New Passat TDI confirmed for U.S.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Pricing may start at $20k. However, given that many Jettas are now listing at $26-$28k, have to assume that the range will mostly list above $25k, with TDIs at $30 plus k along with the V6
You need to back this one up. Otherwise, this is just rumor mongering. Predicting the future is also a bit rough. There are plenty of Camry's and Accord's that go out the door with their base prices. Why wouldn't Passat do this as well?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Passat 2.5s may well go out the door at the base price, but even the $20k price isn't confirmed, and it is just for the base model.

I'm almost certain that you won't see a TDI for less than $25k, and based on price disparities elsewhere in VW's lineup, $26k+ is realistic.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Agreed Jetta TDIs starting at 23-24K Jetta Sportwagens TDI start at 25K.

I don't forsee a Passat TDI starting any lower than 27K, more along 30K.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Pricing may start at $20k. However, given that many Jettas are now listing at $26-$28k, have to assume that the range will mostly list above $25k, with TDIs at $30 plus k along with the V6
Hm... let's compare German market prices (containing 19% VAT and lots of room for negotiation, Germans don't buy cars at list price, I compared 4motion cars since theres no V6 FWD Passat in Europe)
Euro Passat VR6 4motion Highline: 41,425€
Euro Passat 2.0 TDI 4motion Highline: 34,275€

Hard to believe a 4-cylinder TDI could be more expensive than a VR6 gasser in other markets. (BlueTDI urea based SCR system as used in the American Passat adds about 1300€ to the price, but isn't available with 4motion)

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Funny article on autobild.de

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/vw-passat-fuer-den-us-markt-1334961.html?bild=1&now=30#mmg

Autobild wants VW to import the American Passat. They say the 5-cylinder or VR6 wouldn't work in Europe, but the TDI would. And a larger car for cheap would certainly sell in today's economy, who cares about cheaper interior materials. Then they do some currency conversion (without thinking about VAT) and proclaim that this American Passat is cheaper than a Golf. (which it isn't if you compare pre-VAT prices)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yeah but whats the base trim line include on the euro passat Bluemotion vs VR6 that will never see the light of day over on the americanized stripped model?

You think we'll get that Lane Assist? Parking Assist? How many little things won't be in the American model?

Heck they cut the trunk tie down anchors on the Mk5 starting in what 2007?

They'll cut things from the euro specs to keep the price down as the're trying to compete with Kia not be an ecconomical option for BMW.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
I didn't compare base model prices, I compared Highline prices, because the VR6 is Highline only.
Stuff like Lane Assist/Parking Assist is optional even in Highline.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
To clarify myself, my guess is the "highline" of the passat TDI for America will be similar to the new 2011 Jetta TDI in that some options freatures stripped off of it to keep costs down.

Then the Jetta GLI will be pared to the Passat VR6 and have even more goodies standard at a higher price.

Cause as of right now there is no Highline/lowline for American TDIs, you're all in with an option of a radio, I have a feeling they'll keep it this way. Another way to think about it too is they'll prob keep the variables low at the new Tenn Plant to work out the bugs, then add in more options as the years go by.

Hopefully they'll have a bunch of gauges, and full MFI on the new Passat and not go as stripped as the Jetta went.

Last edited:

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
To clarify myself, my guess is the "highline" of the passat TDI for America will be similar to the new 2011 Jetta TDI in that some options freatures stripped off of it to keep costs down.

Then the Jetta GLI will be pared to the Passat VR6 and have even more goodies standard at a higher price.

Cause as of right now there is no Highline/lowline for American TDIs, you're all in with an option of a radio, I have a feeling they'll keep it this way. Another way to think about it too is they'll prob keep the variables low at the new Tenn Plant to work out the bugs, then add in more options as the years go by.

Hopefully they'll have a bunch of gauges, and full MFI on the new Passat and not go as stripped as the Jetta went.
I'm thinking I'd rather a Jetta GLI than a Passat highline VR6. The 2.0T is a very nice engine and much more efficient than the VR6. For that matter I'd get a highline CC 2.0T before an Amerissat 2.5 or VR6.

But what I really lust for is another Passat wagon. Given that 2.0T seems unlikely in the N. America Passat except the CC, the TDI would be the way to go.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
In the US, the Jetta TDIs (fairest comparison, as they're the only currently available Americanized VW with a diesel) are halfway in between SE and SEL trim (S = Trendline, SE = Comfortline, SEL = Highline.) The TDI is equivalent to an SE + Sunroof package + MFD + disc brakes, and the TDI + Navigation package is equivalent to an SEL, but with 16" wheels instead of 17".

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I think VW/Audi has begun to approach the diesel offerings similar to the hybrid offereings. Load up the standards with few options to make the additional engine costs more tolerable. I don't think a new US Passat TDI will be under $30, otherwise there won't be enough price difference between the Passat and Jetta to help with an upsell or a downsell, depending on the customer's true financial situation.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
How do you figure many new Jettas are listing for $26k-$28k?? A fully loaded TDI (the most expensive Jetta currently available in the U.S.) stickers for a hair over $26k, and that's with the DSG. A 6MT variant of the same car is under $25k. Forego the navigation package (which statistics in previous models have shown, most people will do), and you're at a hair over $24k for the DSG model and just under $23k for the 6MT. Point being, you can't even touch $28k in the current Jetta and most models (SE auto) will be in the $20k-$22k range. If the new Passat is starting at $20k like has been reported, I'd expect that most models will be selling for $23k-$25k with the fully loaded VR6 version coming in around the $30k mark. I suspect the TDI model will be optioned similar to the Jetta TDI (i.e., with many standard features) and will come in around the $25k-$26k range. Anything more than that, and VW might as well have kept the expensive B6 model around.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Looks like the Passat might use the Polo GTI cluster, rather than the standard Polo cluster.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Sounds like the Jetta and Passat are virtually indistinguishable other than size. Strange.
Personally, I like the idea of the same car being available in differing sizes. I have often thought that the Mini design would sell well in larger versions- Mini, Midi, and Maxi. There should be some significant cost savings in design, manufacture, and marketing. I suspect we will also see fairly long design cycles with the new J/P. VW is showing some evidence of returning to its roots.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Also, the Passat isn't decontented like the Jetta. Even the base model will have 4 wheel disc brakes & IRS, and there looks like a lot of options (or standard on SE and SEL) that the Jetta doesn't even offer anymore, such as dual zone AC, leather, more radio/nav options, power seats (both sides), etc.

Looking at the pics I can't tell if the trunk hinges are like the new Jetta or like our older cars. guess I've never really paid attention to them!

But the fact there is a manual available with both the 2.5 and TDI makes me think they are actually paying attention to what current customers (us!) have been saying. Yippee for that! :D

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Personally, I like the idea of the same car being available in differing sizes. I have often thought that the Mini design would sell well in larger versions- Mini, Midi, and Maxi. There should be some significant cost savings in design, manufacture, and marketing. I suspect we will also see fairly long design cycles with the new J/P. VW is showing some evidence of returning to its roots.

I called it strange. On further consideration, you may be right. If a design is good at one size, it may still be a good design at a scaled up size. It's just a concept that is pretty unique. But within limits, of course. A jetta the size of a suburban would really be strange!

BeetleGo

TDI
What about the current Prius, the Prius Van, and the Prius Mini? I think all three are based on the same platform.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
And, I'd be very unsurprised if the Jetta and Amerissat are on the MQB component matrix - VW's new not-really-a-platform-platform for transverse cars larger than a Lupo - the next Polo, next Golf, and next Eurossat will all be on MQB.

(The only cars that VW has said are currently on MQB are the 2nd-gen Sharan and the 2nd-gen SEAT Alhambra (same thing,) though.)

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Hmm.

The nose structure actually does look very, very similar. (To the point that I suspect the Euro headlights will swap right in.)

That said, it's longer wheelbase than even the Superb.

3C Passat: 2709 mm
3T Superb: 2761 mm
Amerissat: 2803 mm

(Not saying that it isn't a PQ46 derivative, though.)

BeetleGo

TDI
VW should use the Amerisatt and Eurosatt names. They work for me. :)