2010 TDI golf confirmed for North America

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
winterlocked said:
Hi fellas,

Weird news - VW are dropping the Jetta Sportwagen in NA and replacing it with... a golf sportwagen? Made in Mexico??
Sounds like a simple badge change to me.:confused: The article states that VW is trying to revive the Golf family name in Canada, so perhaps this is only for the Candian market. I'm guessing we'll still have the Rabbit, Jetta, and JSW in the US, no?

Last edited:

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Interesting article. At least it will be a TDI and come in the 3 door...that is what my wife wants. I am not clear on why they would stop making the Jetta Sportwagen...dealers can not keep them on the lots. It seems that VW can not make up its mind on what wagons to keep on the line and which to drop from production. I suppose they know what they are doing. What would they do...just stretch the chassis on the 5 door Golf?

On a side note...my wife said she wants me to order the Rabbit symbol to replace the Golf logo on the hatch!

birkie

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 jetta wagon, red
coolbreeze said:
seems like my 09 jsw is a classic already?:confused:
If indeed the 2010 models in North America will be MKVI, then it looks like it. I dug up some photos of the MKVI European golf variant to get a taste of what the JSW successor will look like:

http://www.autoscoops.eu/autoforum/viewtopic.php?t=18244

As I understand it, the MKVI series focuses on economizing production costs and lowering production time. It's currently slated to last until around 2012, so even the MKVI seems to be almost vintage soon!

(Edit: found the link!)
http://www.motorauthority.com/vw-expands-new-golf-models-further-with-green-model-due-by-2012.html

2012 or so will bring the new MQB transverse modular platform, which will be shared with just about all transverse compact through midsized cars. It allows for variations in wheelbase, height, etc, so the Golf, Jetta, and Passat shall share the basic platform soon.

Last edited:

HeAvYfUeL

Veteran Member
TDI
2009, Golf Variant, DSG
Jetta Wagon is a Golf Variant in Europe. Makes it easier for VW,maybe. And I just ordered a new 2009 Jetta Wagon, which is build in Mexico, again. Now I just have to place a golf logo on the back of my jetta to make it a 2010 !:D

tiguando

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan (Hopefully)
"In presenting the new 2010 Golf, Volkswagen also announced that it was
going back to using the Golf name for its compact hatchback in Canada. The
2010 Golf will replace the current 2009 Rabbit. Volkswagen explained that the
name change back to Golf will reunite the Golf family in Canada."

What they will offer in Canada does not translate to what they will offer in the US. Currently they offer both the Mk IV City Golf and Mk V Rabbit as well as the Mk IV City Jetta and Mk V Jetta/JSW. The "City" versions are older Mk IV models made in Mexico with a refreshed front and back.

Still, the current Mk V and upcoming Mk VI Rabbits are just rebadged Golfs.

The Rabbit name will live on in the USA though it will be interesting to see how they handle the Sportwagen. It will undoubtedly still be called the Jetta Sportwagen here but like the Rabbit it will in reality be the same as the Golf Variant. I remember hearing that Volkswagen will be replacing the Jetta Sedan (but not the wagon) with the NCS (New Compact Sedan) made in the Tennessee plant. No idea if they will retain the Jetta name but I think they will.

So we could see this in a couple years, at least briefly:

Rabbit (based on Mk VI Golf, made in Germany)
Jetta (based on NCS, made in USA)
Jetta Sportwagen (based on Mk VI Golf Variant, made in Mexico)

Last edited:

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I can understand there being some differences between North America and Europe when it comes to car designs. But why would VW pay to have an extra model in Canada when its not for sale in the US? That price difference could be made up if they only ran the one assembly line as opposed to two. Sometimes I wish I was a consultant because my understanding of logistics is scary...many people would be fired/retrained.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
VW no doubt has a secret vice president whose job it is to mess up both marketing and production! Can't keep Jetta Sportwagens in stock? Sumpin' must be wrong with them, so quit making them!! Similar logic caused the 1990s Eurovan to never be offered with a TDI or a stick shift.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
So Canada gets the Golf wagon (? Club edition) does the US keep the Jetta wagon or do we go golfing?

Last edited:

andylyco

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW CR TDI 6 spd MT
We sold our Audi TT in Nov 2007 thinking that the JSW was arriving early 2008, so I have been following the Mk5 Golf Variant (JSW) USA release process since mid 2007. I spoke with countless dealers, regional reps, VWOA, even took a trip to Berlin Sept 2008 to take some pictures and see the Mk6 in person. I remember hearing rumors of 4motion, DSG only, myriad option packages, etc. I've read everything I could get my hands on about engine choices, the release of various drivetrains in different countries, factory build locations and more. You know how I sum up Volkswagen product selection in the USA? You don't know what you're getting until the truck drops it off at the dealer. NOBODY could give me concrete answers about various options or even a firm date for availability, and I spoke with some relatively higher-ups in VWOA and VAG.
These threads sure are good for daydreaming, though... ;-)

bildubtdi

TDI
'02 Jetta TDI 5spd, '05 Jetta TDI 5spd wagon
DickSilver said:
VW no doubt has a secret vice president whose job it is to mess up both marketing and production! Can't keep Jetta Sportwagens in stock? Sumpin' must be wrong with them, so quit making them!! Similar logic caused the 1990s Eurovan to never be offered with a TDI or a stick shift.
I can't explain the logic, but my 93 Eurovan MV Weekender had a 5-speed.
All I want is a smallish AWD/TDI/manual combo. Is that so much to ask? They're all over Europe. If VW won't do it, maybe Subaru will.

TDI
2003 Jetta, 2010 Golf
At the Washington Auto Show last weekend, a VW salesman told me the new model would have its name changed back to Golf when it goes on sale this fall. Then again, he also told me the Tiguan TDI would be on sale here within 2 months. I just assumed he was drunk.

Frank TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jatta TDI- 1999 Golf TDI
VW has to be the most mis-managed automobile company when it comes to marketing. Why would you stop making a vehicle that you CAN'T keep on the lot. Isn't that the purpose of making a product, to sell it? I'm waiting delivery of a 2009 Jetta sportwagen. I had to eliminate the Nav system. I was told that they didn't have enough of them to put in the wagen and that was holding up the delivery of my vehicle. VW needs to change its attitude in regard to making vehicles that the PEOPLE want, not what VW thinks we need.

oilburnin'

TDI
04 golf gls tdi, 91 jetta diesel n/a 1.6l
just relax

golfs and jettas are and always have been related and interchangeable. a jetta is just a golf with a trunk. the problem is you seem to think the VW world revolves around NA. I can't see any production line changes other than badges and trim. outside the USA and Canada the jetta name is not so special. A3 and A4 bodied cars were called vento and bora elsewhere. no biggie. just ask your dealer to put J-E-T-T-A on your tailgate or else.:rolleyes:

dr61

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI on order
Frank TDI said:
VW has to be the most mis-managed automobile company when it comes to marketing. Why would you stop making a vehicle that you CAN'T keep on the lot.
It seems to me that the only thing they would stop making is the Jetta badge on the Sportwagen for Canada, maybe the US, replaced by a Golf badge, like in Europe (IF this report is accurate). The Golf Variant (= Jetta Sportwagen) is extremely popular in Europe; one reason we don't get many.

TDIMOFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jstta TDI
Frank TDI said:
VW has to be the most mis-managed automobile company when it comes to marketing. Why would you stop making a vehicle that you CAN'T keep on the lot. Isn't that the purpose of making a product, to sell it? I'm waiting delivery of a 2009 Jetta sportwagen. I had to eliminate the Nav system. I was told that they didn't have enough of them to put in the wagen and that was holding up the delivery of my vehicle. VW needs to change its attitude in regard to making vehicles that the PEOPLE want, not what VW thinks we need.
I read somewhere that VW is sort of unifying the line using common base parts in order to streamline the manufacturing process The Electronics package are clearly part of this concept with the RNS-510 being common to ALL VW models.
It is amazing that they can't maintain a stock of a $2000+ option.
I know that when I went to the dealership I wanted factory Navigation. I was told that I would have to wait because the navigation makes it into so few Jettas. I said I was willing to wait. It took a month to get a TDI with Nav, and I was very lucky that the wait was so short. I could have bought the exact car I wanted without NAV the first time I went to the dealership.
The JSW had basically the same problem. They don't make as many of them. It seems to me that VW is not exactly cranking these cars out on a whole sale basis but are building them more or less to dealership order. Lets face it in this day and age dealerships do NOT want larg inventories of hard to sell automobiles sitting on the lot. Business wise it is much smarter to have people LINED up to buy a car than to have an excess of cars sitting on the dock.
VW seems to be fine tuning what they want to build in mexico and what they plan to build in their new factory in the USA.
Look The econemy is NOT good for automobile manufactures (except for large gifts from the taxpayers) I don't see VW looking for hand outs. If you want a VW the way you want it with nav and all the other features. then Get in line and be prepared to wait.
I highly recommend asking if a deposit will speed things up. I placed $500 down on the exact car I wanted which was on the DOCK in order to insure that the car would be MINE. As it turns out that motivated the shop enough to acquire my car from a brother dealership making the wait shorter. Oh and BTW even though there is a perceived shortage of these cars Do not pay any sort of premium for the car. My dealership never charges above sticker. (as it turned out I paid dealer invoice). Deals are there to be had.

MY RNS-510's Sirius sat radio has crapped out and I have at least a month of waiting time in front of me before I will have a replacment Head unit in my car. Oh and it will be a refurb unit to boot NOT a NEW RNS-510 which pisses me off.

Those of you waiting for a TDI of any sort will be very pleased with the car when you get it. Mine is truly one of the best cars I have ever owned from many points of view.

TDIMOFO

tiguando

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan (Hopefully)
oilburnin' said:
golfs and jettas are and always have been related and interchangeable. a jetta is just a golf with a trunk. the problem is you seem to think the VW world revolves around NA. I can't see any production line changes other than badges and trim. outside the USA and Canada the jetta name is not so special. A3 and A4 bodied cars were called vento and bora elsewhere. no biggie. just ask your dealer to put J-E-T-T-A on your tailgate or else.:rolleyes:
I don't think anyone was arguing that.

At least with the Mk IV the Golf and Jetta the front ends actually looked different from each other.

Don't forget that the Jetta is being replaced by the NCS being built in the Tennessee, USA plant. It's hard to tell what Volkswagen will do. Some say it will be larger with a longer wheelbase and some say it will be smaller. Some say it will be based on the current Mk V but with a stripped down interior which would be interesting since the Mk VI Golf/Rabbit has an improved interior among other things.

The number 1 priority is that we have larger and more plentiful cupholders. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
andylyco said:
You know how I sum up Volkswagen product selection in the USA? You don't know what you're getting until the truck drops it off at the dealer. NOBODY could give me concrete answers about various options or even a firm date for availability, and I spoke with some relatively higher-ups in VWOA and VAG.
These threads sure are good for daydreaming, though... ;-)
Agreed totally.

I am excited to see this vehicle in person in Toronto next week. I will ask the question, "When is the TDI coming?" just to see the reaction from the dealer manning the booth, I will take their answer with a bucket of salt.

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
DickSilver said:
The same VP must screw up the owners manuals with misinformation.

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
They are an odd company. How many car companies will have a new model start mid year cycle so you end up with two of the same year names(as in the 05 Jetta new and old body style) but very different models which adds confusion to everything. While the parts or service dept tell you all parts ordering is serial number driven, why then does the dealer call and say, your car won't be ready today, they shipped the wrong part? It seems that VW is disorganized and in a state of constant confusion.

One year you get a Jetta filled with goodies. Then, VW reverts to past practices and strips the car making some of the options unavailable. I totally don't understand their mentality. But, I do enjoy my Jetta TDI.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
WVU TDI said:
Any rumors on what a 2 door TDI Golf VI will cost?
The Euro lost about 23% of its value between July and December, but has rebounded about halfway since then.

Presumably VAG can at least break even on the Golf/Rabbit at the current exchange rate. I am not sure if this is possible versus the Canadian dollar, I guess VWoC will just jack up the price and try to keep Canadians from buying cars in the US and sneaking them back across the border. Maybe putting a Golf badge on the Canadian models and a Rabbit badge on the American ones is part of the scheme to prevent such activities.

The Mk6 was supposed to be designed so that it would take fewer man-hours to assemble. Not sure how successful that effort was.

drshaws

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT
bildubtdi said:
I can't explain the logic, but my 93 Eurovan MV Weekender had a 5-speed.
All I want is a smallish AWD/TDI/manual combo. Is that so much to ask? They're all over Europe. If VW won't do it, maybe Subaru will.
Seconded. I'm pining for the Forester (or Outback Sport) diesel. If the Tiguan had the right options (see above), or if they tossed some 4motion in the JSW TDI, it would be on the list, too.

steeven001

TDI
None yet
Well I saw the new golf at the Canadian Auto Show. It's behind ropes so you can't touch it or go in it. It's a nice looking car.

I asked about release dates they said the gas versions will be here around October and the TDI will be here in spring 2010. I'm hoping they're wrong because these people don't seem to know a whole lot about future cars coming.

In the Audi section I asked about the A3 TDI and they said that's coming spring 2010. They also said with a manual transmission and quattro but I don't believe them either seeing as the current gas models don't even have a manual gearbox available with quattro on the A3 or A4.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
CMB430 said:
I am not clear on why they would stop making the Jetta Sportwagen...
Because it's a Golf Variant in Europe (priced closer to the Golf and a lot cheaper than the Jetta), and they will update the styling in Summer to make it look more like the Golf VI. The Jetta will most likely get it's own distinct front end again. So it would make sense to use the Golf name for two cars that look alike.

That's only my speculation...

dr61

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI on order
sjvicker said:
Isn't the Golf about 300lbs lighter than the Jetta? Seems like a significant amount for fuel savings and performance reasons.
According to the VW web site:
Golf (Rabbit) 2 door 2975 lb
Golf (Rabbit) 4 door 3072 lb
Jetta sedan 4 door 3230 lb

The Sportwagen is not much different than the sedan Jetta.