auto vs manual MPG differences with same options

steffen707

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS TDI
I tried finding out if anybody had the same style mk4 with auto and with manual with same driver same driving conditions, and what kind of hit they would take going to an automatic?

I have an 01 jetta tdi manual now. My wife wants an auto. She's starting a business that needs a wagon. So i'm looking to sell my car, and get an auto wagon jetta TDI, but want to know what kind of MPG drop to expect from real world people.

Thanks guys.

steffen707

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS TDI
EEEEK, I didn't know about the transmission problem. I thought the 99.5-02 got better gas mileage because there was an engine change in 03 to the PD type?

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
EEEEK, I didn't know about the transmission problem. I thought the 99.5-02 got better gas mileage because there was an engine change in 03 to the PD type?
Search 01M and you will have days of reading.

In 04 they switched to PD and also a 09A Jatco trans which is a much better unit.

I would not recommend a 01M car unless you are ready to replace the transmission( Around $4500 IIRC) or swap in a manual.

steffen707

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS TDI
Search 01M and you will have days of reading.

In 04 they switched to PD and also a 09A Jatco trans which is a much better unit.

I would not recommend a 01M car unless you are ready to replace the transmission( Around $4500 IIRC) or swap in a manual.
Well thank you very much for the info.

I'll try to find a wagon manual pre 04, or possibly an auto after 04. They're so rare, and damned expensive.

Strykeviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed swap, 2002 Jetta Wagon, 2015 Passat SEL, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
I have a 2001 with an auto and a 2000 that is a 5 speed swap. They both got around 35 consistently in town with the a/c on. Since the 5 speed swap I rarely get below 40 in town with the a/c on. I have had a few tanks below 40 but none below 38. I have had a few tanks over 50 with a lot of highway driving as a 5 speed.

My 2001 has one tank since I've owned it where it got more than 40 but it doesn't get alot of highway time since I have the other one.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
My 02 Jetta wagon that was born an automatic averaged about 40 mpg in all conditions. 18 months ago I dumped the auto and installed a 6 speed manual transmission. We now have been averaging about 48. We figure an 8 mpg penalty with the automatic. Did the same thing on my '00 golf with similar results.