New Passat TDI confirmed for U.S.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
I wonder how MPG they pick up by using urea injection?
In Europe you can get a 2.0 TDI (no urea injection, Euro5 emissions) and a 2.0 BlueTDI (urea injection, Euro6 emissions). These are the diesels available for the CC: (Passat sedan and wagon have a few more versions, but to illustrate with/without SCR this will do:)

BlueTDI (143HP) MT: 4.9 l/100km combined
BlueTDI (143HP) DSG: 5.4 l/100km combined

2.0 TDI (140HP) MT: 4.7 l/100km combined
2.0 TDI (140HP) DSG: 5.3 l/100km combined
2.0 TDI (140HP) MT 4motion: 5.5 l/100km combined
2.0 TDI (170HP) MT: 4.9 l/100km combined
2.0 TDI (170HP) DSG: 5.5 l/100km combined
2.0 TDI (170HP) DSG 4motion: 5.9 l/100km combined

(yes, the 140hp 4motion is MT only, the 170hp 4motion is DSG only.)

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Here in the US, most people haven't even heard of fuel-fired auxiliary heaters (and even if they did, they wouldn't pay $1500 for one,) and electric block heaters don't circulate the coolant or run the blower. Combine that with the fact that automatic transmissions are the norm here (remote start doesn't work well with a manual)... and remote start is the preferred way to warm a car here.
(Not defending it, just explaining it.)
It's just comical seeing a country with ridiculously tight NOx emissions standards allowing something like that. (Not that laws anywhere on the world have anything to do with logic)
I found the remote starter on the rental Impala I had last year funny enough to make a short video and e-mail that home. Reactions: "That can't be real, you faked that, right? Nobody would build something that stupid in a car"

Last edited:

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
I'm pretty sure in Europe they strongly advise against letting the car idle to warm it up in the manual (It's illegal anyway) because of the increased wear on the engine and of the increased emissions from a cold engine.
Remote start? Bizarre. If you want a toasty warm car in the morning, get an auxiliary heater.
VW blog says remote start will only work with the automatic transmission. Agreed on the aux heater.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
I'm pretty sure in Europe they strongly advise against letting the car idle to warm it up in the manual (It's illegal anyway) because of the increased wear on the engine and of the increased emissions from a cold engine.
Remote start? Bizarre. If you want a toasty warm car in the morning, get an auxiliary heater.
Agreed, I think remote start is stupid. However, it's a very popular option on GMs, Jeeps/Chryslers/Dodges, and Fords here in the U.S. Heck, I know people that use the remote start literally every time they start their car. In my opinion, it just wastes fuel and increases cold-start wear. But, tell that to the average American that loves the fact that remote start enables them to get the cabin cooling down sooner in summer and heating up faster in winter.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Hm... here, they teach in driver's ed that you NEVER let your car idle to heat it up. Get in your car, start the engine, drive. That's the best way to quickly heat up the engine, the oil and the emissions equipment.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
This may well be my wife's next car (TDI of course). Hopefully it's available without a sunroof!

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Ah, that's a point I forgot about - that an auxiliary heater won't cool your car down.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Nice, that doesn't look half bad! 6spd manual diesel in a full size sedan: That alone makes it a player in my book.

I agree that they should have put the 2.0T gasser in it; given the low base price, the 2.0 should have been chosen over the VR6 IMHO.

Last edited:

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
2012 vw passat (!!) unveil!

http://www.vw.com/en.html

The new NMS is indeed named Passat for the redesigned 2012 model year.

http://blogs.vw.com/passat/2011/01/10/2012-vw-passat-101/

*18.5 US Gallon tank. MPG figs in US HWY MPG*

2.5L I5 - 170 HP, 177 lb/ft - 31 MPG HWY, 573 Miles/Tank. 6M or 6A
3.6L V(R?)6 - 280 HP, 258 lb/ft - 28 MPG HWY, 518 Miles/Tank. 6 DSG
:D 2.0L CR I4 TDI - 140 HP, 236 lb/ft - 43 MPG HWY, 795 Mi/Tank. 6M or 6 DSG :D

Interior certainly look a cut above Camry/Accord/Sonata, and suspension remains four wheel independent, and four wheel disc brakes standard.

Exterior styling will grow on me, as did the Jetta's

Overall, not toooo bad IMO :)

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
http://www.vw.com/en.html
The new NMS is indeed named Passat for the redesigned 2012 model year.
http://blogs.vw.com/passat/2011/01/10/2012-vw-passat-101/
*18.5 US Gallon tank. MPG figs in US HWY MPG*
2.5L I5 - 170 HP, 177 lb/ft - 31 MPG HWY, 573 Miles/Tank. 6M or 6A
3.6L V(R?)6 - 280 HP, 258 lb/ft - 28 MPG HWY, 518 Miles/Tank. 6 DSG
:D 2.0L CR I4 TDI - 140 HP, 236 lb/ft - 43 MPG HWY, 795 Mi/Tank. 6M or 6 DSG :D
Interior certainly look a cut above Camry/Accord/Sonata, and suspension remains four wheel independent, and four wheel disc brakes standard.
Exterior styling will grow on me, as did the Jetta's
Overall, not toooo bad IMO :)
Other than the loss of the 2.0T I agree it looks like a win. I wonder what pricing will be like in Canuckistan. Jetta is entry-level, Golf is much more expensive. I wonder if the top Golf will come out pricier than the base Passat.

I don't dislike the look. Very conservative, even maybe bland, but much less likely to go out of style than say the Sonata or even the current Passat (current Camcord is IMHO already way outdated), and the lines are clean. The interior as well looks good, similar to my B6 in design. I assume they used a highline in the photos as usual. It will be interesting to compare the interior of a base model to my B6 (a base model with "convenience" package, which is more or less "comfortline" in today's nomenclature).

Kudos for the IRS, 4-wheel discs, and availability of manual on the 2.5 and TDI. Good candidate to replace our B5.5.

Much more of a win than the Jetta.

ErikR

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI pk2 5-spd Black/Black
what do you guys think this model will hit the dealers? September? October?

The pics of the white TDI SE are very nice.I like the 800 mile range part.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
As far as getting people warm fast...why not use heated seats. No need to remote start.

And x2 on the use of a frost heater as far as warming the engine before starting.

But ya...everyone here seems to have a remote starter too. Some even have an option that starts and runs the car from time to time during the day.
For the most part I'd say this is a waste....but when there's nowhere to plug in and the temp is below -30 it is a way to keep the vehicle warm enough to start and drive home at the end of the day......still this is probably more of an issue for older vehicles than newer ones.

I started my TDI after sitting out in -27 all day once...ran pretty rough...but it started right away.

Besides...aren't remote starters kind of a non-option for a TDI? Considering how little heat they create when at idle.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Did you notice that it needs Urea solution in the description. It is not a deal killer for me, but then I wonder if the Jetta will be going that route too?

bhtooefr

TDI
None
VW said all along that the Passat would need urea, and originally that was a reason for not releasing it.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I wonder if VW would not have been better served, in the long run, by releasing the Euro B7 here, perhaps decontented somewhat (for example, 2.5 as base engine, fewer bells-and-whistles on low-end models, maybe manual parking brake, regular key start, etc). ISTM that more commonality with global operations results in lower overall costs. However I have no way of knowing what commonality exists in the new one (such as same subframe, suspension, etc). Perhaps there already is a lot of commonality.

The new Passat does look better to me than the Jetta, it is a marked cut above due to the IRS, disc brakes all around, etc. But on the other hand the Jetta will have a 2.0T GLI when the Passat can't get the 2.0T. Go figure.

But then new VW in a brand-new assembly plant... I think I'll wait a couple of years before I consider plunking down hard-earned cash for one. Great news on a manual TDI with electric power steering though.

I also see that taillights appear to be non-LED. That's good. In our climate, when driving in a snowstorm, LED tails are a major fail. They don't generate any heat, and the snow sticks to them essentially making them barely visible. When I drive my B6 on a snow-covered road or in a snowstorm, I always turn on my incandescent rear fog which keeps warm enough to not have snow stick to it.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
That's why the MPG is higher.
We all know what VW likes to release to the presses and MPG numbers, weren't they claiming 50MPG for the CEBA? I just hope the EPA doesn't slap a 35MPG on it where people can pull off 43 all day long in it.

I'll be interested in real world numbers and hope they can pull it off. (Plus I can't wait for people to complain about the added cost urea (i know it's cheap but still added cost) plus DSG service costs)

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
The new Passat TDI needs urea because the higher mass prevents meeting NOx emission limits in the driving cycle. The Golf/Jetta class stays just under the threshold so unless regulations get even more stringent than they are now, the Golf/Jetta/Audi A3 will remain with a LNT and no urea.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Odd the 2007-2011 Dodge 2500 Cummins is able to pull it off with just a NOx trap, no urea needed, where GM and Ford went urea.

I guess there might be a space issue, or to much of an MPG hit, or not enough heat but still. I sure they did their homework. It's just one more system to monitor plus the 10 sensors or so to break.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
But then new VW in a brand-new assembly plant... I think I'll wait a couple of years before I consider plunking down hard-earned cash for one. Great news on a manual TDI with electric power steering though.

There have been many new plants or transplants in the US in recent years. MB, BMW, Hyundai, to name a few. I'm unaware of quality glitches except at MB.

The assembly factory is just one part of a giant web of suppliers. The design of the factory will follow the processes used by VW elsewhere. The final assembly process is remarkable clean, quiet and controlled.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
PlaneCrazy: The Passat does have parts commonality with an existing model.

According to Autoweek, 30-40% with the Jetta.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
PlaneCrazy: The Passat does have parts commonality with an existing model.
According to Autoweek, 30-40% with the Jetta.
Well, the B6 also did with the Mk V Golf!

There have been many new plants or transplants in the US in recent years. MB, BMW, Hyundai, to name a few. I'm unaware of quality glitches except at MB.

The assembly factory is just one part of a giant web of suppliers. The design of the factory will follow the processes used by VW elsewhere. The final assembly process is remarkable clean, quiet and controlled.
As they say in the stock market, past performance is no guarantee of future results but looking at the VW experience does incite one to pause:

First year or two of the Mk IV Jetta was horrible (relay 109, coolant migration to name a few)
First year of the B6 Passat was horrible (mine is second year and has been OK, first year problems include auto trans, ignition interlock failure, HPFP cam follower failure, VR6 oil pump bolt failure leading to engine failure, etc)
First year of the Mexican plant was horrible (my dealer confirms this; he had to fix 'em!)
First year Mk V Jetta had some issues with the 2.5 engine I think

However the Mk VI Golf was pretty good out of the box I think.

Given that these things cost $30k or so, I think it would be prudent to wait. I'd rather buy a CPO low-mileage '08-10 B6 with the second-generation 2.0T.