New Passat TDI confirmed for U.S.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I guess this subject is taboo in this thread.
As the engine is sourced out of Germany (or other European foundries), I would assume that Bosch will contiue to supply the same hpfp for all of the engines, regardless of where that engines will be placed into service.

Note that when I say the same hpfp, that I am referring to the third (?) generation pump that is on the 2011 TDIs sitting on the lots today.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
To early to tell. There seem to be less failures with each generation of the hpfp but am not sure if we can call it "cured". It would be great if VWOA decided to replace all of the early generation hpfps when Bosch finally has one that will not fail with US diesel but don't really see that happening unless the NTHSA tells them to.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Anyone see the TV program that showed the Passat in early production-testing and training the Robots to do the jobs?

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
If vw wants to sell a bunch of cars, they need to adapt their manufacturing lines to what the customers want.

This is why we are getting a US built Passat instead of German. They are giving the mass public what they want, not us on here. Remember we are niche group. With only 10,000 2004-2005 Passat TDI's made we are a small subset of that 800,000 total they are trying to reach. :)

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Has anyone heard or confirmed if the Engine and Transmission are both still being produced in German and shipped as a unit for installation in the US?

Also, everyone has noted this vehicle has the AdBlue, urea product, right? This allowed them to get better MPG/Performance and still be 50 State NOx compliant. Sounds like the Passat is getting a better performing engine chance for better MPG (with driving style of course) and still meeting the better NOx levels.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Anyone see the TV program that showed the Passat in early production-testing and training the Robots to do the jobs?

Yea it was pretty cool, robots inspecting robots.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Has anyone heard or confirmed if the Engine and Transmission are both still being produced in German and shipped as a unit for installation in the US?

Also, everyone has noted this vehicle has the AdBlue, urea product, right? This allowed them to get better MPG/Performance and still be 50 State NOx compliant. Sounds like the Passat is getting a better performing engine chance for better MPG (with driving style of course) and still meeting the better NOx levels.
I seem to recall that some of our TDI engines were Polish... but maybe my memory is rusty.

99Jet

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Order In!

According to my salesman, my order should be in the system today. It was somewhat frustrating trying to choose a color as the "selector" on VW's site is a poor representation and all galleries that I could find do not indicate the color shown.

From what I was told, I can expect the car by end of August / early September.

Fingers crossed that it's a reliable, well built appliance!

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
According to my salesman, my order should be in the system today. It was somewhat frustrating trying to choose a color as the "selector" on VW's site is a poor representation and all galleries that I could find do not indicate the color shown.

From what I was told, I can expect the car by end of August / early September.

Fingers crossed that it's a reliable, well built appliance!
Is that a Firehawk nose I spot in your avatar?

Had a 2000 Formula, 6-spd before I bought my first Golf. :D

99Jet

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Is that a Firehawk nose I spot in your avatar?

Had a 2000 Formula, 6-spd before I bought my first Golf. :D
Good eye!

I had a 2001 Formula Firehawk with the 1LE package (M6, cloth & Ts too!). Dyno'd 326 at the wheels, bone stock. Also had a 97 WS-6 Trans AM. Great memories in those cars, especially at the track.

Beckley, huh? I've driven through there a few times to/from Florida. Nice area!

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
Good eye!

I had a 2001 Formula Firehawk with the 1LE package (M6, cloth & Ts too!). Dyno'd 326 at the wheels, bone stock. Also had a 97 WS-6 Trans AM. Great memories in those cars, especially at the track.

Beckley, huh? I've driven through there a few times to/from Florida. Nice area!
Very nice :)

Mine had a full exhaust including long-tube headers and full intake system, I always kinda guessed around 375 crank hp.

*ahem* carry on TDI'ers!

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
no more tax credits for advanced lean-burn vehicles in the US

Any tax incentives left for these new Passat clean diesels?

From IRS website:
a document headed-
2011 Advanced Lean-Burn Vehicles (as of 02-10-11)

For every listed model, the following is stated:
No credit is allowed on or after January 1, 2011

Unless new tax credit legislation is passed (Ha!), the tax credits are gone.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Is the trunk as big or bigger than the Jettas was/is?
EPA claims 102 cubic feet passenger volume, 16 cubic feet luggage volume.

For the 2011 Jetta, the EPA claims 94 cubic feet passenger volume, 16 cubic feet luggage volume.

For comparison, a 2010 Passat is 96 and 14, and a 2010 Jetta is 91 and 16.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I think I will be getting one of these. One of the test drivers said the got 48 mpg on their highway test drive. I see a 1000 mile/tank thread coming soon.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I think I will be getting one of these. One of the test drivers said the got 48 mpg on their highway test drive. I see a 1000 mile/tank thread coming soon.
Well it if has a 70 liter tank like the Euro Passat... let's see, 4.9 L/100 km, 5 litre reserve, 65 litres into 4.9 times 100 km = 1326 km or 829 miles.

If you brim it, it will probably give another 2.5 liters or 50 km (30 miles) so we're up to 859 miles.

Then if you're brave enough to cut it this close (6 miles to empty)

you can add another 90 km (55 miles)... so 914 miles.

Yep, someone's going to try to hypermile it up to 1000 miles :D

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I can almost read the first ventectomy thread........
Not going to happen, no vent thingy on the newer TDIs starting with the Mk V Jetta. Too bad I used to be able to squeeze in a full 8 more liters by venting. Now I can only get 2.5 more in by waiting for the foam to settle and brimming the tank. That's a range loss of over 100 km... :(

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
Dang,

I thought the 16.5 gallon tank took forever to empty on my current Passats. Two more whole gallons will take even longer.

And doing the math $4/gallon means almost $75 to fill up the tank.
B4 had 18.5 and one year the B4V had something like 25 gallons.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Most of the B4V's high capacity is due to a ridiculously huge vapor recovery system - you can cram something like 27 gallons in there. :eek: