ALH vs BEW

tdifan2

TDI
2 VW TDI
Air intake - The BEW has a better intake pipe. Some ALH owners actually upgrade to the BEW intake piping. You wouldn't really need to modify it on the BEW (I'm a bit over 160/280 and I'm running the stock one.)

What part exactly do ALH owners get to upgrade the intake pipe to a BEW intake?

Bugwithaltitude

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Blue Lagoon New Beetle GLS TDI
Yes 505.01 is fine for ALH engines.
Might kill the cam after a while if you use that 5W-30 stuff.
Thanks for your replies - she needed to top up since the next oil change is about 2000 miles out. Engine has 150k and uses just a little oil. We go to the same v-dub mechanic so she'll probably get a quart of the 505.00 next visit.

Matador

TDI
'03 Jetta, '04 .:R
2014 bump

I recently got my hands on a TT 225 Coupe with a blown engine, and I really want to do a TDI 4motion build. I was looking to do either a 17/22 or 1756 w/passat manifold and AWIC but I'm wondering which engine I should be looking at; ALH or BEW? Or should I be looking at the 2.0 16v, though from what I've gathered I would need to get an ECU from Europe?

New to TDIs, but not to VWs. Got a Mk4 R in the garage and GLX as a daily. :)

Last edited:

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GOLF GTI converted to GTD
You should start a build thread stating you are doing a TT 4 motion build. That is if you are serious. Then pose that question. I guarantee responses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Matador

TDI
'03 Jetta, '04 .:R
I found my answer and BEW (for what I'm looking for) it is.

Yes I'm serious, but I'm not going to bother posting until I'm near completion or completed (even though I already have parts sitting on my bench). :)

mattthomas78

TDI
2012 vw jetta 2.0l tdi 6 speed
ALH is a VE-type Bosch DFI system, EDC15.

BEW is a PD-type Bosch DFI system, EDC16.

ALH has 90hp, BEW has 100.

ALH has 155tq, BEW has 177.

ALH gets bolted to a rando-fail 01M (4 speed) slushbox option.

BEW gets bolted to a Jatco 09A (5 speed) slushbox option.

ALH requires 505.00 oil.

BEW requires 505.01 oil.

BEW has a sturdier crank and rods, and camshaft driven higher pressure injectors. ALH still uses an injection pump.
I'm curious,

Can the BEW engine be made to run on an injection pump like the ALH?

Seems like the BEW engine is "BEEFIER" than the ALH by what I've read in this post, just wondering if it would be possible or worth the hassle...

TNguy

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
I'm curious,

Can the BEW engine be made to run on an injection pump like the ALH?

Seems like the BEW engine is "BEEFIER" than the ALH by what I've read in this post, just wondering if it would be possible or worth the hassle...
Not worth the hassle at all. Read post #13 and you'll find out why. The BEW injection system can push all the fuel that the car will ever want

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
Dweisel's Diesel, 2000 Blue Beetle 5 speed
Thanks for all the info here guys, I ended up bringing home a 2000 Beetle from a member here. It's going to be a long relationship I feel!

Dave

Getta

TDI
2004 vw jetta tdi PD
Okay thanks I'm having a problem with my PD it's has lost its power but the turbo is good I put boost gauge on today and reads fine I checked connector for N75 and it has low voltage what do I do next?

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Okay thanks I'm having a problem with my PD it's has lost its power but the turbo is good I put boost gauge on today and reads fine I checked connector for N75 and it has low voltage what do I do next?

Start a new thread, you will get more results.

Jarrod B

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
all i know is the alt and ac compressor are swapped around between the two. alh has ac on top alt on bottom. bew has ac on bottom and alt on top.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Jarrod B, I'll not quote you ..... you need to edit your post. The AC Compressor is on the bottom of the ALH with ALT over it.

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
Which one is better alh or bew?
Better per design simplicity and proven reliability? The ALH

But the last ALH equipped cars came out in 2003
17 years ago. Finding a car in good shape, decent miles and proven service record at a reasonable price will be hard.

The PD was produced on '04 '05 and '06
If you find a vehicle that meets yoir requirements by all means go for it.

Unless the car is rare gem were everything is perfect you will be spending money on catch up items

In the end the PD is still a DYI platform in case you like to perform your own repairs and fixes. And if you choose to have someone else do it there are plenty of independemt mechanics that can work on these. Just stay away from the dealership.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Both are good engines. I prefer the ALH, but as Carlos says find the best car you can regardless of engine. Either one will serve you well.