packages and the dealer is so lost!!! I knew more than they did. I will be going with the TDI manual!!! Sweet and simple. See u on the road.

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Chevy Volt now -- sold '03 Jetta Wagon :-(
Is there a petition to get the Passat Wagon TDI offered again? I wonder how many people would actually sign it. It would probably have to include language about price range, fuel economy minimums, and options. And therein may lie the problem.

I need to be able to get 2 car seats in the back seat. I'd like to see MPG as high as possible (minimum 30 in the city), and options can be bare minimum (manual tran would be great). Mid- to upper $20k would be my limit.

I think the JSW meets most of those criteria, but it's too small for the car seats. I'm also disappointed by the drop in the JSW's mpg over the years. My 2003 was rated 50/41, and I average 43 with B99, so I've got high standards. :( I'm fine with lower HP if it results in higher MPG.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
remember VW isn't building cars for us, they are building them for americans

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Chevy Volt now -- sold '03 Jetta Wagon :-(
My '03 Jetta can't fit our car seats. The main reasons are because they're rear-facing, and I have to have the front seat pushed back because I'm 6 feet tall. Forward-facing or booster seats may end up fitting, but we also need more cargo space, which is why I'd like the Passat.

I'm also not happy with how low the MPG is on the JSW AND that it can't run high biodiesel blends. If they kept it in the high 40s, if they gave me one of those, I could forgive it, but both dings makes not much better than any other car on the market, in my opinion. I don't put much emphasis on "fun to drive", that's purely gravy.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
I think the JSW meets most of those criteria, but it's too small for the car seats. .
Its also too small for my gangly 6ft plus teenagers. Which is why I had to say goodbye to my tdi-once it was confirmed no wagon passats.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I'm not interested in another Passat unless it's a wagon and I'm not interested in a crossover. I don't really need the 4 ring status symbol either. JSWs sell well, why wouldn't a Passat Wagon do well also?

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
My '03 Jetta can't fit our car seats. The main reasons are because they're rear-facing, and I have to have the front seat pushed back because I'm 6 feet tall. Forward-facing or booster seats may end up fitting, but we also need more cargo space, which is why I'd like the Passat.

I'm also not happy with how low the MPG is on the JSW AND that it can't run high biodiesel blends. If they kept it in the high 40s, if they gave me one of those, I could forgive it, but both dings makes not much better than any other car on the market, in my opinion. I don't put much emphasis on "fun to drive", that's purely gravy.
I don't think you can compare an 03 Jetta with the latest version for rear seat space. My son-in-law as an 09 JSW, and while only one car seat is facing the rear (the other faces the front) I've sat in the passenger seat with no real issue (I'm 6'). The new Passat would be even better, since it has particularly large rear seat room.

I do understand the frustration about no high blend bio. But we're stuck with today's emissions regulations, and I think VW has done pretty well in spite of them. My daughter's 09 Jetta may have a highway rating of 41, but I averaged 46 on a trip that included a mountain pass. Steady freeway driving was right at 50MPG. Both she and my son-in-law are kinda lead foots, and their in town average is about 36.

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
I went to take a look at the new Passat TDI SEL Premium today and all I can say is WOW!!! What a terrific car and the room inside the cabin and the trunk is amazing. Can't wait for the wife to drive it and see it this Saturday.

wutbürger

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 CW Golf 4dr 6mt
The have 2 of them at my dealership here in St. Louis. I sat in the TDI SEL Premium and as stated, it is MASSIVE on the inside. Tons of room, good ergonomics, fit and finish is good as always, etc. Have some time set aside on my lunch break to go drive it tomorrow and will write-up my impressions on it

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue, Passat, 2012 Silver
I just test drove a 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium.

Thoughts.

Very nice car! I also test drove a new 2011 Jetta TDI for comparison. The Passat's ride is much nicer than the Jetta's (it's firm but less choppy). The Passat's power and acceleration feels less than the Jetta (Not by much). The engine sounds a bit quieter, also not by much. The factory NAV and sound system are some of the best I've experienced, better than cars costing double this one.

We were already second in-line to get one. This just seals the deal.

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
New Passat: NO PRIMER COAT!

From the Summer,2011 issue of VW's "Connect" mmagazine; "Volkswagen has eliminated the need for a primer coat of paint on the new Passat. An electrocoat phosphate bath prepares the metal body for the thick, lustrous base coat..." I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE MOTHER OF ALL DELAMINATIONS AFFECT THIS CAR!:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

XM_Rocks

TDI
E90 335i and MK6 Golf
I just test drove a 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium.

Thoughts.

Very nice car! I also test drove a new 2011 Jetta TDI for comparison.
Which dealer?

Also how was the highway road noise between the 2011 Jetta and 2012 Passat?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
From the Summer,2011 issue of VW's "Connect" mmagazine; "Volkswagen has eliminated the need for a primer coat of paint on the new Passat. An electrocoat phosphate bath prepares the metal body for the thick, lustrous base coat..." I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE MOTHER OF ALL DELAMINATIONS AFFECT THIS CAR!:eek:
THICK?? Two stage paint basecoats are barely 0.003" (three thousands of an inch) thick. Following clear coats (typically three wet to flash) give the finish its gloss and durability. Maybe the finish will come off after a while with no primer base coat??? This should be fun.....:)

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Didn't Mercedes do something similar with the W210? And those rusted like crazy. Hope the Passat has a different outcome.