www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 28th, 2019, 14:18   #1
UhOh
Veteran Member

Default Is this seat element repairable?

I am unfamiliar with this kind of wire. Kind of looks like its carbon? Is there some way to repair this?

I'm failing to get pics uploaded so here's a link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bswo7e0y2d...at_element.jpg
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2019, 15:03   #2
Nero Morg
Veteran Member

I've soldered them back together before then heat shrinked it. Isn't easy, but doable.
Old October 28th, 2019, 16:50   #3
UhOh
Veteran Member

These wires appear to be something other than metal. They don't feel like metal at all, which made me stop dead in my tracks. I've done repairs on other seats (thermistor wire on my own MKIV; broken wires on a Saab).
Old October 28th, 2019, 20:58   #4
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

They are very fine copper wire last time I checked - very hard to strip to get enough to solder, but it can be done.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2019, 21:11   #5
UhOh
Veteran Member

So, I'm looking at very fine wires that are covered with some sort of insulation/coating that's black?

Wonder if I can't just burn off the coatings?
Old October 29th, 2019, 03:45   #6
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

There’s a guy who has been long absent from the forum for quite some time. I hope everything has been ok with you.

Regarding the seats it might be easier to scavenge a good seat from the junkyard.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2019, 09:45   #7
UhOh
Veteran Member

Yes, doing well, thanks: I cannot even keep up with myself!

This is the wife's car. It's immaculate. Finding a replacement seat would be like finding a needle in a haystack.
Old October 29th, 2019, 10:19   #8
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

car-part.com will have one
BobnOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2019, 11:40   #9
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
So, I'm looking at very fine wires that are covered with some sort of insulation/coating that's black?

Wonder if I can't just burn off the coatings?

Maybe - used to fix these on Saabs all the time - used to have to do it more often for more rotund drivers...

Very fine wire with very thin insulation - usually not hard to find the break, as there was almost always a small burn mark on the foam to show where the wire had broken and arc'd before it failed.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2019, 10:43   #10
UhOh
Veteran Member

Breaks in the Saab's seats were from the ex kneeling on the seats (I told her to stop doing that).

I can find the breaks in the Golf's seats -yes, burn marks- so no problem there.

Anyone point me in the direction of some patching material that's like the original (insulative properties)?

I'm going to give it a shot at repairing, but I don't have a lot of confidence it's going to turn out OK. Finding a matching seat is going to be extremely hard (I did put out a feeler to car-part.com): whose to say that another seat doesn't have the same issue (broken element but no clear signs of burning through)?
Old October 31st, 2019, 11:13   #11
UhOh
Veteran Member

Found out what the material of the wire is, it's "nichrome." Not really solderable. Crimps (proper) are the only real way of connecting. Tying together might be a way of reconnecting: might try this, as I don't want lumps in the seat from connectors.
Old November 2nd, 2019, 12:45   #12
UhOh
Veteran Member

Looks like this element is a gonner. Found what more looks like ground zero; further back on the thigh bolster has a fair length of charred element (crispified, vs. just broken at the front corner).

it is doubtful I'm going to find a drop-in replacement for the entire seat. So...

Are these elements the same in both the driver's and passenger seats?

Thinking that my only path is to find a donor, find a (perhaps passenger) seat that I can remove the element out of an install in this seat. I should have looked more closely, but I believe that it'll require some sewing (element pad attaches to seat cover at the rod pockets?).

If VW still sold the cover and element I'd shell out for one. If it was my DD I wouldn't be so sure, but it's the wife's car.
Old November 3rd, 2019, 10:54   #13
wonneber
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
Looks like this element is a gonner. Found what more looks like ground zero; further back on the thigh bolster has a fair length of charred element (crispified, vs. just broken at the front corner).
I wonder if the switch was had and it overheated the seat the same as mine did way back.

VW fixed mine with a recall for the issue.
Even put a new cover on for the tiny hole burnt in it.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2019, 11:01   #14
UhOh
Veteran Member

Rich,

We don't have much history with this car: bought it for the son up in Canada about three years ago and got it from him about a year ago.

Not sure if a broken wire toward the front resulted in the damage further back (increased resistance).

I found that VW still has the pads available so I ordered one (1stVWparts). Just shy of $170 (tax and shipping incl). Yeah, a few coins, but any other solution would end up being more of a hassle and eating up more time that I don't have available. For what it's worth, the part number for this particular seat (4dr, cloth) is: 1J0-963-555-B (same for either seat/side)
Old November 3rd, 2019, 20:11   #15
wonneber
Veteran Member

Try checking on line for recalls.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
If it has open recalls they should show.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote