www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old June 22nd, 2017, 13:15   #16
50mpgtdi

Fuel Economy: 36-41MPG

I heard back from Frans. A 5 speed trans would be ~$417.85 shipped to me. He also asked if I needed a flywheel and clutch. Out of curiosity, I asked about the price. For a Sachs DMF and heavy duty clutch kit, it would be ~$807.82. As much as I would love to be able to make these purchases and have the "most ideal" setup, I am going to move forward with the V6 trans and SMF for a 1.8T. It would nearly double the manual swap budget to buy just the trans, and over triple the budget to get the trans and the DMF.
50mpgtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 19:56   #17
vwztips
Veteran Member

FWIW, if you do NOT put a tune on your ECU and leave it stock, you MAY get by with the 1.8t clutch, or MAYbe not. However, it definitely will not hold a stage 1 or 2 tune.
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 22:04   #18
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

TDI(s): B5.5 Passat

You're budget is simply way too low for this type of project imo, as the saying goes you get what you pay for. Good luck.
d0u8l3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 09:40   #19
50mpgtdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwztips View Post
FWIW, if you do NOT put a tune on your ECU and leave it stock, you MAY get by with the 1.8t clutch, or MAYbe not. However, it definitely will not hold a stage 1 or 2 tune.
Well, I guess time will tell, but the clutch I am looking at is rated for 360 lbft of torque, so I would think it should be ok if I don't totally abuse it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0u8l3m View Post
You're budget is simply way too low for this type of project imo, as the saying goes you get what you pay for. Good luck.
And again, time will tell....I have always lived on a shoestring budget, not by choice, but by force because of not having a high income. Yet I have always been successful at making it work and being able to have decent vehicles on that budget.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 14:12   #20
imo000
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwztips View Post
Mine is a single mass clutch kit from a 1.8T and is holding just fine with a 1.5 tune. The dual mass 1.8t flywheel was another story.
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 14:15   #21
imo000
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0u8l3m View Post

Not really. Just because you paid a crapload of money for your swap, doesn't mean anything. Lack of money can be a great motivator to to make things work. I did mine swap for $1600 CDN with a FHN gearbox bought locally and that included the tune. If I had a donor V6 manual Passat, I would have used that and did it for way less than $1600.
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 15:05   #22
50mpgtdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by imo000 View Post
Mine is a single mass clutch kit from a 1.8T and is holding just fine with a 1.5 tune. The dual mass 1.8t flywheel was another story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imo000 View Post
Not really. Just because you paid a crapload of money for your swap, doesn't mean anything. Lack of money can be a great motivator to to make things work. I did mine swap for $1600 CDN with a FHN gearbox bought locally and that included the tune. If I had a donor V6 manual Passat, I would have used that and did it for way less than $1600.
Thank you, my fine sir! Finally something positive from someone who supports the grassroots community! Strict budget is one of the best motivators for innovation! My 2000 s10 is a perfect example of such. Sure, it's not much to look at on the outside, but its function is very high. I compete in autocross against cars that are 10s of thousands to be bought and have thousands of dollars worth of work into them, and I beat many of them with my sub $3k truck....because I know how to stretch a dollar as far as it will go.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/pr...ss-s10-765866/
Old July 19th, 2017, 10:14   #23
50mpgtdi

I am finally getting some time to work on the Passat. I work 75+ hours a week between two jobs right now, so time is a very hot commodity for me. Haha! I was able to get the front end removed and got the timing covers off last week on the one free night I had. I am planning on being able to work on it Friday night, and all day Saturday and Sunday. If all goes well, I'm hoping to have it back on the ground and ready to rip by end of day Sunday.
Old July 19th, 2017, 10:20   #24
50mpgtdi

Also, does anyone know where I can find the gear ratios for the DVZ transmission? I want to have the correct info when I go to get the tune done.
Old July 19th, 2017, 11:27   #25
blazen71
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36.6mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50mpgtdi View Post
Also, does anyone know where I can find the gear ratios for the DVZ transmission? I want to have the correct info when I go to get the tune done.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=28
Old July 20th, 2017, 09:38   #26
50mpgtdi

Thank you very much!
Old July 20th, 2017, 21:04   #27
blazen71
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36.6mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50mpgtdi View Post
Thank you very much!
Also, if you need tools and parts see link:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...28&postcount=1
Old July 26th, 2017, 11:38   #28
50mpgtdi

Well, my weekend didn't go as planned. We had some wicked storms here and I spent most of Saturday cleaning up a fallen tree at my house. I did get some time to work on the car though. I got everything removed from the donor car and got the subframe and transmission removed as well as the balance shaft removed and new oil pump installed. The new goal now is to complete this weekend. Hopefully all goes well! The speculation is that the shifting problems the car was having were because of a leaky sunroof letting water in and drowning the TCM. That being said, I found out when I pulled the trans, that it already has a remanufactured trans in it. If I can find a shop to run it on a transmission dyno and verify that it is in good condition, it should be worth a bit of money to sell, shouldn't it?
Old August 9th, 2017, 14:47   #29
50mpgtdi

Well, the last two weeks have provided enough time for me to get the swap completed! First impressions are this....vibration at idle is slightly more than stock with the BSM delete and the light weight single mass flywheel, but same as stock once off idle. Taking off with the light clutch requires a little bit more fineness, but is very manageable and works very well. I currently have not done any tuning, for the trans swap or the engine but it works surprisingly well the way that it is. ABS and traction control lights are on as expected, but not as expected, the cruise control actually works properly and there are no extra warnings in the information center of the dash. Also as we all already knew, the gearing is not ideal, but it is ok for now considering the type of driving I do. at 75 mph on the highway it is running right at 3000rpm. So far I am very happy with how things have turned out. I will be taking it on a longer trip this weekend, should be around 400 miles. I'll report back after that to let everyone know how it goes! If anyone has any questions for me at all, feel free to send me a PM or ask away here on the thread.
Old August 9th, 2017, 15:07   #30
vwztips
Veteran Member

Yes cruise works. However, if you did not hook up the clutch cruise switch, the engine will take off if when rising cruise you push in the clutch pedal.
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote