Mercedes E250 Bluetec

What interests you about this thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

*zepman

TDI
Former 2012 Passat TDI SEL Current: 2014 e250 Bluetec
thank you for your experiences with the car, about to get rid of my Passat TDI and i'm on the fence about an A6TDI vs e250

I've driven my mom's e250 from NY to Boston and back and really like it.
Living in LA, it seems practical, although the A6 seems nice too.

ugh, test driving an A6 TDI soon.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
E250BT is a great LA car. I'd dump the stock run-flats though for Primacy MOs. And for strictly LA weather, the RWD is nimble. You'll see 32 mpg with reliable clean diesel. If you shop for one, please let us know what kind of deals are out there.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 220d

http://www.wheels24.co.za/NewModels/5-reasons-to-love-the-mercedes-benz-e-class-220d-20161215
http://www.wheels24.co.za/NewModels...-about-the-new-mercedes-benz-e-class-20160617
http://www.wheels24.co.za/NewModels/headed-for-sa-we-drive-the-new-mercedes-benz-e-class-20160310

http://newscdn.newsrep.net/h5/nrsha...234&declared_lan=&pubaccount=ocms_0&showall=1

"The E220d is powered by a 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbodiesel engine that makes 194 horsepower at 3,800 rpm and 295 pound-feet of torque from 1,600 to 2,800 rpm. The oil-burner sends the E220d from zero to 62 mph in 7.4 seconds."

I think will be here as a 2018 e220d. Test drove a 2017 E300 with that 9 speed. Very smooth Mr. Bond.

Last edited:

bird67

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI*
Wasn't clear if you're talking the Diesel engine or the specific e250 model. If the former, we bought a CPO 2015 250 GLK last spring. Like it very much. Only problem is it took a months-long nationwide search to find one with xenon headlights. That configuration is a unicorn.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Wasn't clear if you're talking the Diesel engine or the specific e250 model. If the former, we bought a CPO 2015 250 GLK last spring. Like it very much. Only problem is it took a months-long nationwide search to find one with xenon headlights. That configuration is a unicorn.
I test drove a glk 250 BT. I own an E250 BT. The glk is a great small SUV. Not sure what you were confused about. There was a bargain glk for sale with base options I test drove. Not sure what headlamps it had. They are out there if you're flexible. And you can offer them less if it's less loaded.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
The GLK I test drove is sold. I called the dealer to see if he'd come down. He was already at a good price on a 14 with about 30k miles, for $28k. It had no options at all. The lack of satellite radio is major for me now. I was going to see if he'd take 25k which would have been pretty tempting. These are on car gurus in So. Cal. for 30k. They are out there.

*zepman

TDI
just picked up the e250 BT for under $38K CPO'ed 2014 with 17K miles
so far so good, turn in date on Passat TDI 10 days away

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
It's a magic carpet in LA traffic. That's 4 e250 BT owners here, bobdfsh, drive by wire, you and I. Please let us know how it goes. There's a few Glk 250 BT owners too (same engine). RWD or AWD?

Last edited:

*zepman

TDI
RWD, thanks - hello everyone. what's the latest on the trailer hitch as i'd like to attach a bike at some point, my existing rack (over the trunk rack) probably won't do the trick and may scratch the paint

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm taking the harness to a shop in a few weeks. Are you on run flats?

*zepman

TDI
yeah, still on the run flats, i've seen your suggestion about changing them out... and i think i'm leaning towards that.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
If so have to buy the jack from a dealer. I sold my tires and bought the Michelin MOs. There is a dough nut from the dealer, but I bought a full size wheel and tire from tire rack which hogs my trunk. I can PM you details from the dealers and shops.

*zepman

TDI
what does your trunk look like with a full size spare and a jack, i gather the jack you can store next to the add blu tank

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I keep my jack next to the tire in the trunk for now. If I need to, I put my large luggage in the front passenger area. There's room in the trunk for the carry on in back of the tire. I have the push down box "Comfort Box" option which takes up inches above the tire so I can't slide a suitcase on top of it. The box snaps out easily and then leaves room to slide a large suitcase over the tire if it's not too full. The tire stays put well, and I like having the weight on the rear. It sits below the trunk roof snug to the seat backs half visible. If I needed more trunk space I'd try to put the tire on a hitch of some kind or get the doughnut. Luckily for now I don't, my grocery bags are handy in the comfort box or in the space that's left and I'm good.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
1.5 YR and 18k Recap

I am nearly two years and 20k on my E250 BT. A+ in everything that matters to me about a car. To start with my impressions, what I felt as I grew into the car was confidence in driving, I know the car will carry out my moves flawlessly, whether I'm flying around a stalled car that popped out on the freeway or slamming on the brakes when I can't. Mpg is 32 combined with 80% city. I drive in D mostly with the auto trans quick and smooth, running through the gears at lower rpm than I could by hand without me wanting more acceleration. If I did I could use S mode to rev higher between gear changes. Also there's M mode, the paddles. I regularly use those to engine break when I exit the freeway in good weather only. I rarely paddle to drop my gear before merging because the car is fast and I don't feel the need to. To brake I hit the paddles twice and tap the break when I exit and again when I come to the bottom of the ramp, two sets of two taps and braking. I have yet to experience any feeling of engine or trans limp, misfire, or chop. I move about the crowded streets with confidence in my handling and performance, that has solidified over the last 18 months. I rely on the car's response. I had times when I swerved at high speeds to avoid another car. That's when I appreciated the car's handling, it's lack of understeer or torque steer that I would have had in a front wheel drive car or a six with it's engine nose heavy. Electronic steering works precisely and drama free, say what you will about road feel or numb, two subjective intangibles I don't miss if I ever knew I had. Other times I slammed on the brakes even in the rain, no skidding or hydroplaning. The car's weight distribution is even enough that my rear stays put when I brake, step on it or swerve. My visibility has been an issue. I keep my passenger seat back because the passenger head rest blocks my view out the rear passenger window. I had to use added mirrors on my side views for the blind spot and need to keep the side views adjusted well. Backing up has proven difficult. Just today I narrowly missed a pole in my rear view during which the rear camera didn't beep. The navigation is not usable in my book. I shout my radio channel changes and feel for the steering wheel buttons and don't look at the screen ever. I don't like my seat and have filled it in with a Back Joy seat and careful lumbar adjustment of the seat back using the rocker switch. I drive with both feet and that is faster breaking by a fraction of a second which counts in city streets. These cars are coming off lease now. *zepman just got a 14 CPO with low miles for under 38k. That is approaching earthbound prices and I highly recommend this car at that price. In warm weather above 50 degrees it is 100% CARB clean. In the cold it is less so, but MB didn't cheat and still it is fully approved by EPA and legally sold. I ditched my run flats for Michelin's day one and have RWD. RWD steers a tad better than AWD which has some of the drawbacks of FWD. Certainly in cold or on ice or snow or rain that's less important than AWD traction. I have yet to take a road trip, but the car can do a thousand miles on a tank so I know that's going to be some of the fun. If you are getting your buy back (and can spend more) I don't see any other diesel option out there that handles well and stands a chance of being maintainable, clean, and reliable. A lot of talk from the usual wanna be, but MB alone succeeded in bringing a large car with a 4 cyl clean diesel and is strongly readying the next gen for here in 2018. If I am spendthrift enough I will be trading in a car that is a crowning achievement of diesel engineering and only to get rid of the few flaws I mentioned here. My trade-in will be quite the steal.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Please tell us about yourself

This discussion was viewed by likely thousands in the last 18 months. Please tell us something about yourself, your car situation and what interests you in the MB E250BT.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Owners how is it?

bobdfsh, drivebywire, *zepman, camarones: how are your cars?

Last edited:

*zepman

TDI
just got mine, ssamalin - and the longest i've driven it was from Newport Beach to the SFV, about 50 miles - in the rain, and heck, it might have not been raining the way the car handled. Quite amazing. Having a hard time adjusting the seat to get it where i need it to be, and the back seat leg room is nothing like the Passat, (heck, that would make a great livery car). it will be better once the kids are out of their booster seats. I should have a more in-depth review, after a few more tanks (still on my first tank from 18 days ago), not quite 400 miles of city driving primarily.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
The run flats aren't good rain tires. Have to slow it. My seat back is up. What is your seat issue? City tanks are good for 600 miles, highway 1000 mi

Last edited:

*zepman

TDI
maybe i'm not quite used to it, but after 30+min in the car i get fatigue of how maybe it has to do with how i'm sitting, maybe the bottom cushion is too long ... i'll have to experiment with the positions, what was your issue.

btw i'm 6' 2"

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I find it somewhat amusing that a $50K+ car needs a dish drain tray on the driver's seat to make it comfortable.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
The important part of a good seat is resting on the bottom of your pelvis, or ischium, when you sit, by getting lumbar support so your weight is on bone, not soft tissue. The Back Joy is rounded so it allows my back to work as I support myself. It also is a firm platform. I also needed to adjust the lumbar support in the seat back using the rocker switch. The seat is fixed. I simply get in and out and sit on it. It feels excellent. Next time I take a road trip will be the real test.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I guess there is a whole thread about seat comfort over on another forum
http://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/512345-anyone-else-find-2014-seat-uncomfortable.html
*zepman: have you worked on your seat problem? I briefly looked at the cushions on this mbworld thread. Not interested in them myself. For now my fix is good, I am sitting high and straight up.
BackJoy claims that it aligns your spine and pelvis like an orthotic. Probably good lumbar support does too so I used the seat lumbar adjustment Let's see what happens after 500 miles a day.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Trick is to get pelvis extended when you sit so you feel the lumbar support against your lower back. It's what a bucket seat should do?

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
never mind

I dumped the dish liner and towels. Just the Back Joy and seat lumbar adjustment does the job. Who wants to do the dishes? I've got the towels. I think the lumbar support is what was lacking.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Last edited:

*zepman

TDI
well, i picked up the CONFORMAX Anywhere, Anytime Gel Car/Truck Seat Cushion (L20SAU) it fits the seat perfectly and no more pain - just riding a little higher.

Amazon shipped it from Gardina so to Socal, it came one day priority mail to me (free amazon shipping option) FYI