01 New beetle glow plug wiring diagram

moparvwfrak

TDI
02 Jetta TDI, 99 MK4 Jetta TDI (parts), 99 mk4 Jetta gasser
Does anyone have a scan of the system diagram? I have a short to ground SOMEWHERE in the system and I need to find it. but since I don't have the diagram for it, i don't even know where to start. help please???

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Have you pulled the harness to make sure it's not a glow plugs that tossed it's cookies?

Is this based on a code?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

moparvwfrak

TDI
i cant recall the code itsself but the wording is glow plug relay short to ground. could be a bad plug BUT this system has had someone in there messing with it. hence why im looking for the diagram. that way i can verify that all the wiring is good to go.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
The code you're referring to IIRC is open or short to ground (the resistance is outside what it wants)

If you want help fixing it, let us know what it's doing, if you want the wiring diagram Google it.

moparvwfrak

TDI
I have googled it. Every day for the last week. I either get the spam sites that done do anything but give ads for things I don't need OR the 4 wire GP diagrams. Which neither help what I'm working on.

moparvwfrak

TDI
Well with this kind on help I should have gone to the Vortex. It seems I would have gotten the same "Google it" BS answer. Thanks for the "help"

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Sorry your not getting the help you want but having the code does help.
The message 'glow plug relay short to ground' could be a broken wire, bad fuse (no power) or such.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't get your panties in a bunch, you probably don't have a short, almost every ALH owner has dealt with the exact problem you're having and are trying to save you some hassle.

What code are you getting?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
And you'll see the glow system is pretty simple really. The output is just from the relay to the plugs themselves. The relay is inside the car on that one, on the relay panel above the left footwell area.

You can narrow down the entire glow system to only a couple key parts: the four plugs, the harness, or "bridge" as it is sometimes called, and the relay, or "glow control unit". That is pretty much it. Obviously the wiring connecting them all.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I replaced my relay and that didn't fix mine, rebuilt the harness, still didn't fix mine...rang out the wires...all looked good, new glow plugs didn't fix it(Bosch), had to swap the location of 2 glow plugs to get the resistance in the happy place for the ECU to like it.

Moral of the story, the 2 channel glow circuits are less intuitive to work on. They give broad, vague codes that are tricky to interpret.

moparvwfrak

TDI
i dont come here for info if i can find it elsewhere. but this being the premiere diesel site for VW, i figured if i couldnt find it anywhere else SOMEONE here would have a diagram so i could figure out where to go.

i already found what i was looking for since a diagram was not available, either here or google. 5 hrs of tearing things apart to find the wiring and checking it. one dead plug and a shorted bus bar. mainly due to a previous owner.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
i dont come here for info if i can find it elsewhere. but this being the premiere diesel site for VW, i figured if i couldnt find it anywhere else SOMEONE here would have a diagram so i could figure out where to go.

i already found what i was looking for since a diagram was not available, either here or google. 5 hrs of tearing things apart to find the wiring and checking it. one dead plug and a shorted bus bar. mainly due to a previous owner.
Did you check the link in post 10?
I'm guessing maybe not. :(