www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old December 6th, 2016, 13:15   #31
PGM jetta
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 05 Jetta BEW

An extension will affect torque. Maybe not much at all with a 5" extension and only 25Nm but an extension will affect torque by allowing flex, more noticeably with higher torque
PGM jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2016, 13:33   #32
CRD4me
Veteran Member

Default Oil cooler seals replacement

Yes of course. You can even see the torsion effect when torquing passenger side drive shaft flange using a 30 inch extension through the wheel well. It is very hard to account for in such case. Part of the energy is absorb into deformation of the extension through torsion. That's why the higher the torque is, the stronger the material needs to be in order to transfer the energy to the fastening the device.
CRD4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2016, 07:26   #33
CRD4me
Veteran Member

Guys,
I'll spare you with the wording I used this morning when I saw a stain of oil on my driveway, beneath the car, coming from my oil cooler.
What's next...
Previous owner had install a 120v heater element in serie on one of the hose (cut) going to the oil cooler. I suspect weight of heater element and tension on the hose are responsible for the seal not to sit properly. I know this sounds like a very weak reflexion, but I'm out of ideas
Old January 15th, 2017, 14:27   #34
CRD4me
Veteran Member

Guys,
I'm still fighting with this.
Can anybody tell me what am I doing wrong ? Is it normal that the O-Ring is not matching the geometry of the cooler ? Something is weird here. Do I realy have to use the tabs on the cooler. When not using them things lines up quiet well :\
Best regards.
Old January 17th, 2017, 04:09   #35
UhOh
Veteran Member

That ain't right!

I'm thinking that things are symmetrical, but perhaps it's not so, and if that is the case I'd think that flopping the seal over (and or perhaps side-to-side) might allow it to set more correctly.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 05:10   #36
CRD4me
Veteran Member

What I noticed is that if I don't use the little ear on the oil cooler, the seal fits the geometry. I'm questioning if I should be using using those ears :s
What are they meant for actually?
Old January 17th, 2017, 05:31   #37
UhOh
Veteran Member

I think that they're primarily to hold the seal in place during assembly. I don't think that anything is going to move after it's installed, or really move while tightening it down. Might help to keep it from twisting (though, clearly, they're doing the opposite for you!).
Old January 22nd, 2017, 21:53   #38
CRD4me
Veteran Member

Right...
Tried two setups.
1. Seal fitted with the little tabs/ears on oil cooler.
2. Seal fitted without the help of the little tabs/ears.

In my case, with option 1 it didn't take 2 minutes after startup that I could see oil creaping out from the side of the flange.

Option 2. So far no leak, but it was chalenging to put in place. I had to hold the cooler from spining while tightening. So far after roughly 50-75km no leak. Weather is warm. Hopefully I'll get no bad surprise when it gets colder...ughh :\

What a crapy design no ? I keep poping the hood everytime I start the car to see if it leaks. This is clearly a place for easy failure, followed by expensive repairs

Aren't you guys scared that this fails while driving on the highway? I know I am :s
Old January 22nd, 2017, 22:49   #39
UhOh
Veteran Member

Great news!

I suspect that the cooler or the seals are a bit off spec. I ran into an AC drier that was almost impossible to install because I think it was off spec: I ended up grinding part of the plastic radiator support in order to allow the lower line to attach. Really sucks when this happens. I'd like to think that only buying directly from VAG is the way to reduce such things, but just not sure.

Life is nothing but one big buffet of risk. Lots of far scarier things to worry about You're good to go.
Old February 13th, 2017, 20:41   #40
CRD4me
Veteran Member

Still no leaks guys!
1000km later
Old February 17th, 2017, 15:12   #41
Schoust
Veteran Member

My kids battling this same seal leak. This is why I insist on getting my parts early and getting them from VAG only. The slightest differances can be an issue... You save a few pennies but now have a supper fund!
Schoust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 18:26   #42
csstevej
Veteran Member

Yep.....mine just failed today too.
Can't complain to much....its been 16 years and 372,xxx miles later.
Old February 17th, 2017, 19:02   #43
CRD4me
Veteran Member

My lesson learned here, for some reason the oil cooler that I installed is a little off spec compared to the vw dealer one...not sure why. I was insistent in using the little hears to hold on the seal on the oil cooler, but everytime I used them I encountered a leak. It freaked me out...I'm always checking now.

Seals, though, can be bought in any good part supplier.

In my case I had to offset the ears from the tabs on oil cooler....and I'm not touching that bugger anymore!!
Old January 29th, 2018, 20:18   #44
Solamia

Fuel Economy: 47-49 mpg

Darn, I almost made it as long as you. Mine failed today, 365,000 miles.
Old March 11th, 2018, 19:07   #45
UhOh
Veteran Member

Wife's car's oil cooler started leaking again after about 60k miles since I'd last replaced the seals. Decided I wouldn't take the risk of trying to get seals to work again so I ordered a new cooler and seals (from IDParts). I found that the same distortions were at play here so I installed without using the ears. Ran for a while and didn't see any signs of leaks. I suppose time will tell...