Difference between auto and manual in MPG for Jetta tdi

perrygreene

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI - on order
I am changing our company vehicles to the 2009 Jetta tdi. We normally get automatic transmissions. What is the mpg difference between the auto and manual transmissions?

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
You wont have much of a choice - most will be automated manual 6 speeds.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
perrygreene said:
I am changing our company vehicles to the 2009 Jetta tdi. We normally get automatic transmissions. What is the mpg difference between the auto and manual transmissions?
WJ Dell is right that most 2009s will probably come with the 6-speed DSG transmission. Or you can try to get some with the 6-speed manual. Fuel mileage should be about the same with both, but the DSG will have higher maintenance costs because it requires a fluid change every 40k miles.

perrygreene

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI - on order
How is the reliability of the DSG?

I have heard that the previous auto trans were very unreliable.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
perrygreene said:
I have heard that the previous auto trans were very unreliable.
That was a Slushbox auto, totaly different.
I have heard there was a issue with some of the DSG (early build date)
But that was corrected, I'm sure that with the more powerful engine, there maybe another change in the tranny.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
TR rumor is that they will drop the 40k OCI as it is not competitive with the other auto makers auto transmissions. OCI's are decided by engineers but not without marketing having the last word.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Whatever the fluid change interval, the initial cost and the maintenance costs will still be higher for the DSG.