www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old November 11th, 2019, 20:22   #4696
Betteron2wheels

TDI(s): 02 Jetta
Default New TDI Owner in DC

Hi all,

I just picked up an 02 Jetta GLS TDI with a low 220k on it from the original owner with a pile of service records. The 1st order of business is new dampers and tire and fresh fluids while I'm learning the language of TDI. She's not much to look at but I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it.

Cheers!
Betteron2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2019, 10:35   #4697
bossbrew

TDI(s): None yet

Hi all,
Been a member for a few years when I was looking at either a TDI Golf or a GTI. Bought the GTI and love it. My wife's EOS was rear ended/totaled, so we bought a clean CPO 2013 Golf TDI with 65,000 miles. So far, so good, except its white, and we wanted blue. Oh well. I'll be taking care of most things like oil, filters, brakes, etc, so I'll be poking around the forum for help. Any thoughts of things to look for?
Thanks,
Dave
bossbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2019, 14:04   #4698
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbrew View Post
Hi all,
Been a member for a few years when I was looking at either a TDI Golf or a GTI. Bought the GTI and love it. My wife's EOS was rear ended/totaled, so we bought a clean CPO 2013 Golf TDI with 65,000 miles. So far, so good, except its white, and we wanted blue. Oh well. I'll be taking care of most things like oil, filters, brakes, etc, so I'll be poking around the forum for help. Any thoughts of things to look for?
Thanks,
Dave
You are new so welcome! All the things you ask about and more are here already for you to read. Go to the specific model forum and read to your hearts content or you get tired or overwhelmed. Good luck with the Golf! Get any outstanding maintenance done before anything else.
Old November 13th, 2019, 10:30   #4699
bossbrew

TDI(s): None yet

Thanks!
bossbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 17:48   #4700
A3Dave

TDI(s): Audi A3

Just got my 2013 A3 in October, new to the forums, came from a 2015 BMW 328dx and already hate my Audi A3, but just saying Hi while i'm here trying to get parts.
A3Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 19:35   #4701
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: In the sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3Dave View Post
Just got my 2013 A3 in October, new to the forums, came from a 2015 BMW 328dx and already hate my Audi A3, but just saying Hi while i'm here trying to get parts.

Hope it turns out better, Iím sorry your not a fan. The awd and more power in the bmw I think I would miss too. Also being new and more tech I assume are a large part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
ProfBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 21:53   #4702
Danvix

Hi everyone I'm the new guy not just to this site, but also to VW /TDI's. I just got a 2014 Passat SE TDI (CPO) and I'm really liking it!

I think it's really cool to see that there is so many people that love these cars and the willingness to help. I'm still learning the new vocabulary that is VW/TDI, but I'll get there.

Any way nice to meet you all
Dana
Danvix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2019, 15:39   #4703
A3Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfBrown View Post
Hope it turns out better, Iím sorry your not a fan. The awd and more power in the bmw I think I would miss too. Also being new and more tech I assume are a large part.

Just a lot of issues and undisclosed problems with the vehicle I found out about after purchase, also not a fan of the DSG by any means, miss my smooth 8 speed ZF transmission.

But then again I got into this car knowingly as a downgrade due to switching jobs. Thanks again.
Old November 14th, 2019, 15:49   #4704
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3Dave View Post
Just a lot of issues and undisclosed problems with the vehicle I found out about after purchase, also not a fan of the DSG by any means, miss my smooth 8 speed ZF transmission.

But then again I got into this car knowingly as a downgrade due to switching jobs. Thanks again.

Yeah the DSG has it moments of not being as smooth as a nicely tuned torque converter car. Keep in mind itís a dual clutch so it will always be different than a usual auto car but I assume you know that already. When on even throttle shifts are rather smooth considering itís a dual clutch.

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
Old November 14th, 2019, 18:29   #4705
A3Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfBrown View Post
Yeah the DSG has it moments of not being as smooth as a nicely tuned torque converter car. Keep in mind it’s a dual clutch so it will always be different than a usual auto car but I assume you know that already. When on even throttle shifts are rather smooth considering it’s a dual clutch.

My car has 70k miles and has a lot of issues with the DSG, I even did a fluid/filter service and nothing changed. I see the fluid was also changed once before at 40k miles.

The car bucks when coming to a stop, when I let off the brake pedal it launches forward as if my RPMs were at 1500 (but they're not). It slams into drive/reverse frequently to where the engine almost stalls out and makes a super loud noise.

Just not smooth at all. I have driven new Audis and got to admit it's a great quick transmission, but doesn't seem to hold up. My only guess now is it's either worn out, or a mechatronics issue. No transmission codes
Old November 14th, 2019, 19:51   #4706
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Yeah that is not normal operation. Iím sorry for your experience, but that is not how all DSGs are at all.

If you got a CPO warranty should cover any damages.

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
Old November 16th, 2019, 20:04   #4707
TDI-EDD

Default Oil temp or pressure gage needed?

I am a complete Newbie, new to the VW Touareg, new to diesels and new to forums. I have recently picked up a low mileage 2012 Touareg LUX for both a daily driver and tow vehicle for a 4200 lb travel trailer. Seemed like the perfect vehicle for this. I am trying to get everything setup on the TREG for long trips pulling the camper. I have found a lot of great advice on this forum and am very thankful. One item I still have a question about is the lack of an oil temperature or oil pressure gage on my Touareg.

Questions: How important is an oil temp or pressure gage for a diesel? Does towing make this more important? Would you recommend an aftermarket gage be added and if so, any preferences? Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
TDI-EDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2019, 19:32   #4708
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I would see if the app Torque would work for this. Way cheaper than adding a gauge. An old android phone or tablet and a BT OBDII dongle and the Torque app and you are on your way. Just have to find out if those are accessible from the OBDII port or not.
Old November 22nd, 2019, 00:38   #4709
Cgshirley

Default Helllllo! I'm throwing my hat in the ring!

I have a 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 1.9L that has about 222k miles on it.

I'm in Oakland California. And my fuel pump is leaking ever so slightly.

I found this replacement rebuilt pump that seems too good to be true and potentially a great deal: https://www.ebay.com/i/264258316949?...caAmvBEALw_wcB

I found a shop that will install a fuel pump for 4.5 hours or around $650. Fritz and Peters https://www.fritzandpeters.com

What do you all think if I should roll the die with this vendor selling rebuilt pumps from Poland on ebay, or if I should look at another option and get the mechanic to install it?
Cgshirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2019, 08:45   #4710
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

You can always try but if it fails you are stuck with it more than likely. You might just see if it can be resealed. The gaskets and stuff are available from Dieselgekk at the link below. There are threads here on how to do this yourself or ask your mechanics to do it. I would investigate this first.

https://www.dieselgeek.com/collectio...pump-seal-kits

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...fuel+pump+seal

We also have a trusted mechanics list here too that could do the job if one is near you.