Lucas Fuel Treatment Good or Bad?

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
The product is good.

Vitamin pills may be good also. If you need them use them if you don't they are a waste of money, just like most "good" automotive additives.

I would have to guess far more good additives are used when not needed as those used when they can do some good.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I've not seen any data from this additive manufacturer, so I can't comment. See this thread if you are in the US.

Canadian fuel should be good to go.

Last edited:

Diesel Addict

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (manual)
There are better diesel additives than this one which didn't score very well on the Spicer Lubricity Test and contains no cetane booster. You'd be better off with Red Line, Amsoil, or Stanadyne.

Regarding the Lucas oil additive, based on my own experience it will NOT foam in an engine, but other than that I don't think it's useful and it may even do more harm than good.

Last edited:

redlinedave

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jetta wagon
Joe_Meehan said:
The product is good.

Vitamin pills may be good also. If you need them use them if you don't they are a waste of money, just like most "good" automotive additives.

I would have to guess far more good additives are used when not needed as those used when they can do some good.
Eggs are good,but they are better with salt and pepper.:D

joevat

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI PD
what about 5w40 lucas syntec oil on a PD? on the bottle it states that it exceeds vw 505.01
so is the oil just as good as elf DID? or motul?found this a canadian tire and was about $15/L.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
joevat said:
what about 5w40 lucas syntec oil on a PD? on the bottle it states that it exceeds vw 505.01
so is the oil just as good as elf DID? or motul?found this a canadian tire and was about $15/L.
For $15 a liter, I will just buy ELF Solaris 507 at ($11.50) TDI Parts.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
joevat said:
Uhh, don't do that.

Diesel Addict

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (manual)
I've never seen a 5W-40 Lucas oil, but it more than likely would perform adequately in a PD, especially if it supposedly exceeds the 505.01 standard.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
you can get vw 507.00 spec oil at a dealer (have them order with the pn# which i believe is GVW052195M2) for $7/L - just need to purchase 12L

i also am not to sure if lucas "505.01" is on the vw approved list... i could be wrong but i don't think it is... (kinda like the amsoil "505.01")...

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
milehighassassin said:
and why not?
Brian already posted a link about their oil additives. I question their product and their marketing (did even before owning a TDI). Amsoil I can believe, Lucas not so much. As was said, good 505.01+ oils are available at half the cost of the Lucas.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Diesel Addict said:
I've never seen a 5W-40 Lucas oil, but it more than likely would perform adequately in a PD, especially if it supposedly exceeds the 505.01 standard.
Lucas Semi Syn 10W40 / is not 15 a quart it will probably perform as well as Delvac or DEO Schaeffers S9000 in a PD. Slightly thinner than DEO and thicker than Delvac or S9000. If you look there is a Ford SPEC and they could easily build a oil with the required additive package for Ford which is just like 505.01.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dhdenney said:
Brian already posted a link about their oil additives. I question their product and their marketing (did even before owning a TDI). Amsoil I can believe, Lucas not so much. As was said, good 505.01+ oils are available at half the cost of the Lucas.
and where is this link? They seem to turn in good UOA's.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
milehighassassin said:
So I still don't know what you are talking about.
Did you follow the link in post #5? The one to BITOG? The one that shows how Lucas oil additive defeats the anti-foaming agents in both Pennzoil 80W140 & Delo 400? Because that's what dhdenney is talking about - Lucas oil additives.
dhdenney said:
Brian already posted a link about their oil additives.
Back on topic, I would personally stick with Power Service, Howes, Stanadyne, Primrose or FPPF fuel additives. I have used PS, Howes & Stanadyne and all seem to help in the areas they are designed for - I have never had a problem when running one of them at the recommended dose. I find Lucas' advertising disingenuous and misleading and would hesitate to purchase anything from them.

burpod said:
i also am not to sure if lucas "505.01" is on the vw approved list... i could be wrong but i don't think it is... (kinda like the amsoil "505.01")
You are 100% correct, neither company has any oil on the 505.01 or 507.00 approved oils lists.

Last edited:

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I mentioned that I was going to run ELF 507 for the price of the Schafers and he said don't do that, and then referenced the link in post #5. That link had NOTHING about ELF in there.

I am not talking about the Lucas additives. Someone talked about how you can run the Lucas oil and it sounds good, but for that price I will run ELF 507, until someone can show me how the 507 is not any good.

The UOA's for ELF 507 Solaris have looked pretty good.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
scurvy said:
Did you follow the link in post #5? The one to BITOG? The one that shows how Lucas oil additive defeats the anti-foaming agents in both Pennzoil 80W140 & Delo 400? Because that's what dhdenney is talking about - Lucas oil additives.
Thank you. I didn't mean for my comments to derail this thread at all.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
scurvy said:
(snip) Back on topic, I would personally stick with Power Service, Howes, Stanadyne, Primrose or FPPF fuel additives. (snip)
__. It may be all advertising, but PS, Stanadyne, Primrose and FPPF claim to add lubricity, boost cetane, handle water, clean fuel systems, and (for some formulations) lower the gel point. Howes and Lucas don't claim to do all this and appear to be aimed at the heavy-duty truck market. If I'm going to run an additive, I want it to "do everything". I have a feeling that Howes (especially) is great for lubricity and anti-gel but may not have much of a hit for the other effects. The "word on the board" seems to be that Lucas doesn't seem to do much positive in TDI's.

__. Again, this is all my subjective take on it but I've been reading up on all this stuff for nearly six years and most peoples' experience seems pretty consistent.