New Passat TDI confirmed for U.S.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Pricing was released, here is everything I know in a neat, organized buying guide on my site: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b7/2012-vw-passat-tdi-forum-buying-guide.htm Check back for updates becuase I am constantly editing as more info comes out.
Thanks for the compilation. The VW website did not list the new passat as of yesterday, even in the tdi section.
Is the engine transverse or longitudinal?

Also, the reduced options is probably a good idea for a new build in a new plant with new assemblers, etc...

Last edited:

tscottt

TDI
sold: 1998 NB TDI 5-spd
Yes, I'm not entirely opposed to the build simplification as it is reasonable for a new plant and new car plus it does prevent the nickel and dime feeling of tacking one option after the other onto a car. Most manufacturers are going in the option groups, packages, rapid spec, etc. direction with minimal stand alone options. Many of the stand alone options are dealer installed things like cargo mats, mud flaps, and sunroof deflectors. Audi and BMW build your own sites in the past few years have allowed you to add enormous amounts of options to your car while racking up more and more to the MSRP. Porsche even offers optional headrests and wheel center caps with their logo.

Limited, packaged-based builds are advantageous for the manufacturer first and foremost for volume and simplicity thus a better bottom line. It also prevents undesirable configurations from sitting on lots for months at a time and keeps dealers happier. The impact on the consumer can be positive through bundled savings and improved inventory of the desired configurations, or it can be negative in that you have to get some options you'd rather do without.

I see two distinct trends in consumer goods in the US--one toward homogenation in products like Apple, big box stores, and chain restaurants versus differentiation in many computer companies and smaller, local stores. The auto industry seems to be eliminating much of the differentiation unless you are willing and able to spend the premium price; in its place is what is branded as premium on the mainstream products. The vast inventory of US dealerships drives toward commonality whereas an alternative approach using dealerships as showrooms from which exact models and options can then be ordered favors individuality. That system doesn't coincide well with the rise of mega-dealerships and elimination of small single lot dealerships. I guess the phrase "you get what you pay for" pretty much sums it up. It gets frustrating when the mainstream stuff starts costing more than the less common and frequently better stuff. And I believe that's enough of a tangent in this thread.

As for the engine layout, it's transverse. In looking back to find the specific platform, it seems there is differing information. I thought I remembered it's on the MQB architecture, but maybe that isn't the case. Anyone know for sure?

Last edited:

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Pricing was released, here is everything I know in a neat, organized buying guide on my site: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b7/2012-vw-passat-tdi-forum-buying-guide.htm Check back for updates becuase I am constantly editing as more info comes out.
Hey Chitty,

If I could offer one suggest to your outstanding web site, could you put the date updated on the top of the first page of each section? Perhaps you have it there already, but I can't see it anywhere. Let's us know when the page has been updated.

Thanks! :D

chittychittybangbang

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Hey Chitty,

If I could offer one suggest to your outstanding web site, could you put the date updated on the top of the first page of each section? Perhaps you have it there already, but I can't see it anywhere. Let's us know when the page has been updated.

Thanks! :D
Sure but I make lots of small edits in addition to material edits.

The engine is transverse. It's the same basic Jetta-Golf-JSW drivetrain but with Adblue.

tscottt

TDI
sold: 1998 NB TDI 5-spd
Not sure why I just thought of this, but the US Passat is also the same basic car as sold in China; VW China has a website, thus it's possible to get an idea of their features and the like. http://www.vw.com.cn/zh/models/newpassat.html (Gallery here: http://www.vw.com.cn/zh/models/newpassat/Gallery.html)

So if LED lights front and rear are your cup of tea, perhaps a quick trip to a VW parts counter from China will do the trick. Their front grill uses two thin strips in the place of each single thicker bar on the US grill. They also seem to have pretty nice looking wheels. I cannot read Chinese, but it looks like they only get 1.8T and 2.0T gas engines. Who's going to be first to go for the Chinese market look for their US Passat?

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I love spoked wheels. They look classy and disappear visually when driving slow so that you can see through them. ;)

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Not sure why I just thought of this, but the US Passat is also the same basic car as sold in China; VW China has a website, thus it's possible to get an idea of their features and the like.
Thanks for the link, gotta share the entertaining specification translation provided by google:

New generation Passat
Royal respect Edition
Sheep who follow the rules; outstanding persons, defined rules; herd, was the world changed; outstanding person, then change the world; whole new generation Passat will work with you to create outstanding new classic, defining a new pattern!
The contour line of distinguished LED lights
QVGA TFT display Chinese on-board computer
Vienna perforated leather seats
TSI + DSG
AAC fully independent active chassis system response
EPS Speed-sensitive electronic power steering system
Enjoy the system back leader
Auto-dimming outside mirrors
New round ESP
Beam before and after the special anti-collision
Laser welding of high-strength body
Fuel consumption: 5.3L/100km

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The spec that Lightflyer1 was converting was for either a 1.8 or a 2.0L turbocharged gasser.

But, Chinese fuel economy ratings, IIRC, are 56 mph steady state.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Yeah, that's not a real-world figure, that's a 90 km/h flat ground no wind rating.

(And the 2.0T is rated for 5.7 L/100 km in the same conditions.)

In other words, how Brussels Belgian would drive it.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Yeah, that's not a real-world figure, that's a 90 km/h flat ground no wind rating.
(And the 2.0T is rated for 5.7 L/100 km in the same conditions.)
In other words, how Brussels Belgian would drive it.
Or me; my Passat 2.0T was rated 6.8 L/100 km highway and I could get 6.4 out of it (100 km/h). My new Golf TDI is rated 4.6 on the highway, and I can get 4.4 out of it; I've seen as low as 4.1 :)

Interestingly our Passat TDI is rated 5.7 L/100 km on the highway, same as the Chinese rating on the new Passat 2.0T. I could get 5.4 out of that one :D

But getting 5.7 out of my 2.0T... that would require all downhill with a tailwind :D

Though that might nearly be achievable with the newer version of the 2.0T. It does better than the earlier BPY engine that was in my Passat.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
"Simplifying build combinations". If you want leather in a manual TDI, you have to buy the manual, and swap in leather.

If you want a sunroof in a manual TDI, you have to buy the DSG, and swap in a manual. (Or cut a hole in the roof, but...)

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
"Simplifying build combinations". If you want leather in a manual TDI, you have to buy the manual, and swap in leather.

If you want a sunroof in a manual TDI, you have to buy the DSG, and swap in a manual. (Or cut a hole in the roof, but...)
you sure you can do that?

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Swapping leather into a manual TDI? Why not? We've been swapping leather into cars for as long as TDIClub's been around.

As for swapping a manual into a DSG car, we've also been swapping manuals into automatic cars for quite a while. It'll be more involved on a modern car, but why wouldn't it be doable?

bhtooefr

TDI
None
You buy the car that has the bodyshell that you want, and then you buy the parts that are needed to make it the car that you want.

So, if you don't want a sunroof, you buy the manual trans TDI, if you do want a sunroof, you buy the DSG. Then, you go from there.

If there's someone who wanted a DSG and no sunroof, and someone who wanted a manual and a sunroof... get together, swap stuff.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
No S/R or no sale

You buy the car that has the bodyshell that you want, and then you
buy the parts that are needed to make it the car that you want.
So, if you don't want a sunroof, you buy the manual trans TDI, if you
do want a sunroof, you buy the DSG. Then, you go from there.
If there's someone who wanted a DSG and no sunroof, and someone
who wanted a manual and a sunroof . . . get together, swap stuff.
:)

That is simply put, too much hassle and work and money involved.

I cannot believe that in order to get a loaded 2012 Passat with a manditory for us DSG,
I would be 'forced' to get and pay for a S/R that we neither want nor need!

VW will not 'get a sale' from us because of that! :(
As a matter of fact, for that high amount of dinero, we will simply
find a good used low mileage certified 2007-9 MBZ E-320D.
Much more car for us, but of course, not nearly the F E that we are enjoying now.
That is when and if I survive OHS and the JSW gives up the ghost which
I do not think is going to happen? (That is the JSW giving up!)

Sometimes (often) I think VW does not think clearly at all! :mad:
How they figure to sell so many cars with that stupid thinking is beyond me.
In order to sell 'beaucoup' vehicles, VW must give the customers what they want.

:D

D

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG

That is simply put, too much hassle and work and money involved.

I cannot believe that in order to get a loaded 2012 Passat with a manditory for us DSG,
I would be 'forced' to get and pay for a S/R that we neither want nor need!

VW will not 'get a sale' from us because of that! :(
As a matter of fact, for that high amount of dinero, we will simply
find a good used low mileage certified 2007-9 MBZ E-320D.
Much more car for us, but of course, not nearly the F E that we are enjoying now.
That is when and if I survive OHS and the JSW gives up the ghost which
I do not think is going to happen? (That is the JSW giving up!)

Sometimes (often) I think VW does not think clearly at all! :mad:
How they figure to sell so many cars with that stupid thinking is beyond me.
In order to sell 'beaucoup' vehicles, VW must give the customers what they want.

D
Hey Derrel, Good luck on your surgery. I hope you are still full of piss and vinegar as usual when you get back to the keyboard and the driver's seat. Let us know how youre doing.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Thanks

Thanks JP. :) Will do!

Should know how everything goes sometime after Thursday AM unless they
cancel it (again) like they did on May 26 at 14:30 for 05:30 May 27th.

That's the hardest part . . getting yourself all siked up for the
big deal and then, only 15 hours before, they cancelled it!

This time, they are overlooking my APTT F12 low readings. Heritary they say?

Should be able to communicate again beginning sometime Saturday if I'm out of ICU by then. :confused:

D

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Does anyone know the percentage of parts that are locally made in the USA?
There is a series on national news that has been finding out this data.

I tried the build your car feature today and found it a bit buggy at the end and non-tuitive when it came to options. Certains colors require a $6k mark up to get features you don't really want along with the minor thing you did...

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
With today's info technology and modern manufacturing methods, there should be no reason for options to be so strangely clumped together. If vw wants to sell a bunch of cars, they need to adapt their manufacturing lines to what the customers want.

Granted, most cars sold will fit a common pattern option-wise.

But there are alot of sales that will NOT be made due to requiring some weird cluster of options.

It's understood that the tdi engine is more costly to build. But wrapping the car with other profitable options to cover the engine cost is going to drop sales.

As in, I do not want a sunroof in a tdi jetta. I want a gearbox. No nav. Choice of seat covering. Choice of colors. Simple.

At least in the passat, a slick top tdi seems available.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Ski in NC: The problem is, if they don't wrap the car with the other profitable options, they either have to price the options at nearly free to make it sell at prices where people who want those options will buy the car, or, the other way, a loaded Jetta TDI would be pushing $40k, if the options were priced the same, and the base model Jetta TDI were an actual base model, but priced based on its actual cost. (And the base model would probably be $1k less than the current base model, too.)

I guess the other option would be to price a base model Jetta TDI BELOW cost, but that's also attracting cheapskate customers like us that wouldn't use dealer service and such.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I wonder, though, how VW was able to make a car like my '99.5 Golf (or yours, bhtooefr), or my '02 wagon and make a profit. Maybe they didn't. Both are devoid of options. My wagon was stickered at $19,450 with the TDI in '02.

I'd love what would essentially be a bare-bones Rabbit with a TDI engine. I'd even pay 2K or more for the TDI option if it allowed me to leave the rest of the car bare.