Chevy 50 MPG Diesel coming in 2013

lddrew

TDI
none yet :(
I asked you if your truck had the fuel related issues. I SAID in that same post I hoped you didn't.

I also said in that post I worked for GM as a Customer Relation Manager, but what do I know, right?

Don't go out of your way to talk ****, you'll lose.
you said i hope i didn't exactly where??

"Welcome!

Has your Duramax flooded it's crankcase yet or are you one of the lucky ones?"

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
I think he must have.

When I hear 'new GM Diesel coming 2013', the first thing I think is 'coming to dealer service departments everywhere late 2013'.
here comes MR +VE....Why not give GM a chance to release the new product before jumping all over them.....Plenty of cars of every make in service departments. Funny my over 15 GM's in my life have required regular service. Never a major challenge (trans, engine, electronics)....so take your GM hate elsewhere bud. The Cruze diesel is gonna put a bit of a fire under VWs butt and force other manufacturers to rethink their Diesel strategy. Why should VW own this market? Every comment of yours is negative....so why dont you go away?

KryPTiC

TDI
2001 Jetta
here comes MR +VE....Why not give GM a chance to release the new product before jumping all over them.....Plenty of cars of every make in service departments. Funny my over 15 GM's in my life have required regular service. Never a major challenge (trans, engine, electronics)....so take your GM hate elsewhere bud. The Cruze diesel is gonna put a bit of a fire under VWs butt and force other manufacturers to rethink their Diesel strategy. Why should VW own this market? Every comment of yours is negative....so why dont you go away?
If GM makes another diesel as good as the Duramax, then VW is going to have a run for their money.

Robo48

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta 5 speed
My thoughts are this: The EPA needs to loosen up regulations on diesels in the US. At some point when you hinder HP and mileage are we really improving emissions? I will be watching the "diesel cruze" situation from a distance to see what happens with it and after some real world R&D testing if it all works out might buy one. Really wish GM wouldn't have scrapped the "small duramax" they had nearly done for the 1/2 ton truck line. I understand they were in the final testing of the engine and had it doing laps between here and Colorado towing 10,000lbs and the numbers on it were great...mileage...HP...etc!! It would be very interesting to see a small diesel in a 1/2 ton silverado....I would most likely own one if the mileage and durability were up to spec....:)

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
My thoughts are this: The EPA needs to loosen up regulations on diesels in the US. At some point when you hinder HP and mileage are we really improving emissions? I will be watching the "diesel cruze" situation from a distance to see what happens with it and after some real world R&D testing if it all works out might buy one. Really wish GM wouldn't have scrapped the "small duramax" they had nearly done for the 1/2 ton truck line. I understand they were in the final testing of the engine and had it doing laps between here and Colorado towing 10,000lbs and the numbers on it were great...mileage...HP...etc!! It would be very interesting to see a small diesel in a 1/2 ton silverado....I would most likely own one if the mileage and durability were up to spec....:)
ditto....I do NOT understand the big 3s lack of push in this direction. a nice V6 diesel in a 1/2 tonne just makes sooooo much sense.....why are they waiting? the Ecoboost is a colossal waste of money in my opinion as the mileage is a BIT better than an 8 cylinder and the premium to buy the motor is 2K...where is the win? need a Diesel V6 Full size desperately.

lddrew

TDI
the reason the 4.5l dmax and 4.4l PSD got put on the shelf is because the economy went in the trash and EPA laws are getting more and more strict. I would drive the hell out of a 4.5l max. The thing people don't realize is that it would be a 5000 dollar option. ford ecoboost option is 800 bucks. also it would take away from 3/4 and 1 ton sales

lddrew

TDI
Ford and dodge didn't make theirs either. Detroit wasn't working out. Isuzu was the best option to partner with. Sales prove it to be a very effective and reliablee platform. Dmax is made in Ohio. 6.7 ford in mexico

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
the reason the 4.5l dmax and 4.4l PSD got put on the shelf is because the economy went in the trash and EPA laws are getting more and more strict. I would drive the hell out of a 4.5l max. The thing people don't realize is that it would be a 5000 dollar option. ford ecoboost option is 800 bucks. also it would take away from 3/4 and 1 ton sales
The 4.5L Dmax would make similar power and torque to the LB7 Duramax in its stock form so GM could actually offer TWO Duramax engines in the 3/4- and 1-ton trucks. The 4.5L would be the entry level engine while the 6.6 would be the HP option. And if they put the 4.5L into production in the 1500 it would immediately shoot to the top of all the performance categories!!! Fuel mileage, horsepower, torque, towing capacity and so on all would be best in class! It would also be great in the Suburban, Avalanche and Tahoe and maybe even the Trailblazer or other midsize SUVs...

I made these arguments to a GM exec at the 2011 GM HD launch and he listened and even called his secretary to look up some Suburban 2500 sales stats, but they still haven't pulled the trigger so I am guessing that it still isn't financially feasible. But the 4.5L Dmax is production ready, they just need to pull the trigger and do it!:D

lddrew

TDI
Oh yeah it is absolutely ready. And it would be amazing. back when it was developed none of the emissions bull**** had dropped yet. so now it would be fitted with dpf/urea systems that add cost.

The new dmax 2011+ LML has an ECM that cannot be legally cracked to run performance tunes. One of the few company's that can delete the def/dpf has to leave the country. I am afraid the era of simple diesel performance is going to the wayside with all the new emissions/government mandates.

that same emissions and ECM configuration would have to be put on the 4.5l in order to mass produce it. This would hinder the fantastic fuel mileage that could be achieved by some points, and people don't like having to buy DEF on top of expensive diesel maintenance. This and a limited performance market make it seem very difficult to pony up for a 5000 dollar option.

I would agree with you 1000% if all of the emissions/EPA stuff hadn't hit the fan in 2007.
I drive the last truck before DPF's became mandated.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
My Duramax is an '01 LB7 in a rusty old 4x4 ECLB Chevy chassis with long travel suspension and 37-inch tires! I love the beast even though it has around 360,000 miles on it! Right now we are probably around 450 hp and 900 lbs/ft of torque but by this time next week we should be at 600-650 hp with 1100-1200 lbs/ft of torque!!! It is a fun truck to drive!

Having the TDI for the daily driver and road trips with the Dmax to play and haul stuff is a great combination!!! You'll be real happy when you get yours but you better do it soon, prices keep climbing with the price of fuel!!!

Even with the DPF/Urea system the 4.5L Dmax would still outperform the gas V8s in horsepower and torque and would give the 1500 much better MPGs. It would also be a good candidate in the 2500 at least as an entry level alternative to the gasser. Through economy of scale the DPF/Urea system would also become more affordable for GM for both the 6.6L and 4.5L Duramax engines. I would think that the tank size would be the only difference. The DPFs were definately considered when the 4.5L was developed and the way the GM engineers use the Urea it shouldn't hurt performance. They use it to clean the emissions and tune the engine for power and effeciency, instead of crippling the engine with emmissions tuning.

The way GM handles the DPF regen is way better than Ford or Dodge. GM uses a dedicated injector to fuel and regen the DPF while the others overfuel the engine and will end up with more fuel dilution. I think the LMLs will outlast the 6.7L Ford and Cummins engines for this reason...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I asked about the diesel engine in chevys a few years back and was told that the developement was stopped to concentrate on hybrids. Talk about wasted effort.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Yup! Hybrids are a waste of resources but they are the hip thing and sheeple like to buy and drive them!!!

lddrew

TDI
My Duramax is an '01 LB7 in a rusty old 4x4 ECLB Chevy chassis with long travel suspension and 37-inch tires! I love the beast even though it has around 360,000 miles on it! Right now we are probably around 450 hp and 900 lbs/ft of torque but by this time next week we should be at 600-650 hp with 1100-1200 lbs/ft of torque!!! It is a fun truck to drive!

Having the TDI for the daily driver and road trips with the Dmax to play and haul stuff is a great combination!!! You'll be real happy when you get yours but you better do it soon, prices keep climbing with the price of fuel!!!

Even with the DPF/Urea system the 4.5L Dmax would still outperform the gas V8s in horsepower and torque and would give the 1500 much better MPGs. It would also be a good candidate in the 2500 at least as an entry level alternative to the gasser. Through economy of scale the DPF/Urea system would also become more affordable for GM for both the 6.6L and 4.5L Duramax engines. I would think that the tank size would be the only difference. The DPFs were definately considered when the 4.5L was developed and the way the GM engineers use the Urea it shouldn't hurt performance. They use it to clean the emissions and tune the engine for power and effeciency, instead of crippling the engine with emmissions tuning.

The way GM handles the DPF regen is way better than Ford or Dodge. GM uses a dedicated injector to fuel and regen the DPF while the others overfuel the engine and will end up with more fuel dilution. I think the LMLs will outlast the 6.7L Ford and Cummins engines for this reason...
what turbo, trans, % injectors, Cp3 are you running to put 650????

I asked about the diesel engine in chevys a few years back and was told that the developement was stopped to concentrate on hybrids. Talk about wasted effort.
x2...... :confused:

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
what turbo, trans, % injectors, Cp3 are you running to put 650????
600-650 was the goal, but we missed it... We planned to install a new modded single CP3 along with new injector nozzles as well as fine tuning on top of the existing mods we have on the truck. But, the parts for the CP3 mods were not available yet and the nozzles were not going to be available in time for our deadline.

We put down 543 horsepower and 1006 lbs/ft of torque on a Dyno Jet single eddy load cell chassis dyno through the 37-inch Goodyear MTRs mounted on true beadlock KMC Enduro wheels. The wheel and tire weight is almost 120-pounds each!!!:eek:

We did this on a stock '01 Duramax longblock with over 360,000 miles on it using stock heads (that were resurfaced) bolted down with ARP 625 head studs and GM gaskets. The injectors are stock LB7 injectors that were in the truck when I bought it, I would assume that they have been replaced but I don not have confirmation on that... Exhaust flows through ProFab Performance cast manifolds and ProFab uppipes to a Fleece Performance Engineering LB7 replacement 63mm turbo then out through a ProFab downpipe and out through a 4-inch Banks Power exhaust system with single side exit. We are also running a Banks Power air filter/intake that channels air to a machined Fleece LB7 turbo intake elbow. Banks Power intercooler and boost tubes are also used to cool the intake charge while a Banks BigHead wastegate actuator controls the wastegate on the Fleece turbo. For fuel we are using an AirDog II and just installed a LBZ CP3. Fleece Performance Engineering handled the EFI Live tuning and we also have the Banks iQ and Six-Gun tuner installed. Using the Six-Gun max power was 493 with 961 lbs/ft of torque with less black smoke and cooler egts.

Remember all of this is on a 360,000 mile engine!!! I think 550 is pretty darn good, and if we had the higher flow CP3 and nozzles, I am confident we would have broke the 600 hp barrier!!!:D

We are not done yet though... We will probably install new rods and pistons then high flow injectors and a second CP3 and we will be well over 600 hp at that point!!!

Look for more coverage of the truck in Diesel World magazine...

WindsorFox

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Yup! Hybrids are a waste of resources but they are the hip thing and sheeple like to buy and drive them!!!
LOL I was leaving my bank and when I backed out of the parking space there was a girl just coming out in a Honda CRZ. I drove one of those, yeeesh. So I guess she was miffed because I backed out instead of going back in and waiting for her to pass. :p We had to cross a 4 lane with a median, and when pulling out she decided she was going in the outside lane and blow past me. She thought. Of course the 2.0 TDI dusted the battery powered Honda and when at the light I asked "So what kind of mileage you get?" She replies "Well it's a hybrid so it may be a little slower, but **I** get 35MPG all over town!" "Oh, that's pretty good..." I lean up and squint to look at my BullyDog monitor.. "Hmm, this OBD2 monitor says I'm running at 50MPG." "All over town." "Even after 'drag racing' a Honda and winning...." w0w I'm sure glad she didn't have anything to throw at me LOL

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Huh??? Are you referring to not believing my results on my Chevy Duramax truck or some other Chevy???

WindsorFox

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
I think it's disbelief at Chevy producing a small, efficient Diesel for NA in the Cruz. But the rumors I'm reading is pointing to a lot of small Diesels becoming available soon. I'd be all over the Titan with a 2.8 Cummins.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
I'd love to see ANY 1/2-ton diesel truck! It would force the other manufacturers to respond with their own diesel 1/2-ton trucks too!!! Good for all of us!!!

TDI
"knock out punch" as it calls it, is just stupid. Pretend for a moment that sales of VWs do go down with the addition of the Eco-D to the market. In that case, all VW does it bring over the Polo Blue motion...problem solved.

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in