TDI into a Toyota Tacoma

candela

TDI
'04 tacoma doublecab TRD // '76 porsche 912E
Hey there ladies & gents -

Thanks for tuning in.... I've been a VW/TDI guy for many years, recently sold my mk3 TDI AHU that I drove for the last 7 years and absolutely loved it. As life goes, I got this burning desire for a truck, locked eyes on the 1st gen tacoma, and there was no turning back.

Like many of you, I love efficiency, and chose this last generation of the Toyota small truck platform for it's size, durability, and looks. I also went as far as to get it with the 3RZ 2.7L 4 cyl in RWD thinking it would be the most efficient combination of options. The best I have been able to achieve is 23mpg, which I suppose is ok for a truck, but I really miss that diesel sound, torque, and efficiency.

So onto the plan:

I'm planning to convert this Automatic GAS RWD truck into a Manual Diesel 4WD. Lots of fun ahead? You bet. Time consuming? Looks like it. Doing it all myself? I doubt it. I will do all that I can because I enjoy it, but I want to invite some cool people to the party because it's more fun that way.

I'm going to do some aesthetics before moving on to the drivetrain, namely a suspension lift, wheels, 33's, bumpers and rock sliders. I know these will not contribute to efficiency, but the goal is to have nice combination of mild off-road capability with good road manners.

and onto the pics....

first time out -

here was a recent haul -

new wheels courtesy of Vin @ SCS (19lbs)

some toys I'll be throwin' on soon....

Thanks for watching....