09/2010 fuel filter canister change?

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Has anyone thought about changing their current style fuel canister over to the old style fuel filter with the thermoplastic Tee and hose fittings or maybe a CAT filter housing with water seperator? While there has not been a lot of members with rusted fuel canisters,there have been a few here. I'd like to keep my fuel system as clean as possible. Thoughts?

Dweisel

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
While this an aftermarket system/modification maybe superior to the stock, the problem with changing out prior to the end of the warranty period is that this modification will likely void the warranty. Given recent posts about problems & potential problems in the system, I would be reluctant to give them such an easy method to void warranty coverage.

abarns

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1
I agree... unless you're prepared to pay to legally prove that your setup is superior to the stock ones and battle VW's legal department, you can kiss the fuel system warranty goodbye, plus they could probably extend the "caused" by your modification to a lot of other things, i.e. DPF.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Massracin said:
Come on Dwesiel, now you are going to re-engineer a brand new car :eek:
No, I just don't like the fact that the inside of the fuel filter canister is bare metal and water makes it rust and pit. I'd rather have a filter that isn't subject to rusting and adding crap to the fuel system.

Look at the pics of the rusted fuel filter canister on "Another Bad Fuel Story" thread. Thats ugly.

Dweisel

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Agreed. I also agree with your other post that the water was in that canister for much longer than a single fueling. It will be interesting to read as others change there filters if the canister in that photo is an isolated sample.

I remember back in 06 there were some rumors/allegations that some of the cars coming in from Mexico had fuel removed from their tanks and it was replaced with waste oil. Is it possible that the something similar is happening with these cars, but with water added back in???

Unfortunately, it is much like reprograming or other modifications to a car still under warranty, you are giving them (VW) an out. A proven fuel system such as on an ALH, it is an no brainer, maybe even a PD. But on one that is just over a year in service with the "issues" VW warranty attitude, dealer service issues contained in posts herein, just understand the pitfalls down that path.

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
in the mean time, when you do change your fuel filter. (I change my dad's 09 every 10k not 20)

Take the time to remove the canister from the car, and dump it out entirely. Then if you feel the need spray with brake cleaner and let dry.

Even though the older cars have a drain for the water, I have never used it. I just replace the filter. I would use it if I got bad fuel and had no new filter to put in though. . . .

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
With the current setup I would consider checking and cleaning out the fuel canister every 5,000 to 10,000 miles. As a rule I think the quality of fuel is very good and the 20,000 mile change interval is adequate and not stretching it. I think its good to keep an eye on whats going on though.

Dweisel

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Fuel quality should be a high priority for your vehicle, i have 100000 on mine and no rust..

All diesel has water in it.

I dont remove mine, I dont drain it, I inspect it every change. It still has the bare metal W/O rust..

I buy my fuel from 1-2 places its whole life..

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Mach1
You can't compare fuel in TX and up north.Over here in TX fuel is much better then up North. I lived in Chicago and had lot of friends that drive 18 wheelers and they loved when they go to south just because fuel is so good and has much lower water in fuel then up north.
I don't know why is this like that but it s true.

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
dweisel said:
No, I just don't like the fact that the inside of the fuel filter canister is bare metal and water makes it rust and pit. I'd rather have a filter that isn't subject to rusting and adding crap to the fuel system.

Look at the pics of the rusted fuel filter canister on "Another Bad Fuel Story" thread. Thats ugly.

Dweisel
The inside of every spin on filter is plain old cold rolled steel, and they rust like crazy.

Adding a water separation system to the existing filter would be a better idea and it won't void anything.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Rod Bearing said:
The inside of every spin on filter is plain old cold rolled steel, and they rust like crazy.

Adding a water separation system to the existing filter would be a better idea and it won't void anything.
Yes, that was my original thought. Modify the existing fuel filter mount to allow room for a CAT water seperator in addition to the stock filter. The CAT water seperator would then be mounted in the supply fuel line before the stock VW fuel filter. Yes, I agree the spin on's may get rusted a little,but it gets changed out for a new one. The permenant canister on the other hand either has to be changed for a new one or cleaned extensively.

Dweisel

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was poking around the engine compartment on the 09 JSW seeing what I might do in the future to maybe improve the stock fuel filtering system setup. You would have to remove the current duel filter canister to give you enough room to add a CAT water seperator. Fabricate a new mounting system to hold the CAT water seperator and the old style thermoplastic Tee style fuel filter. But you would end up with a nice almost fail safe fuel filter system. It would take some work,but it could be done. I guess at 36,001 miles, I might do some custom fabrication work.

On a side note: I finally located that 3rd electric fuel pump.

Dweisel

HEV

TDI
2010 JSW, Candy White, DSG
Have you given consideration to using a fuel additive that makes the water miscible so that it doesn't accumulate? We've had good luck with this technique in our fleet. Unless your fuel has a lot of water in it, this might be a good solution.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
HEV said:
Have you given consideration to using a fuel additive that makes the water miscible so that it doesn't accumulate? We've had good luck with this technique in our fleet. Unless your fuel has a lot of water in it, this might be a good solution.
Yes, I use an additive made by FPPF called Lubricity Plus which contains a water dispersant.

Dweisel

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
It will be interesting, down the road, to compare the different wear patterns created using FPPF, PS, Stanadyne, Opti-Lube. Regardless of the "lab" results, a real-world comparison would be very helpful.

Is the HPFP reasonably accessible? Is it possible to see the internals w/o totally destroying the pump?

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tdiatlast said:
It will be interesting, down the road, to compare the different wear patterns created using FPPF, PS, Stanadyne, Opti-Lube. Regardless of the "lab" results, a real-world comparison would be very helpful.

Is the HPFP reasonably accessible? Is it possible to see the internals w/o totally destroying the pump?
If the CBEA engine will run 250 to 300k+ miles...................who cares!

Dweisel

HEV

TDI
2010 JSW, Candy White, DSG
It looks like most of us are trying to cover our basis here. I'm using Schaeffer's Diesel Treat 2000 based on our fleet experience and it's affordable availability to me.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Rod Bearing said:
http://equipment.forconstructionpros.com/product/28365/Donaldson_Company_Fuel_Filter_Water_Separators

I can't even begin to count the number of these I've either sold as kits or installed, on all sorts of different applications.

Their kit with a 3/8" port size has a spin on with a drain valve on the bottom that is about 5" long and 3" in diameter. Comes with base and a bracket.
I wonder if one of those could be added in the trunk just after the lift pump and before the OEM filter.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Fuel lines to canister?

Question: What exactly are these lines? Supply, return, etc.
I labeled them A, B, C, D. Please reply with the correct answer. This isn't true or false and not multiple choice. If you answer correctly you get an "atta boy" and the rest of us get a free service tip.:D

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
On the conman rail engines, I think the best place for an additional FF would be on the return from the engine. If a HPFP failed, the contamination would be limited to the HPFP, injectors and the lines between the HPFP and the added filter.

I think that for the most part, the stock filter does an adequate job.

PaulGiz

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more. My heart couldn't take it.
I'm with Dweisel here--36,001 miles and I'll probably do something. I love the car, but don't want to stress everytime I have to fuel up.

Just one question--Why is the return line from the motor going into the clean side of the filter? If the HPFP were to fail, wouldn't it be advantageous to have the bits dumped into the dirty side where the filter could stop further damage?

P.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PaulGiz said:
I'm with Dweisel here--36,001 miles and I'll probably do something. I love the car, but don't want to stress everytime I have to fuel up.

Just one question--Why is the return line from the motor going into the clean side of the filter? If the HPFP were to fail, wouldn't it be advantageous to have the bits dumped into the dirty side where the filter could stop further damage?

P.
Because its already been filtered for the engine. Its not designed to filter out something failing in the fuel system.Its designed to filter fuel for the fuel system. The only thing you would be protecting from contamination is the fuel tank,fuel sending unit and fuel lines to the filter.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
The return line from the engine goes into the dirty side of the filter, not the clean side.

The line going back to the tank is also on the dirty side.

The effective flow paths are the same as the old thermo tee filters, like is on my 2005. Even though it looks so different on top.

I cut one apart to determine all of this, by the way.