www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old November 11th, 2019, 16:45   #16
JDSwan87
Black Swamp Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
Because financially you dont put $ into something that is not worth the value of twice put into it. If the car is recked the insurance will total the car and your out your $.
Yea, great car good move to fix it but it's a dumb move financially. If you have $ to put into it as a love or hobby and are fine with the risk of losing your investment, then go for it.
What if someone has sky high insurance due to state laws like Michigan residents? (Lifetime medical coverage if on road accident)

Liability on my 05 costs $50/mo, full coverage costs $180/mo. Everyone assumes people have full coverage. In fact, I dropped full coverage years ago and the savings has "bought" me another car already.

Stella (Mine now): 2005 Shadow Blue Jetta Wagon TDI 09A
Mods: RC1. VCDS HEX-CAN USB (near Toledo, OH)
JDSwan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2019, 17:40   #17
Iowa TDI

TDI(s): 2000 NB 247K
Fuel Economy: 45-50

Scrap is $20 a ton right now, so keep it, but for more reasons than money.
Iowa TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2019, 19:03   #18
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38mix / 47@70-75

It is in rough shape inside and out. it would now just be for local commute.

This statement says that you need to consider how much you drive locally and whether or not you would be better off buying something that's getting better mileage for shorter trips, or if you're driving far enough to actually save money.

Where you are in Arkansas I'd assume not. Then you have to figure out if you want to put more into it being that.
Due to your asking, you're in the fence and not a die hard like many commenting here.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, fill tube ectomy, soon to be Bosio DLC 1020's PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi
eddieleephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2019, 17:01   #19
WildChild80
Veteran Member

What was the verdict?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WildChild80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2019, 17:20   #20
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Five years ago I bought a new OE long block for my Wagon and paid to have it installed. The car was running on the old engine but had significant blowby, even though I'd had both top and bottom ends refreshed about 10K miles earlier, at considerable expense. In those two repairs I probably spent over $8,000, including the engine purchase. Car was probably worth a fraction of that.

110K miles later I've thought many times about how happy I am that I had that work done. Odds are any newer car I could have purchased (new or used) would have cost that much in depreciation and/or repairs in that 110K miles, and my Wagon is probably worth as much if not more than 5 years ago with a worn engine. So the repairs were a bargain, based on cost per mile. The deciding factor on replacing the engine was that the rest of the car was in great shape, including just having received about $4K in rust repair, courtesy of VW's warranty.

Basing what to spend on repairs on the value of the vehicle is, in my opinion, false logic. It's more sensible to compare the expense to what it would cost to drive another car instead. What's an average new car payment? What does insurance and property tax cost on a new or newer car? Sales tax? There a lots of ways that keeping what you have and fixing it makes sense. Remember, a car is an expense, not an investment.
Old November 18th, 2019, 17:26   #21
WildChild80
Veteran Member

I'm glad you weighed in IBW, I like those points, I have spent money on mine for a similar reason, long term ownership...title in hand is one of my favorite phrases

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WildChild80 is offline   Reply With Quote