www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old March 31st, 2017, 16:08   #16
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshwamie View Post
All I know, I bought this car with the rc already applied and it hauled ass. Just now is bogging.
That's a clue. The tune has clearly not changed, but the car is performing worse. Suggests the engine has developed a technical problem... one that a tune from someone else won't likely resolve.

If you lost a quart of oil you should probably track it down... and if it is in your intercooler you'd probably better drain it before the engine ingests it and bends a rod or two.

And, if it's in your intercooler it likely got there from the turbo seal on its way out.... which means the turbo is on borrowed time before it *really* lets go and bends a rod or two.
Vince Waldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 19:58   #17
jshwamie

Fuel Economy: 38 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Waldon View Post
That's a clue. The tune has clearly not changed, but the car is performing worse. Suggests the engine has developed a technical problem... one that a tune from someone else won't likely resolve.

If you lost a quart of oil you should probably track it down... and if it is in your intercooler you'd probably better drain it before the engine ingests it and bends a rod or two.

And, if it's in your intercooler it likely got there from the turbo seal on its way out.... which means the turbo is on borrowed time before it *really* lets go and bends a rod or two.
This is true. My problem is gaining access to a lift. That's what has been slowin me down. I should be able to get to the shop and check it out tomorrow. Ive been thinking about my car pulling a runaway on me too.. . I'll get back with the results of logging. Thanks for sticking with me all.
3 Dr 2000 Volkswagen Golf TDi. SMIC with 2.5 lower pipe. 11 mm pump & lift pump, Bosio Sprint 520 nozzles, Kerma TDi Long Runner manifold so no EGR, stock gt1749v turbo, stage 3 RC, VR6 Clutch, shifter work, 2.5 DP turbo back exhaust. Spec-D head lights, Bilstein shocks & springs sitting on 17's with aftermarket leather seats.
jshwamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 09:53   #18
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

Harbor Freight has ramps for about $30 or so. Plenty of space to slide under and work.
Old April 1st, 2017, 15:00   #19
jshwamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinski4 View Post
Well your clutch is slipping, that much is obvious. Without posting a Group 11 log of a 3rd gear pull there's not much else we can help you with.
Okay well I have some logs here. Looks like they are in excel format. What is the best way to share files? Not seeing an attachment file button or anything. I have logs for 001 003 004 008 & 011.
3 Dr 2000 Volkswagen Golf TDi. SMIC with 2.5 lower pipe. 11 mm pump & lift pump, Bosio Sprint 520 nozzles, Kerma TDi Long Runner manifold so no EGR, stock gt1749v turbo, stage 3 RC, VR6 Clutch, shifter work, 2.5 DP turbo back exhaust. Spec-D head lights, Bilstein shocks & springs sitting on 17's with aftermarket leather seats.
Old April 1st, 2017, 16:06   #20
jshwamie

I installed a vacuum gauge to the line that goes to the actuator on the turbo to see what the n75 valve is actually doing to the turbo and making sure it's working properly.
Here is a video of me driving. The pressure goes steadily below 5. Is this normal? I'm thinking not.

https://youtu.be/ILi9OGmOXtw
Old April 1st, 2017, 16:19   #21
jshwamie

Here is a pic of my 011 log.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old April 1st, 2017, 16:41   #22
Enabled
Veteran Member

19.5psi when requested is 17.7psi will shorten your turbo's life.
Make sure the actuator is adjusted correctly.
-BMW Z3 M Coupe (1 of 36)
-BMW 328d wagon (Self tuned ~230hp)
Enabled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 18:12   #23
jshwamie

Here are the others.

003 MAF

004 (this one came out weird. Might have to do another)

Old April 2nd, 2017, 19:30   #24
Kevinski4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Waldon View Post

While you are right on the first part, every ALH out there has a puddle of oil in the intercooler and it's not from the turbo. It's from the CCV. It collects at the lowest point and there's always some in there. Waaay too many people have replaced turbos for no reason. I'm running one of those turbos that someone was throwing away on one of my cars. I've put 60k miles on it since the previous owner replaced the turbo because of oil in the intercooler.
Kevinski4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2017, 19:54   #25
jshwamie

Quote:
While you are right on the first part, every ALH out there has a puddle of oil in the intercooler and it's not from the turbo. It's from the CCV. It collects at the lowest point and there's always some in there. Waaay too many people have replaced turbos for no reason. I'm running one of those turbos that someone was throwing away on one of my cars. I've put 60k miles on it since the previous owner replaced the turbo because of oil in the intercooler.
Yeah I at least know that much! Heh. I do think it's something mechanical at this point. Something is just off. I'm going to try taking off the stock air box and just let the pips vent open and drive on some pavement for a mile or so. See how it performs.

Does anyone know how to interpret those logs? I'm not sure really what I'm looking at as far as reading them and understanding what should be what, and when.

Old April 2nd, 2017, 20:58   #26
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Quote:
While you are right on the first part, every ALH out there has a puddle of oil in the intercooler and it's not from the turbo.
Just my opinion, but if someone loses 3/4 of a quart of oil in one week (per the OP's second post), and finds it sitting in their intercooler...well... my money's on it coming from the turbo, not the CCV. That would be awfully thick blowby.
Vince Waldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2017, 21:47   #27
jshwamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
19.5psi when requested is 17.7psi will shorten your turbo's life.
Make sure the actuator is adjusted correctly.
Thanks for the input. I will check this out. I know I have checked it and can see it went up and down a little, but haven't checked full motion. I took some pics, and there was a little oil between the exhaust and compressor housings. I'm thinking that shouldn't be there... Also the oil return line has oil on it.

Pic of oil return line.

Old April 3rd, 2017, 13:45   #28
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshwamie View Post
Yeah I at least know that much! Heh. I do think it's something mechanical at this point. Something is just off. I'm going to try taking off the stock air box and just let the pips vent open and drive on some pavement for a mile or so. See how it performs.
Does anyone know how to interpret those logs? I'm not sure really what I'm looking at as far as reading them and understanding what should be what, and when. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Your problem isn't with the airbox as long as there is no obstruction.
Did you swap the MAF yet?
Old April 3rd, 2017, 22:28   #29
swetbak
Veteran Member

If you've checked for oil in your intercooler I've missed it. If you haven't yet checked this off your list, just drill a small hole in the smallest point of the intercooler pipe and see what drips out. When done put a small screw in the hole to close it. You can periodically check for oil this way.
swetbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 13:10   #30
jshwamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swetbak View Post
If you've checked for oil in your intercooler I've missed it. If you haven't yet checked this off your list, just drill a small hole in the smallest point of the intercooler pipe and see what drips out. When done put a small screw in the hole to close it. You can periodically check for oil this way.
Thank you for the input. I checked for this, this past weekend. No significant pooling. So not sure where that oil went.. I'm guessing it burnt up I guess, because there are no significant leaks. I'm hoping someone can help me understand those logs and offer some insight.