www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old November 27th, 2017, 07:57   #61
mrmoto35
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machineman View Post
Can anyone comment whether I should powdercoat the intercooler piping black or leave it stainless ? Im on the fence
This is just me, but I like the idea of powdercoat. My personal choice would be black so as to retain an "OEM" look. But black may have slight heat implications...Either way it looks great!

As others have said your fab work is brilliant!! It all looks top shelf. Everything in the engine compartment is nice and clean, nothing looks cluttered. Great stuff, thanks for sharing this with us!
mrmoto35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 08:54   #62
Machineman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmoto35 View Post
This is just me, but I like the idea of powdercoat. My personal choice would be black so as to retain an "OEM" look. But black may have slight heat implications...Either way it looks great!

As others have said your fab work is brilliant!! It all looks top shelf. Everything in the engine compartment is nice and clean, nothing looks cluttered. Great stuff, thanks for sharing this with us!

Thanks and yes I agree the black will look more oem this project is far from OEM lol but it's nice to keep things looking like they're supposed to be there
Machineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 09:02   #63
Machineman
Veteran Member

I have some bad news as well the low pressure turbo blew up on the weekend the cause is likely related to the fact that the oil line was too small feeding the distribution block and will be replacing it with a 6an braided line the good news is I will be upgrading the turbos to a td06h 25g billet and a td04hl 15t or 19t maybe TDImeister can comment on that as i am unsure of whats more suited 15t flows 420cfm 19t is 500cfm 25g is 850cfm the good news is I can keep my original housings
Old November 27th, 2017, 09:09   #64
Machineman
Veteran Member

I'm also working on building up a fresh long block with a ported oversized valve head and hopefully a 11mm lift cam I'm going to try and turn it into a street monster 4cyl
Old November 27th, 2017, 12:26   #65
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

for HP turbo sizing, the flow volume remains constant despite increases in air density, so you need to use gas compression formulas to figure out where you're at on the HP side

I find that mass flow based maps are easier to work with, as you simply multiply the airmass values by whatever the inlet air is above the atmospheric air density and temperature the map was made with.
Running an LP PR of 2 and an HP inlet temperature of 80F, you might multiply the mass flow values for the HP compressor map by 2.
LP PR 2, HP inlet 150F, you'd multiply by 1.6 or whatever. Calculate the difference in inlet density.

MHI maps are volume flow based, however.
This avoids needing to specify inlet temperature and pressure on the compressor map, but it makes things a little different in the calculation side. I just converted my maps to mass flow rather than figuring out the volume flow.

I'd imagine playing around with a few gas law calculators you could figure it out.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2017, 13:57   #66
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Sorry to hear about the ruined LP

Need interstage as well as intake manifold pressures and temperatures to make any sort of educated determination.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2017, 20:45   #67
Machineman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister View Post
Sorry to hear about the ruined LP

Need interstage as well as intake manifold pressures and temperatures to make any sort of educated determination.

I agree do you think 800cfm 25 G lp is too big in conjunction with the 13 G? As these are the same price and if I'm buying a new one I want to buy the most Suited I read somewhere that your low pressure should be roughly twice the flow your high pressure the 20 G I was running is a little under half 25 G is a little over half
Old November 30th, 2017, 19:29   #68
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

25g is 60/78, so pretty close to the HX40 I'll be trying out with a 19t HP
IIRC I looked into a 15t HP and it was lining up reasonably well with the hx40, the 13g isn't all that much smaller

yours'll probably be together first, though, so any numbers I come up with real world won't do you much good, haha
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2017, 19:48   #69
nitec

TDI(s): 1.9TDi PD
Fuel Economy: What's fuel economy?

needs a Holset just saying...
Old December 2nd, 2017, 08:28   #70
Machineman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitec View Post
needs a Holset just saying...
I might agree holset turbos are very durable and if I blow another low pressure I put in a hx40 on
Old December 2nd, 2017, 08:29   #71
Machineman
Veteran Member

Old December 2nd, 2017, 08:36   #72
Machineman
Veteran Member

Finally got my flow bench somewhat working now I'm starting to understand a bit of the limitations of these cylinder heads at factory lift versus 12 mm lift there's very little increasing flow maby 3% I don't think these require more lift I think duration is more important and larger valves and porting I think the ports and valves are simply just too small for much more gains and the exhaust definitely has more room for improvement
Old December 3rd, 2017, 11:24   #73
Horia

Fuel Economy: Not for me ;)

Hi! Do you have knwoldge of a device similary to VFIZ able to fit on a B8 3.0 tdi, besides P3 gauge ? Something like Awron, who does it only for bmw...
And how about your audi 3.0 tdi, are you still continuing the project? Good luck ! you have pm ....

Last edited by Horia; December 5th, 2017 at 16:24.
Horia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2017, 22:02   #74
Machineman
Veteran Member

Can anyone comment weather at - 6 feeding 2 - 4 lines is enough oil in theory it should be but I'm worried about blowing my new Turbo does the factory TDI oil filter housing output enough oil from one fitting to supply to turbos??
Old December 4th, 2017, 07:01   #75
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

It's not the housing that flows the oil - it's the oil pump.

No mention in the thread - I assume your BHW block is BSM deleted?

If so, the best option for oil flow would be an ALH pump with BRM oil pump gears (fastest oil pump RPM). You may open pressure relief valve cold, but you will have the largest oil volume hot.

You have 4 feeds off that line? 2 turbo oil feeds and...?

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote