www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old November 17th, 2019, 14:56   #1
vwdsmguy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49/46/42
Default brake pad light

I have this warning dash light saying I have a thin front brake pad. I have replaced the pads and caliper on the front rt. wheel, but the light remains after numerous engine cycles [restarts]. How to nix this light. I tried the diagnostic software, but I can't find a check brake light fix. What to do?
'02 Golf TDI, RC5, PP764's, FMIC, 2.5" T-Back, OMI, SB-3 clutch, 11mm pump, VNT17/22, 3 Bar MAP, CAT filter, 90 GPH Holley lift pump, modded D24 intake manifold, Rosten rods, Nural pistons, ported head - 15.0 @ 94 at the drags
vwdsmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2019, 15:08   #2
Nero Morg
Veteran Member

The left front wheel has wiring for a brake wear sensor. Sometimes aftermarket pads won't have the wire. Either yours is unplugged, or the wire is cut somewhere. Also, codes would be listed under instruments in VCDS, not the engine ecm.
Old November 17th, 2019, 19:02   #3
csstevej
Veteran Member

There is a way to disable the brake pad wear light through VCDS.
It’s been a while, but you have to go into adaptation and change from a 1 to a zero.
Again last time I did this was about 10 years ago.
Hopefully someone who does this will chime in with the correct window to change it in.

You can send Rosstech a message and ask them where to adjust it.
Old November 18th, 2019, 04:22   #4
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

So did you only replace the pads and rotor on the front right?

The inner left pad is the one with the wire. If the new pads didn’t have a wire to plug in or you don’t have vcds just jumper the plug with a short wire or paper clip tape it up and the light will stay out.
Tdijarhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2019, 14:11   #5
KrashDH
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwdsmguy View Post
I have this warning dash light saying I have a thin front brake pad. I have replaced the pads and caliper on the front rt. wheel, but the light remains after numerous engine cycles [restarts]. How to nix this light. I tried the diagnostic software, but I can't find a check brake light fix. What to do?
This post should fix you up, I just did this my last brake/rotor change because the light/warning was on after I did my installation. Note that my new pads came with the wire and plug and I had it plugged in, but it still threw a code.

A couple weeks later I had to remove the wheel to do something else (after I removed the warning with VCDS), so I unplugged the connector just to check it , and low and behold one of the prongs wasn't set good in the plug and when I pushed the connectors together, one of the prongs wasn't set and pushed out. Therefore It wasn't completing the circuit. I fixed it and plugged it back in, so I'm sure if I went back in the coding and turned it back on it would be fine, but I've opted not to. I can see when my pads are wearing.

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=296700
KrashDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2019, 16:14   #6
tgray
Veteran Member

Or just twist the 2 wires together and be done with the problem that way.
tgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2019, 11:23   #7
vwdsmguy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49/46/42
Default Brake pad warning light

I replaced the right front caliper and pads because the caliper bleed screw was broken off and the inside pad was very thin [outside pad OK]. I have had a left sensor wire come unpluged, so I'll check it. The light came on about the time I noticed the rt. caliper-pad issue and thought that was the cause of the light. I soldered the 2 wires leading to the left front sensor and the light went out HARRAH. Thanks for the help.
'02 Golf TDI, RC5, PP764's, FMIC, 2.5" T-Back, OMI, SB-3 clutch, 11mm pump, VNT17/22, 3 Bar MAP, CAT filter, 90 GPH Holley lift pump, modded D24 intake manifold, Rosten rods, Nural pistons, ported head - 15.0 @ 94 at the drags

Last edited by vwdsmguy; November 20th, 2019 at 09:49.
vwdsmguy is offline   Reply With Quote