www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old October 21st, 2019, 22:02   #1
jayceT05

TDI(s): 2003 jetta
Default Random power loss "hiccup"

Hey everyone first time tdi owner recently acquired a new to me 2001 tdi alh jetta the car has 306000km on it searched a bunch of forums and cant find one with the exact same symptoms. Sometimes while driving the engine will just all of a sudden drop rpms (the whole car will jerk) for a split second than kick back in doesnt matter what gear I'm in or if I'm going up or down hill. Could be fine and not do it for a week than do it 2 - 3 times within 100km. No check engine light has came on I have replaced fuel filter (was happening prior to this) and noticed alot of air bubbles from fuel filter to pump, not sure if this is normal or not.

As well while driving between 2000 and 3000rpm and you step on it you can feel the motor shaking. More noticeable in 4th and 5th gear. I know it's not tires cause it did it with my old tires and still does it with my new tires as well as dont feel it in steering wheel at all. Read some forums and leaning towards possibly engine mounts? Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
jayceT05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 23:04   #2
STDOUBT
Veteran Member

Welcome!

Our first order of business is to determine when your timing belt was
last changed. Not when you were told it was changed, but proof positive "when", and that it was done properly (new rollers, water pump, etc).
If you have no proof positive that it was done within recommended interval, you need to do it -now-.
Although no CEL comes on, it may still be storing a code(s).
VCDS would help here.
I have noticed that "split second" on rare occasion with my '03 - I call it a heart murmur. I'm not too concerned, but yours seems way more frequent.

Probably not related if it was happening before your FF change, but a lot of bubbles in the fuel line is -not- normal, and may indicate a leak of
air into the fuel system which is at least as common as fuel leaking out.
A common point of air infiltration is the "fuel filter 't'" in the top of the fuel filter. Make sure you replace its o-rings, and maybe if it's original, replace it.
STDOUBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 06:48   #3
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Make certain the mating surface on the block is clean and free of any rust and debris. Do NOT shop around for the cheapest part, either.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 06:57   #4
jayceT05

Quote:
Originally Posted by STDOUBT View Post
Welcome!

Our first order of business is to determine when your timing belt was
last changed. Not when you were told it was changed, but proof positive "when", and that it was done properly (new rollers, water pump, etc).
If you have no proof positive that it was done within recommended interval, you need to do it -now-.
Although no CEL comes on, it may still be storing a code(s).
VCDS would help here.
I have noticed that "split second" on rare occasion with my '03 - I call it a heart murmur. I'm not too concerned, but yours seems way more frequent.

Probably not related if it was happening before your FF change, but a lot of bubbles in the fuel line is -not- normal, and may indicate a leak of
air into the fuel system which is at least as common as fuel leaking out.
A common point of air infiltration is the "fuel filter 't'" in the top of the fuel filter. Make sure you replace its o-rings, and maybe if it's original, replace it.
Thanks stdpubt for replying the only proof I have of timing belt being done is a sticker on inside of door says was done 278xxxkm back in 2016.

As far as the T ontop of fuel filter I did replace the o rings on it as it came with fuel filter havnt tried replacing the t itself yet just wanted to get some opinions before I start throwing parts at.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 12:27   #5
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Note for all newbies, when you get an answer from oilhammer, you're almost done.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 15:54   #6
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Yup change that sensor, first order of business.

Not that you don’t need to be aware of when the belt was done but taking care of that crankshaft sensor will almost certainly fix what your problem is.

Only a Bosch sensor no cheap amazon chinese crap.

Last edited by Tdijarhead; October 22nd, 2019 at 15:57.
Tdijarhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 18:00   #7
jayceT05

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Make certain the mating surface on the block is clean and free of any rust and debris. Do NOT shop around for the cheapest part, either.
Sounds good will give that a try and see if it makes any changes. You thinking this will fix the hiccups while driving or the shaking between 2 and 3000rpm?

Old October 23rd, 2019, 04:39   #8
oilhammer

If the ECU sees a loss of that signal, but not long enough to flag a DTC, it will "skip" or "hiccup". You won't see it drop on the scan tool data, because the sample rate is too low. You can put a lab scope on the sensor itself and sometimes see it drop out, especially if you can record an event than scroll back through it in slow motion.

This is just an educated guess, but I have seen this happen before. It seems much more common on the BHW engine for some reason, but I have seen it happen on the ALH too.
Old October 29th, 2019, 13:04   #9
jayceT05

Quote:
If the ECU sees a loss of that signal, but not long enough to flag a DTC, it will "skip" or "hiccup". You won't see it drop on the scan tool data, because the sample rate is too low. You can put a lab scope on the sensor itself and sometimes see it drop out, especially if you can record an event than scroll back through it in slow motion.

This is just an educated guess, but I have seen this happen before. It seems much more common on the BHW engine for some reason, but I have seen it happen on the ALH too.
So havnt changed that sensor yet as I was out of town working but on the way home glow plug light started flashing and check engine light came on and threw code p1246 and started doing the hiccup alot still think its crank position sensor?

Old October 30th, 2019, 04:34   #10
oilhammer

I think you need a better scan tool.

P1246???
Old October 30th, 2019, 09:56   #11
jayceT05

Quote:
I think you need a better scan tool.

P1246???
It says p1246 needle lift sensor (g80) implausible signal. I pulled car over side of the road shut it off wiggled wires from number 3 injector cleared code and is running fine now. Was reading some other forums and apparently the number 3 injector the sensor in it screws up not sure if I should remove it and try cleaning it or try a injector cleaner additive would just go get a new injector but vw dealership said the injectors are no longer available same with my parts store (lordco).

Old October 30th, 2019, 10:35   #12
oilhammer

Normally the lift sensors do not fail, at least not a high failure item.

Plenty of good core #3 injectors out there though if you look around. I say core because once they are used and removed from an engine, unless they are stored in some sort of oil-based liquid (diesel, kerosene, light motor oil, etc.) they can stick and not work any more (the injector nozzle part). Plus, they really are best to be checked out in sets, so that all four injectors opening pressures are the same, and they have been checked for good spray patterns.

I honestly cannot say what would happen, as I have never seen one of these fail in the way yours is, but it does at least make some sense. The lift sensor is sort of similar to a cam sensor/TDC sensor on other engines. So it along with the crank sensor are what the ECU uses to time everything.
Old October 30th, 2019, 13:34   #13
jmodge
Veteran Member

1248 I believe you meant. Mine was doing the same thing, always at approximately 1800 rpm before I replaced a worn sticking vnt mechanism. Doesn’t do it anymore, but It’s a monitoring device, so it could probably mean any number of things. I can’t explain how it relates to my vnt system, other than it has stopped doing it
Old October 30th, 2019, 13:37   #14
jmodge
Veteran Member

Also in my case the other symptoms were boost lag and overboost, though not enough to throw a code for overboost
Old October 31st, 2019, 00:22   #15
jayceT05

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmodge View Post
1248 I believe you meant. Mine was doing the same thing, always at approximately 1800 rpm before I replaced a worn sticking vnt mechanism. Doesnít do it anymore, but Itís a monitoring device, so it could probably mean any number of things. I canít explain how it relates to my vnt system, other than it has stopped doing it
P1246