New Passat TDI confirmed for U.S.

EdwinTDi

TDI
2011 Jetta w/Nav Platinum Gray 6MT
I saw the 2012 Passat at the show room today at the VW Lithia Springs dealership... It is really a nice car. Too bad I purchased the 11' Jetta last week.... I would of considered this as a potential car... especially the TDI

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
How is she in the snow? I've had Subarus since 2004, and people keep telling me I am going to be sorry with a FWD car in the winter months.
I've been driving RWD and FWD cars in Quebec winters now for close to 40 years. Never had any issues. The secret has always been 4 good winter tires. With electronic stability control as well, you'll be fine. I'd rather have a Golf with stability control and FWD than an older Subie without stability control any day. I drove the latter once for 200 km on snow-covered and slushy roads from Quebec City to Chicoutimi one winter.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
How is she in the snow? I've had Subarus since 2004, and people keep telling me I am going to be sorry with a FWD car in the winter months.
Can't really comment about the JSW or Beetle in the snow since we just shut the city down if there are more than a few flakes in an hour. :p I've had fwd since I bought my 82 subie (yes, it was only fwd) and have had few issues with Iowa, Wisconsin, and Indiana winters. There were times where I could get around better in my subie than the neighbor's 4x4 pickups. As long as the snow wasn't deeper than the hood, I could get through it. Also, the traction control and all the other traction stuff in the fwd now gives better traction (IMHO) on ice than most awd or 4x4.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm convinced people who drive 4wd cars say this because they put up with all the negatives of their cars when they don't need the extra drive wheels, and want to feel better about their decision.

I had an Audi A4 Quattro for six years before getting the Jetta Wagon and didn't notice any issues going back to FWD. And I do drive in VT and ME a lot in the winter. What I did notice was no longer paying the fuel economy penalty of AWD.

Mike_in_NEPA

TDI
None yet
I'm convinced people who drive 4wd cars say this because they put up with all the negatives of their cars when they don't need the extra drive wheels, and want to feel better about their decision.

I had an Audi A4 Quattro for six years before getting the Jetta Wagon and didn't notice any issues going back to FWD. And I do drive in VT and ME a lot in the winter. What I did notice was no longer paying the fuel economy penalty of AWD.
I am sick to death of the fuel economy of the Forester XT, and contemplating seeing if I could get out of lease now instead of waiting all the way until September. The fuel costs are about $80-$100 a week with it, and it's guzzlicious 19 mpg fuel economy. Not fun. Plus the tires are at the wear level of what is acceptable on a lease return and the mileage is at a hair over 33K right now.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
yeah, but it's AWD BABY!!!!

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Personally, I prefer to have my rear wheels driven in winter. I actually have trouble getting a RWD vehicle REALLY stuck - as long as I can get the tail to kick sideways, it doesn't get into a rut, and is easy to get out.

Philcsag16

TDI
JETTA
Passat Wagon

I was recently in the Barcelona , Spain Airport and they had a Passat Wagon on display, I thought the car was a perfect size for my needs.
Is the US scheduled for a Passat Wagon?

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
.....this just in....the July issue of Car and Driver has a preview of the 2012 Passat....mostly positive with a bit of humour....stay tuned for a full review in the future...

jrivers804

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1998, White
Why does VW so often seem penny wise and pound foolish? They bring back the Passat, but you can't get the wagon and you can't get 4-motion. At least witht the wagon can't they see the success of the Jetta sport wagon and see how some might want a larger wagon? What do I want a Passat wagon TDI that I can option they way I want not pick from 16 or 6 or even 60 cookie cutter choices.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Because of a few things:

#1: VWoA is where VW execs get sent when VW wants to fire them. Therefore, if you get sent to VWoA, you don't do a good job, because you're about to get fired anyway.
#2: Costs - cost of certifying different combinations, cost of having workers actually read build sheets, rather than crank out batches of certain configurations
#3: A combination of focus groups and sales history for both VW and for other brands. Focus groups often get it wrong, sales history not so much. Sure, Passat wagon TDIs go for $11tybn, but there's probably not enough demand to actually mass produce them. And, just because the internet demands something, doesn't mean the internet will actually buy it - see, oh, the Saturn Astra, and how forums were demanding it left and right - we got almost exactly what they were selling in Europe, and it was a total flop, because the people demanding it had never actually driven one, and even if they had, they were only going to buy it used, and a carmaker can't make used cars, only new cars.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The euro wagon is a facelifted previous generation Passat. The didn't make one on the new, US-based platform. Wagon (and hatchback) sales are notoriously poor in the US. We all like SUVs, don't you know?

bhtooefr

TDI
None
And, you can only dictate what people want to buy if you're someone like Apple. And I'm not sure that there's a single carmaker that has Apple levels of sway. Toyota, maybe, but even then...

k.mojo

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE Manual
So the new Passat Tdi will start at 25k and change and comes with a 6 speed. Hmmm.... seriously contemplating my first new car purchase. The old '97 is humming along, but an upgrade would be nice. If any VW execs read this, build a manual tranny tdi wagon and I'm there.

dan30thz28

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed Manual 2013 VW Sportwagen TDI 6-Speed Manual
I will buy a Jetta Sportwagon if I have to, but a Passat wagon would be even better. I'm about 4 years off from buying anything new, so that gives VWoA time to get their heads out of their butts about producing a wagon.

tscottt

TDI
sold: 1998 NB TDI 5-spd
I understand the desires for a wagon version and 4Motion, but I can only imagine there will be additional models introduced should demand be seen. I imagine keeping things as simple as possible to launch a new plant and model is part of the decision combined with the aforementioned low sales volume of wagons. It wouldn't surprise me if the platform spawns a 3-row crossover though.
Anyway, the Times Free Press, Chattanooga's newspaper, has some articles and a video of a drive in the TDI (Link). There are also several videos of the VW Presentation to journalists from the Passat drive on AutoNetwork's YouTube page (Link). You can catch a quick sound of the TDI on some of the videos, so that's nice. Plus, most of the colors are on display.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
80% of JSW sold are TDI.These cars are like SUV,they just get way better mpg for around the same price.All wheel drive on a Tiguan is around 30K.

With the 11 Jetta TDI MSRP 24K cheapen up,the 10 MSRP was around 25K.What VW should of done is offer the Europa package only for the TDI for around the same price as 2010 model.

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
They did a little test shot of the New Passat on "Motorweek" today. I noticed they liked the TDI engine the best!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Any word on official pricing (MSRP/Invoice) and options lists? anything floating around vortex?

tscottt

TDI
Am I missing something from your question 740GLE or abctdi? Pricing and option configurations were discussed in this thread a week and a half ago on page 46 (Link). The direct link to VW's press release is http://media.vw.com/press_releases/2012-volkswagen-passat-pricing.

As far as colors, one of the links I posted yesterday listed the colors to be: Black, Candy White, Glacier Blue, Night Blue, Opera Red, Platinum Gray, Reflex Silver, and Tungsten Silver. I've found there are tons of videos with shots of the assembly line and other production details from the press days.

It's supposed to be available for test drives from dealers somewhere around July 11th with sales starting in September to October.

I've read or watched several videos from the media drives the past couple of weeks. One said the standard seats lacked side bolstering but the comfort sport seats (with leather on the TDI SEL & 2.5 SEL, V-Tex or leather on the 3.6) were very nice.

At this point, my ideal configuration would be the TDI SE with the 6-speed manual with the sunroof and fog lights from the higher spec DSG models. Maybe I'd want the comfort sport seats as well. I would happily do without the leather, KESSY, wood grain trim, and exterior chrome trim from the SEL. I'm ambivalent on navigation which works well since it's not available with a manual transmission. Wheels we'll just have to see. Realistically, VW will not make this dream configuration of mine so I'll settle for the base TDI SE 6-speed and live without the window to the sky.

Also, I've been wondering since news has picked up--when does the Passat get its own Model Specific Forum here at Fred's?

bhtooefr

TDI
None
To get the sunroof and a manual, you have to buy a DSG (a base model will do) and delete the DSG.

tscottt

TDI
I suppose that's another option. Not sure it would be worth doing a transmission swap since undoubtedly VW won't be in the business of allowing things like DSG to be deleted from the trim spec. Even if they did, I wonder how accurate such an order would be when done in that unusual manner. Could end up with all sorts of strange combinations.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
no sunroof on a stick?? no buyer. keep my 11 golf highline....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I read that they kept the option list so strict (i want to resist using a name here) to keep the number of combinations the build line sees, it went something like 120 different kind of cars coming off the line, now it's down to 16, that includes engine and then trim, and that's all to save cash.

Hopefully 2013 runs will be more forgiving for what people actual want, not what we're being told what we want.

Chitty, thanks for the link, I hadn't look at that in a while. I remember seeing some tech option sheets for the 2010's and 2011 jettas the dealers use that have the invoice price on options and the such, to really break the price down, guess we'll have to wait for that.