Here is a LIST of Available chips/boxes for 2.0 CR TDI – comments/experiences?

Charrigan

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Post the corrected numbers and dyno sheet!

Weather he posts corrected or not it still will not solve the fact that the dyno is more than likely mis-calibrated to boost dyno numbers. He never did a baseline dyno so asking for proof is pointless. I have seen 100whp differences between 2 local dynos done on the same car and day.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
A dyno shop wouldn't stay in business very long with a poorly calibrated machine. Before & after dyno reports would be helpful.

rdr58

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
My 2012 Golf TDI - 4 door

I just joined the site to say this little car is simply fantastic!...that is of course after yesterday getting it back from its REVO stage 1 flash. Once in third gear I just started to laugh! It feels like having a big dog on a leash pulling to get away from you. Most noticeably at 2500 RPM on up and in 3rd and 4th gear. This upgrade along with the 22mm H&R rear sway "woke her up". For under $1000 both those adjustments took the ride from pedestrian to vundabar!

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Any comments? seems the Unitronic and Upsolute give the highest increases, but for track use I would prefer "smooth", not just on/off power.
There are many chips out there, it appears most favor Malone, Upsolute chips, Unitronic.
People say Malone is a nice "smooth" tune; but it does not seem the most aggressive HP-wise.
It appears these numbers are software upgrades only, no hardware ie. Turbo
I apologize in advance for any errors. Some may not be available in the us.
If only one tune was listed, I linked it with "Stage 1"
From looking below, although a “box” is easier, a chip is probably better, especially if you want to upgrade components in future (turbo, injectors, exhaust). Some thread mentioned in Europe these engines minus the DPF were pushing 200+HP, but someone else thought the engine internals were different.
Stock numbers are for the 2.0 CR TDI engine: HP/Torque 140/236
Unitronic
Stage 1 175/295
Upsolute
Stage 1 177/291
Malone
Stage 1 153/287 Stage 2 163/295
Rocketchip
Stage 1 170/273 24 PSI
Wetterauer
Stage 1 170/295
Revotechnik
Stage 1 170/277
Neuspeed
Stage 1 170/275
optima-chiptunning
Stage 1 168/277

Superchips
Stage 1 168/269

V=tech power experts
Stage 1 "chip" 165 HP, "box" 170 HP
Diesel-tuning.com or parleysdieselperformance.com/
Stage1 “box” 168/205 – they list stock torque at 174, strange; their increase of 31 added to stock 236 would be 267

Chiptuning.eu
Stage 1 "box" plugs into common rail connector 190 HP
Tuningbox.com "box"
Stage 1 170/277
Mikrotuning
n/a no CR chip

APR
n/a diesel chip, but I found a thread from 2009, someone stated they were in contact with APR and that they would have a diesel chip in the near future.
You Forgot TS PERFORMANCE

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I just joined the site to say this little car is simply fantastic!...that is of course after yesterday getting it back from its REVO stage 1 flash. Once in third gear I just started to laugh! It feels like having a big dog on a leash pulling to get away from you. Most noticeably at 2500 RPM on up and in 3rd and 4th gear. This upgrade along with the 22mm H&R rear sway "woke her up". For under $1000 both those adjustments took the ride from pedestrian to vundabar!
Unless they made a change between 2010 and 2012 to the Golf suspension, I think my '10 already rides pretty well. I have a pretty tight onramp near me and I can scoot around it pretty fast without worry.

Most of the CR tunes take a little time to really dial in as the ECU adapts to the new maps. You should notice it will get better over the next 500-1,000 miles.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Most of the CR tunes take a little time to really dial in as the ECU adapts to the new maps. You should notice it will get better over the next 500-1,000 miles.
This is definitely true with a Revo tune (it's the only one I have experience with) and probably other tunes as well. I was somewhat disappointed when I first left the dealer. It was stronger, but not what I expected. After a while, it learns about all the sensors in your car and it "improves with age". Now my only "problem" is keeping the ESP light from flashing when I floor it in second gear. It has more torque than my tires can handle. A Mustang dyno measured it at 302.9 ft-lbs at the wheel (corrected). I love it.

Have Fun!

Don

Sauron@Mordor

TDI
shopping for Passat TDI
I'd be curious to hear the experiences from anyone who has tried the Revo tune on the 2012 Passat TDI.

Best,

Blinkinbanana

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Not even at home? At my apartment, I snake a flat extension cord through the side door, plug in a regular extension cord, and keep it on a cord-reel when not in use.

If I couldn't plug in, I'd suffer with my 15 minute drive to work. The electric heater in the HVAC system helps get the cabin warm in a few minutes. Dynamic idle will suck down more fuel, and drop city MPGs even more.
At home, pre 100 mi commute when I'm not worried about getting up to normal operating temperature before shut down, yes I have a place to plug it in. Mid week I do not, and in the winter I find my car just barely warm by the time I get to work. I figured the idle would help the most when I'm waiting at traffic lights. Maybe you are right in that it wouldn't make that much of a difference, but I was also interested in the dynamic egr. What do other tuners do with egr? Complete shut off? Or leave it alone?

EvilEvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4dr W/Tech Package
This is definitely true with a Revo tune (it's the only one I have experience with) and probably other tunes as well. I was somewhat disappointed when I first left the dealer. It was stronger, but not what I expected. After a while, it learns about all the sensors in your car and it "improves with age". Now my only "problem" is keeping the ESP light from flashing when I floor it in second gear. It has more torque than my tires can handle. A Mustang dyno measured it at 302.9 ft-lbs at the wheel (corrected). I love it.

Have Fun!

Don

What mods? I would love to make that much TQ. I'm not looking to make insane numbers, as I have my 600awhp S4 for that, but getting some more pep out of the TDI would be nice.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What mods? I would love to make that much TQ. I'm not looking to make insane numbers, as I have my 600awhp S4 for that, but getting some more pep out of the TDI would be nice.
No mods except for the tune. More info here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=346412

These numbers were the best of three runs. After the second run the numbers went down because I was running into EGT limits. Mustang dynos put a lot of load on the car. Details and reactions from a Revo guy are in the above linked thread.

BTW: If you have a DSG, the DSG controller will limit the engine torque during shifts. Therefore power will cut back when the tranny is ready to shift and then it comes back after it has shifted. This has been discussed at length is a few other threads. The only way to "fix" this issue is a DSG tune. I have a manual transmission, so this is not an issue for me.

Have Fun!

Don

EvilEvo

Veteran Member
TDI
No mods except for the tune. More info here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=346412

These numbers were the best of three runs. After the second run the numbers went down because I was running into EGT limits. Mustang dynos put a lot of load on the car. Details and reactions from a Revo guy are in the above linked thread.

BTW: If you have a DSG, the DSG controller will limit the engine torque during shifts. Therefore power will cut back when the tranny is ready to shift and then it comes back after it has shifted. This has been discussed at length is a few other threads. The only way to "fix" this issue is a DSG tune. I have a manual transmission, so this is not an issue for me.

Have Fun!

Don
Cool! I'm looking at either Revo or Unitronic for software. My car is a manual so I don't need to worry about the DSG software either.

As I said, I'm not looking to make the most HP, just looking to give it a bit more pep. Although I might wait a bit before I tune it, as the car only has ~550 miles on it so far. Just looking for reliability and good MPG. The S4 is a killer on gas and it hasn't been the most reliable thing lately, although I put 40k miles on it in 2 years with out much issue.

zxcv1000

TDI
2012 Golf Wagen
Revo stage 1 last week on my 09 jetta. WOW! I love it. I would suggest a tune to anyone with a TDI that is on the fence. It's worth every penny and then some.

EvilEvo

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think it is really an issue, but I would love to hear about the longevity of the car with just a tune. Have people put 70-80k on the car with a tune without issues?

Charrigan

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
I don't think it is really an issue, but I would love to hear about the longevity of the car with just a tune. Have people put 70-80k on the car with a tune without issues?

contact chris@revo... they offer tdi tunes worldwide and arguably have the highest # of tunes on the road.

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
Cool! I'm looking at either Revo or Unitronic for software. My car is a manual so I don't need to worry about the DSG software either.
As I said, I'm not looking to make the most HP, just looking to give it a bit more pep. Although I might wait a bit before I tune it, as the car only has ~550 miles on it so far. Just looking for reliability and good MPG. The S4 is a killer on gas and it hasn't been the most reliable thing lately, although I put 40k miles on it in 2 years with out much issue.
Congrats on picking up a TDI from a fellow S4 owner as well :D. I am in the situation as you. Want a chip to give it a bit more power. Anxiously awaiting APR's rumored TDI tune specs before I make a decision. My brothers TDI cup is running the Malone stage 2 software with the PDE turbo back exhaust and it make a real nice difference.

country_agent

TDI
Looking for modded TDI
Congrats on picking up a TDI from a fellow S4 owner as well :D. I am in the situation as you. Want a chip to give it a bit more power. Anxiously awaiting APR's rumored TDI tune specs before I make a decision. My brothers TDI cup is running the Malone stage 2 software with the PDE turbo back exhaust and it make a real nice difference.
I thought the exhaust did not matter unless we were going higher hp numbers? Or does stage two require exhaust per Malone? I am getting mine next month DSG and ECU thru Malone!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I thought the exhaust did not matter unless we were going higher hp numbers? Or does stage two require exhaust per Malone? I am getting mine next month DSG and ECU thru Malone!
According to Mark (Malone), the stage 1.5 is as far as he suggests you go without deleting the emissions stuff in the exhaust. There is at least one member here how did go to a stage 2 without exhaust mods, but I do not know what the long term effects were. I personally like the idea of "clean diesel" would not do the exhaust mods. Three hundred ft-lbs (410Nm) is plenty of torque for me.

Have Fun!

Don

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Well this went off track, didn't it? I subscribed to this thread because I was interested in seeing if anyone has data on how their tuned common rail cars perform. So far I see one, and that's with a DPF delete (I think it is, for some reason my account has a problem with viewing pictures that are on the club, but that's another story).

Power claims and people saying their car "woke up" or "pulls harder" isn't really useful, IMHO. I had planned to get my Golf tuned, even ran a baseline dyno. But I'm now hesitating because (a) people who've done mods to ALHs have told me the improvement for common rail cars pales in comparison; and (b) I don't have any data to show how the power or its delivery will change with a tune.

For now the combination of the lighter 2-door Golf platform and the more powerful stock common rail engine is a good combo. I just need a little convincing to go to a tune. If there's data out there that I've missed I'd love to see it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've seen these. The baseline is on a dyno dynamics dyno and the tuned runs are on dyno jets. The dyno dynamics dyno is known to be far more conservative than a dynojet. And the baseline number is 10 HP higher than I got (on the same brand dyno): not sure what to think of that.

I think dynos are only useful as comparisons. Same car, dyno, operator, and settings are important.

p_ferlow

TDI
09' Jetta TDI Revo tune 6spd, 01' F250 7.3L "tuned"
Got the revo technik tune for my 09' yesterday. It's ok, nothing special. Good midrange torque increase. Maybe revs a bit more eager but generally over 4000rpm not much point, might as well shift and use torque in next gear.

Now the 140hp race tune from my DP Tuner on my 2001 F250 7.3L powerstroke was like turning a donkey into a raped ape. It's a 4x4 crewcab lariat too. ie. 7500+lbs. 0-60mph 9.1secs. My 140hp CR managed 9.5secs on Dynolicious. Haven't run it with the revo tune yet.

So ya... it's ok, not sure it's worth $500-600 bucks.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
There's a thread here too.
General consensus: 17hp and 46ft-lbs is nothing to get too excited about.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
According to Mark (Malone), the stage 1.5 is as far as he suggests you go without deleting the emissions stuff in the exhaust. There is at least one member here how did go to a stage 2 without exhaust mods, but I do not know what the long term effects were. I personally like the idea of "clean diesel" would not do the exhaust mods. Three hundred ft-lbs (410Nm) is plenty of torque for me.

Have Fun!

Don
I am the one that was testing the effects of stage 2+ on stock exhuast.. yes the car put out some very nice numbers but egt would reach over 2000+ temps during dpf cycling causing the car to pull boost.. but on a nice cold engine.. the car ran super strong.. the fear is that the engine will pull power during every dpf cycle not allowing it to clean itself over time causing a plugged DPF...

Greenone

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Any comments? seems the Unitronic and Upsolute give the highest increases, but for track use I would prefer "smooth", not just on/off power.
There are many chips out there, it appears most favor Malone, Upsolute chips, Unitronic.
People say Malone is a nice "smooth" tune; but it does not seem the most aggressive HP-wise.
It appears these numbers are software upgrades only, no hardware ie. Turbo
I apologize in advance for any errors. Some may not be available in the us.
If only one tune was listed, I linked it with "Stage 1"
From looking below, although a “box” is easier, a chip is probably better, especially if you want to upgrade components in future (turbo, injectors, exhaust). Some thread mentioned in Europe these engines minus the DPF were pushing 200+HP, but someone else thought the engine internals were different.
Stock numbers are for the 2.0 CR TDI engine: HP/Torque 140/236
Unitronic
Stage 1 175/295
Upsolute
Stage 1 177/291
MALONE
Stage 1 153/287 Stage 2 163/295 Stage 3 183(whp)/340 (384lb-ft crank)
Rocketchip
Stage 1 170/273 24 PSI
Wetterauer
Stage 1 170/295
Revotechnik
Stage 1 170/277
Neuspeed
Stage 1 170/275
optima-chiptunning
Stage 1 168/277

Superchips
Stage 1 168/269

V=tech power experts
Stage 1 "chip" 165 HP, "box" 170 HP
Diesel-tuning.com or parleysdieselperformance.com/
Stage1 “box” 168/205 – they list stock torque at 174, strange; their increase of 31 added to stock 236 would be 267

Chiptuning.eu
Stage 1 "box" plugs into common rail connector 190 HP
Tuningbox.com "box"
Stage 1 170/277
Mikrotuning
n/a no CR chip

APR
n/a diesel chip, but I found a thread from 2009, someone stated they were in contact with APR and that they would have a diesel chip in the near future.

*******UPDATE:
Sorry for the delay on this folks. We now have two years of data!

Initially went with the APR tune as they were the first to market for the 2012 VW Jetta TDI

APR has a lot of nice features, including stock tune and performance tune….. UNFORTUNATELY there was NO difference between stock and performance.

After a year of phone calls and nothing further on their end….

MALONE TUNE Stage 2 (DPF intact), finally the car drives like it should with no sacrifice to economy. (I did not see an improvement in economy either).
I have put 10,000 miles since the tune including 6 track days with no ill effects

I have had several emails back and fourth with Mark at Malone tuning.
I can’t say enough good about him and his answering my geeky/esoteric questions.

The installers were also great Salisbury Motor Car.

I would not hesitate to use either again….

www.salisburymotorcar.com (in the North East)

www.malonetuning.com
Malone also now lists a stage 3 tune with turbo replacement (CR 170 turbo)
also see initial (#1) message in thread

Last edited:

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
Well ill just put this out there.. i personally know 2 Commonrail TDI's that were tuned by APR 2013 and 2014 cars.. and both of them are no longer tuned by APR.. both eventually had DPF check engine lights.. leading to the 2014 one having to have his DPF replaced under warranty..