www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old November 13th, 2019, 07:22   #1
Vwsleeper

Default 2000 vw no crank no start

I have an 2000 jetta tdi that drives like a dream but the other day i drove to my family house for dinner parked the car in the driveway when i left and tried to start the car all the normal light lit up but no sound came from the starter (which is brand new) the next day i came back to the car with my voltmeter i tested the battery (brand new as while) im getting 12.4 volt there and on the leads to the starter i unplugged the starter plug and was getting no power so i also checked the switch for clutch pedal im getting 12.3 volts there. Can anyone tell me tell what is making me lose power before i go completely through the wire harness
Vwsleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 08:33   #2
csstevej
Veteran Member

Could be your ignition switch.
Old November 13th, 2019, 08:35   #3
csstevej
Veteran Member

Have you tried to jump 12 volts to the solenoid on the starter to see if it pulls and cranks?
Old November 13th, 2019, 08:50   #4
steve6
Veteran Member

Test 12v to that small wire on the back of the starter when the key is in CRANK position.. (have someone sit in side and push the clutch, turn the key to CRANK). If you have 12v, the issue is the starter.

If you don't have 12v it could be clutch switch, ignition or other. If youre going to do what csstevej mentioned, please in neutral and e-brake on.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 09:52   #5
Vwsleeper

Yes i have tried that the starter does kick in is there any way to replace the ignition switch without having to take it to the dealer to have them reprogram it

Last edited by Vwsleeper; November 13th, 2019 at 09:56.
Old November 13th, 2019, 10:15   #6
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Does the glow plug light come on? If not change out the 109 relay.

https://www.idparts.com/relay-109-a4b4a3-p-350.html

Up under the dash above the drivers feet. Behind the big wiper relay (377) which you can remove for better access.

Ignition switch DIY.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/A4_...eplacement.pdf

Just reread your post. The ignition switch symptoms are no radio, headlights and a couple of other things when you turn the switch on. A bad 109 on the other hand in addition to having no glow plug light everything will light up and it cranks and cranks but just will not start.

Last edited by Tdijarhead; November 13th, 2019 at 10:23.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 10:43   #7
Vwsleeper

The 109 relay is good glow plug light comes on everything work but not getting power to starter to tell it to engage
Old November 13th, 2019, 10:48   #8
csstevej
Veteran Member

Follow the link Tdijarhead sent, it’s very easy about an hour to do.
Basically take the upper and lower steering columns off.
You will see the wire harness on the lower lh side,
There’s a small screw that’s covered with red sealant on the bottom, pick that out , loosen the screw and the whole switch assy comes out.remove the harness, plug the new one in and reverse putting it back together...
Some people disconnect the battery.....some don’t, there is power that goes to the switch so it’s always hot....
Old November 13th, 2019, 10:56   #9
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Power to the starter, the little wire should see 12v in start operation, the big wire carries battery + direct. Sometimes the big wires can corrode from the inside out, you can use jumper cable to rule that out (fo be careful). The other thing that can fail, rare, is the ground wire on top of the transmission, connect needs to be good.
If the little wire has no volts in start condition, troubleshhoot ignition switch and/or wires/connects.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 12:44   #10
wonneber
Veteran Member

In post 1 you mentioned 'i also checked the switch for clutch pedal im getting 12.3 volts there'

In post 5 you mentioned 'i have tried that the starter does kick in'

If your getting 12.3 volts at the clutch pedal -when you turn the key to start- then the ignition switch is good.

You should check if you also have power at the other pin on the clutch pedal with the clutch pedal pressed down.

When you said 'starter does kick in' do you mean the starter clicked but did not spin the engine, or the engine did spin?
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2019, 11:10   #11
Vwsleeper

I get no click from starter when using key but i can put a power to the starter and it will engage
Old November 14th, 2019, 11:35   #12
Nero Morg
Veteran Member

Could be the start relay as well, I believe it's one of the 53 relays. Should be spot 3, so top bank third from the left.