Rabbit GT TDI confirmed at Dealer Meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

twigless

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI 5-speed, 2002 Jetta GLS TDI auto (wife's)
I have access to the Dealer Meeting Presentation from mid-November. I just read through all 256 pages of the slideshow, and there are a few very interesting and exciting things coming in the next few years. This meeting really revolved around the plan to get to 500k units by 2012, rather than talking about the 800k/2018 goal. There are plenty of neat things to summarize, but only one that needs mentioning on this site:
December 2009 will be the release of the Rabbit GT TDI. Yep, you read that correctly: GT TDI. Sounds like a sport version, eh?
Right at the beginning of October/end of September will be the A6 GTI and Rabbit GT launch, and supposedly a Sportwagen facelift in September (probably just head/taillights to match the A6).
The Rabbit will have nav available as an option (RNS-510). Lots of nice upgrades to the Rabbit, should make it quite a bit more quiet.
To that measure, VW also announces that they are not attempting to make the Rabbit an "entry level" vehicle, but that another vehicle will come in 2010 that will fill the "entry" position... YEAHHHHH!!!
Other news: Touareg V6 TDI to launch in May, planning 20% mix of TDI v 80% gas. 25% better economy (est 17/25, best in class). 407 ft-lbs.
By the way, 90 of the Touareg TDIs will be moving around starting THIS month (December)... marketing vehicles. In May, each dealer will get one TDI T-rag, and in June will begin production of MY10 vehicles (probably will arrive in late Aug/early Sept, as usual).
Also: Special Editions: Touareg Lux package will have the R50 body kit, should come in May 2009, available also in TDI trim.
Jetta TDI Cup edition to arrive in Dec '09, outfitted with the Thunderbunny body kit and plenty of other sport goodies (18", sport susp, GLI wheel, etc, but no power increase... so far).

THAT'S THE NEWS!!!
-Mike

twigless

Veteran Member
TDI
Really?!? No excited responses of "FINALLY!!! A RABBIT TDI!"?
Or perhaps everyone is waiting on vaporware to become metal and rubber in your driveway...

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
I'll believe it when it rolls off the hauler and I can touch it. :) Still rather have an Impreza Oiler, I want AWD, I have led a life of understeer and I'm sick of it. :D

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Many of these plans were made by VW prior to the US government spending billions to bail out the Big3. I doubt that VW will be so optimistic in the US market sales when they see the price point slashing of GM/Ford/Chrysler. Okay, they release the GT TDI in the US in a year or so ...what ever. It would have been a real big thing last year with the price of fuel going through the roof. A penny short for a dollar long.

After the Big3 get their lots filled with 50% off everything, cashback/rebates/zero finance/8 months free... it'll just be a small party of diehard Golf TDI'ers looking for the A6 GT-TDI... now won't it? Oh I forgot to mention, The Big3 will offer free gas for lifetime of the car too....

Think I'm joking?

lovingHDTV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL Indigo Blue
BrianCT said:
Many of these plans were made by VW prior to the US government spending billions to bail out the Big3. I doubt that VW will be so optimistic in the US market sales when they see the price point slashing of GM/Ford/Chrysler. Okay, they release the GT TDI in the US in a year or so ...what ever. It would have been a real big thing last year with the price of fuel going through the roof. A penny short for a dollar long.

After the Big3 get their lots filled with 50% off everything, cashback/rebates/zero finance/8 months free... it'll just be a small party of diehard Golf TDI'ers looking for the A6 GT-TDI... now won't it? Oh I forgot to mention, The Big3 will offer free gas for lifetime of the car too....

Think I'm joking?
Fuel prices will not stay this low in the future, this is an undershoot that followed the overshoot earlier this year.

more reading:
http://www.kiplinger.com/businessre...y_Prices_Not_Heading_for_Collapse_081208.html

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
lovingHDTV said:
Fuel prices will not stay this low in the future, this is an undershoot that followed the overshoot earlier this year.

more reading:
http://www.kiplinger.com/businessresource/forecast/archive/Energy_Prices_Not_Heading_for_Collapse_081208.html
Don't matter. Diesel will be way more then gasoline no matter what price point these fuels reach in the future. Psychologically standing at the pumps seeing diesel $1.00 to $2.00 more per gallon will cause the average consumer to run away for even thinking "diesel."

Another point, you can't compete if the competition does not have rules. When the US government dumps it's billions into the pockets of the BIG3 you'll see rediculous pricing on their productions promoting sales. So a dude looking at a mid size or compact would make a choice over thousands of dollars between similar sized vehicles, one domestic and the other VW. Drop $21,000 on a GT-TDI or drop $13,999 on a Focus with huge perks?

Math to me means domestic.

Diesel will be trampled in pricing compared to gasoline.

Tough and tight economy means small welcoming party for the GT-TDI.

Myself, I'd love a GT-TDI. But waiting another year to a year and a half for a what if...

is just that.

What if!

BrianCT

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Any news on a Tiggy (Tiguan) TDI?

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
I think in the future you will see VW reducing its goals for sales in the US. They are consciously moving upmarket because they can't seem to figure out the US auto market.

Kyuss

Veteran Member
TDI
White '02 Golf
I think it's a marvelous idea! SWEEEET! Can't wait to see it if it does get here. I tend to think it will, however the economic concerns expressed above certainly are valid. American market will be tough to stand up against price wise. I think the GT TDI Rabbit will have a BIG welcoming party, BrianCT...unfortunatly most won't be forking out any cash!!

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Kyuss said:
I think the GT TDI Rabbit will have a BIG welcoming party, BrianCT...unfortunatly most won't be forking out any cash!!
I'd buy this at $23,000 in a 6-speed manual in GTI form ...if it was a TDI.

Here's some photos of the new MKVI.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
That is a nice car, but why the hell can't they put AWD on it if the buyer wants it? Wheelspin is fun, but putting the power down is more fun. :)

twigless

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry, no mention of Tiguan TDI. or Passat, for that matter. Back in May this year I was told to expect the Tiguan and Passat in TDI sometime early next year, but I'm sure that's not happening... I'm keeping my fingers crossed for early 2010, when my wife's BMW lease is up! There will be a Tiguan TDI in my driveway.

tdisky

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (hers)
twigless, thanks for the post.

Yeah, the Rabbit GT TDI (or is it the other way around?) sounds great, if the engine is tuned higher than the stock 140/236. If it is, I'm gittin' one. If not, I'll still consider a new Jetta. But I *love* my 2004!

mrchaotica

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle
twigless said:
To that measure, VW also announces that they are not attempting to make the Rabbit an "entry level" vehicle, but that another vehicle will come in 2010 that will fill the "entry" position... YEAHHHHH!!!
I hope it's a new New Beetle based on the Up! platform.

MunchausenDrive

Veteran Member
TDI
None... yet
Are we simply going to have to wait for it to show up or will we be able to pre-order, or at least get on a waiting-list?

jrivers804

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1998, White
It better be "tuned" for fuel economy or don't even bother. VW needs to sell diesel cars for fuel economy and let the "tuners" "chip" them if they want, that or sell TWO different cars. I would love to see some of VW's "blue..." the cars built for max fuel economy. Also, every VW I've ever bought has been a manual transmission, a real three pedal maunual. VW needs to keep selling manual transmission as well as automatic or DSG. But please keep offering true maunuals in ALL trim lines.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
lovingHDTV said:

more reading:
http://www.kiplinger.com/businessre...y_Prices_Not_Heading_for_Collapse_081208.html
A healthy number of refinery upgrades and new refinery projects are too far along to be cancelled now. They were approved and construction started despite high labor and material costs. The global recession reduces the construction costs, or at least limits the likelihood of cost increases.

Capital spending is down, that's true, but companies that want to be in the refining business in 12-24 months cannot keep producing the same mix of gasoline and distillates. They have to spend money to make money.

I don't know if I would be a customer for a Rabbit GT TDI, but I might be depending on the price of the standard Rabbit TDI.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Very interesting read on future diesel prices! Looks like my next car purchase should be a Honda Fit or Chevrolet Volt.

And I will not be selling my old Honda Trail 90! With an 8 mile commute to work and 1-200 mpg, it still looks like the most economical way to get to work. No matter what the price of gas or diesel.

lovingHDTV said:

more reading:
http://www.kiplinger.com/businessresource/forecast/archive/Energy_Prices_Not_Heading_for_Collapse_081208.html

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
TRed,
Did I see something a few months back about some huge refinery project in India to make primarily diesel?

Seems to me diesel would be very good for a "Third world" economy looking to expand their economy. Perhaps not so good for a "First World" nation with an existing infrastructure heavily dependent on RUG.

TornadoRed said:
A healthy number of refinery upgrades and new refinery projects are too far along to be cancelled now. They were approved and construction started despite high labor and material costs. The global recession reduces the construction costs, or at least limits the likelihood of cost increases.

Capital spending is down, that's true, but companies that want to be in the refining business in 12-24 months cannot keep producing the same mix of gasoline and distillates. They have to spend money to make money.

I don't know if I would be a customer for a Rabbit GT TDI, but I might be depending on the price of the standard Rabbit TDI.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
john.jackson9213 said:
TRed,
Did I see something a few months back about some huge refinery project in India to make primarily diesel?

Seems to me diesel would be very good for a "Third world" economy looking to expand their economy. Perhaps not so good for a "First World" nation with an existing infrastructure heavily dependent on RUG.
I can't point to any particular article right now, but I've read many over the past 18 months ago listing refinery projects in the Caribbean, in Eastern Europe, in the Persian Gulf area, in South Asia and Southeast Asia and in China.

Buying expensive crude and turning it into inexpensive gasoline was a very harsh learning experience for a lot of folks, last year and earlier this year. Canceling these projects means either 1) they are predicting that gasoline production will soon become profitable and stay that way for the next 5+ years, or 2) refinery owners and managers are planning to go into a completely different business in the near future.

That's why I discount the idea that refinery upgrade cancellations will be widespread. If the economics made sense when the projects were approved, then they should make even more sense now.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI

willafb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI/2015 Golf SE
i think it will be a mistake if they dont offer a rabbit 5-door TDI.... assuming that the GT TDI is only offered as a three door...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.