www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old November 8th, 2019, 20:25   #1
jptbay
Veteran Member

Default Quick BEW limp like pointers

Went into limp like state right away after starting when I left to drive home this morning after nightshift. Tried a dozen or so restarts on the way home, but would not resolve.

Was acting similarly this spring and I deleted the EGR by going to PD150 intake manifold and retaining the ASV. Seemed to resolve issue and have had no trouble for 6 months.

No codes. Checked vnt operation with VCDS, all good. Changed fuel filter, went for a ride and back to normal, full power. There are no boost leaks. Have doggie collar, vnt17 and upgraded intercooler. Went to bed.

Left for work tonight, car had full power. Was snowing so I was driving easy. Went into limp like state again sometime while I was putting around on a city street. Stopped at a light and was limped out.

Some ideas for things to check?

No codes is annoying. Thinking fuel. New VW lift pump last winter, seems to be working good. Car has about 335ooo km. Still on original tandem pump, but I have a new one on hand. Put in new Bosch MAF this spring too when I did the manifold.
2003 Beetle, 18/56, 3 Bar MAP, 11mm pump, Bosio R520's, Cat fuel filter, PD lift pump, Kerma OMI, Kerma tune, IDParts lower boost pipe, Tyrolsport SMIC, Turbo S fender liner, PD150 intake w/racepipe, IDParts 2.5" stainless downpipe & 2.5" straight exhaust, ARP headstuds, ASV Pistons, I.E. I-Beam rods, BFI stage 1 mounts, Spec stage 3+ clutch/18lb flywheel, R axles, VR6 spindles, GLI big brakes F&R, 17" Enkei RPF1's, Koni FSD's, Evolution skid plate, McNally 30 PSI boost/EGT gauge, OEM HID's ...
jptbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2019, 23:19   #2
jptbay
Veteran Member

Thinking about it more, I checked and forgot that BEW and ALH MAF's are different. Been working fine until now, but maybe with colder weather it is out of range.

I'm going to try unplugging it in the morning and see what happens with a default value.
2003 Beetle, 18/56, 3 Bar MAP, 11mm pump, Bosio R520's, Cat fuel filter, PD lift pump, Kerma OMI, Kerma tune, IDParts lower boost pipe, Tyrolsport SMIC, Turbo S fender liner, PD150 intake w/racepipe, IDParts 2.5" stainless downpipe & 2.5" straight exhaust, ARP headstuds, ASV Pistons, I.E. I-Beam rods, BFI stage 1 mounts, Spec stage 3+ clutch/18lb flywheel, R axles, VR6 spindles, GLI big brakes F&R, 17" Enkei RPF1's, Koni FSD's, Evolution skid plate, McNally 30 PSI boost/EGT gauge, OEM HID's ...
Old November 9th, 2019, 06:40   #3
jptbay
Veteran Member

Well that was a slow ride home...

Unplugged the MAF and no improvement. I ordered a new one so it would be correct. Going to have to dig some more when I have time.
Old November 9th, 2019, 08:46   #4
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

Does no boost leaks include the IC connections down under?
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2019, 15:15   #5
jptbay
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB05 View Post
Does no boost leaks include the IC connections down under?
Yes. Took a good look. I changed the oil when I changed the fuel filter and had the car up in the air with the skid plate off. When I installed the upgraded SMIC I swapped all the lower boost pipes to ALH ones.

Further, if there where boost leaks I would expect a code for deviation from requested.

Been reading a lot of old threads and there seem to be a few things to look at. I am going to more thoroughly check the N75 and turbo, as well as change the tandem pump that I have been meaning to get to for a while because of a leak.

Welcome other avenues look at too. Don't be shy, throw out your ideas please.

Don't think it could be the cat plugged, due to the intermittent nature of this issue.
Old November 11th, 2019, 06:30   #6
jptbay
Veteran Member

So it wasn't the tandem pump. At least it won't be leaking any more.

Will look at it more tonight.
Old November 11th, 2019, 15:41   #7
wonneber
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptbay View Post
Further, if there where boost leaks I would expect a code for deviation from requested.
If it looses power while you are driving (limp mode) you have to scan for the code before you shut the car off.
It self resets when the ignition shuts off.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2019, 16:41   #8
P2B
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonneber View Post
If it looses power while you are driving (limp mode) you have to scan for the code before you shut the car off.
It self resets when the ignition shuts off.
No, you don't. Limp mode resets when the ignition is cycled but any stored code remains until cleared with a scan tool.

Simon
2000 Canyon Red Jetta TDI GLS 560K
P2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2019, 17:32   #9
jptbay
Veteran Member

No time tonight unfortunately to look at it, but appreciate any brainstorming ideas.
Old November 12th, 2019, 08:04   #10
jptbay
Veteran Member

Checked a bunch of things this morning and it looks like my three bar map is the issue.
Click on thumbnails for larger picture.
In measuring blocks in VCDS, both idling and engine off, boost is showing 2196 mbar. When engine off specified is supposed to be 192. Idling specified is just over 1000.
Also group 22 shows charge pressure system malfunction.
Funny how no fault codes were logged.
Ignore the MAF readings. It's not working because as I previously mentioned it's the wrong one, and clearly not working, so a new proper BEW one is on it's way.
Going to order up a new map and see what happens.

Old November 16th, 2019, 15:43   #11
jptbay
Veteran Member

MAP sensor ended up being faulty.

Pretty happy car again. Got some love with the proper MAF finally, no more leaking tandem pump, and got the winter tires on.
Old November 18th, 2019, 08:15   #12
wonneber
Veteran Member

Glad you resolved it and posted the fix.
It may help others down the road.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote