www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 31st, 2019, 14:50   #1
turbotuff

Default ALH cold start issue

Hi there! I have a rough start issue first thing in the morning with my newly acquired 03 Jetta with 192k miles. The car takes only a couple seconds of cranking to start but runs rough for about 10 seconds and then smooths out. This doesn't seem to make a difference whether it's 40F outside or 60F. I've eliminated the thermostatic tee, drilled out the check valves in the fuel sending unit, ran new fuel lines under the hood, new fuel filter, new updated MAF, ohm'd all glow plugs to be 1.9 ohms, tested glow plug harness, verified coolant temp reads the same as intake air temp and fuel temp. Timing is dead on, IQ is ~3.5 at hot idle. No engine codes in the VCDS. Not sure where else to look. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by turbotuff; October 31st, 2019 at 16:15.
turbotuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2019, 15:11   #2
mr.loops
Veteran Member

Default ALH cold start issue

My freshly built ALH had a bad cold start stumble first thing in the morning ( lasted around 8 seconds). Starting it warm, I had no issues what so ever

Turns out my static timing was out a tad. Your belt might be stretched causing this rough start.

How do you confirm yours? Did you use the proper tools (cam plate and IP pin) or did you just do a visual check?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by mr.loops; October 31st, 2019 at 15:19.
mr.loops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2019, 15:17   #3
turbotuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.loops View Post
My freshly built ALH had a bad cold start stumble first thing in the morning ( lasted around 8 seconds). Starting it warm, I had no issues what so ever

Turns out my was my static timing was out a tad. Your belt might be stretched causing this rough start.

How do you confirm yours? Did you use the proper tools (cam plate and IP pin) or did you just do a visual check?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I checked it via VCDS
Old October 31st, 2019, 16:28   #4
Fahrvegnugen
Veteran Member

A couple of cranking seconds on cold start makes me wonder about or starter or battery. Of course it could be something else but that would be checked later
Fahrvegnugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2019, 16:39   #5
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

The fact that it runs rough for 10 seconds makes me think maybe there is a small leak in the fuel system. Once running the air dissipates.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2019, 18:48   #6
jmodge
Veteran Member

Have you gone to advanced measuring blocks checked your speciified against actual timing during this period.
Old October 31st, 2019, 18:53   #7
jmodge
Veteran Member

As mentioned above, it does start on static timing before the ecu takes over. Maybe bump it around and see what happens
Old October 31st, 2019, 19:38   #8
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Diesel purge, closed loop system and see if that helps

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WildChild80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2019, 22:37   #9
turbotuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrvegnugen View Post
A couple of cranking seconds on cold start makes me wonder about or starter or battery. Of course it could be something else but that would be checked later
Maybe I wasn't clear. It fires off right away and just runs rough once it's started. It doesn't have a starting issue, more a running issuem
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmodge View Post
Have you gone to advanced measuring blocks checked your speciified against actual timing during this period.
No, I've yet to explore the advanced measuring blocks but I'll have to do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildChild80 View Post
Diesel purge, closed loop system and see if that helps

Already done that with no improvement
Old November 1st, 2019, 00:20   #10
Nero Morg
Veteran Member

Sounds like your fuel return system is bleeding down. Mine did the same thing, same symptoms and all. The thermo t wasn't sealing correctly, poorly manufactured filter. Replaced the filter and it fixed it right up. Mind you, when the fuel return system leaks, typically it'll let air in when cold, rather than leak fuel. Starts from #1 injector, goes to IP, then fuel filter thermo t. Check all the lines, and replace as necessary. Good luck.
Old November 1st, 2019, 00:23   #11
turbotuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Morg View Post
Sounds like your fuel return system is bleeding down. Mine did the same thing, same symptoms and all. The thermo t wasn't sealing correctly, poorly manufactured filter. Replaced the filter and it fixed it right up. Mind you, when the fuel return system leaks, typically it'll let air in when cold, rather than leak fuel. Starts from #1 injector, goes to IP, then fuel filter thermo t. Check all the lines, and replace as necessary. Good luck.
I've already bypassed the thermostatic tee and have a filter mount for a standard spin-on filter. All the lines under the hood are new with the exception of the injector return hoses, which are next to be replaced.
Old November 1st, 2019, 03:36   #12
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Try moving the IQ to 4-4.5 and see what happens.

The only other thing I notice is your glow plugs are a little high on the ohm scale. They should be in the 0.5-0.7 area, however if they are all about the same and you have no glow plug codes I would leave them alone for now. They shouldn’t affect your idle.

Last edited by Tdijarhead; November 1st, 2019 at 03:41.
Tdijarhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2019, 06:31   #13
turbotuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdijarhead View Post
Try moving the IQ to 4-4.5 and see what happens.

The only other thing I notice is your glow plugs are a little high on the ohm scale. They should be in the 0.5-0.7 area, however if they are all about the same and you have no glow plug codes I would leave them alone for now. They shouldn’t affect your idle.
Hammer mod or via VCDS?
Old November 1st, 2019, 06:38   #14
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Hammer mod but if you wanna try it with vcds to see if it makes a difference, I don't think that would hurt

Last edited by WildChild80; November 1st, 2019 at 06:41.
WildChild80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2019, 06:41   #15
turbotuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildChild80 View Post
Hammer mod

Hot idle correct?