www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old November 2nd, 2016, 09:08   #1
CRD4me
Veteran Member

Default Oil cooler seals replacement

I just been through the replacement of the seels on both sides of the oil cooler on a bew mk4 golf.

Torquing is indicated to be at 25Nm. I have lubded the seals...with oil...thought it's an oil cooler.

Is it normal that the cooler still feels loose when trying to rotate it side ways after beeing torqued ?

On the bottom cap it says 25Nm + 5.
+5 what ???
CRD4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2016, 10:01   #2
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Book says 25Nm or 17'#. That's for my ALH, but pretty sure it hasn't changed.
A light torque for such a big nut
Just tighten it up a tad more.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2016, 10:45   #3
CRD4me
Veteran Member

Yeah, that's what I thought also. The true moment will be once I start the engine haha
Old November 2nd, 2016, 10:48   #4
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Yea, check when you start it up for leaks, check again after you've run it a couple days. Once that thin layer of oil on the big flat o-rings gets hot, it can be pretty sticky.
Old November 2nd, 2016, 19:00   #5
Corsair
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/48/??

I benefitted from a different recent thread (that I can't find now, sorry)- I changed these seals on my 02 Jetta about 9 months ago. Ended up doing it twice because I over-torqued the bolt on first try. These are known for leaking if too much torque is applied (at least, that's what the other thread indicated, and my experience agrees).
2004 Jetta GL wagon 2.0L (gas) 5-spd (sold)
[also had 03 TDI GLS 5spd wagon bought new, sorely missed]
Corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2016, 11:19   #6
CRD4me
Veteran Member

Thanks mate.
I kept it to 25Nm plus a tiny tiny little tab of torque. It felt so loose on the oil cooler so I just wanted to be sure. I'll report back once I'm done. There are a few other things that nees to be done on the car.
Old November 5th, 2016, 19:36   #7
UhOh
Veteran Member

Keep in mind what Corsair said there. While YOU (us here) might not over-torque it it doesn't mean that it hasn't already suffered from over-torquing. You can damage the cooler by over-torquing. That yours spins when properly torqued might suggest that it's been over-torqued in the past and that the bolt is bottoming out due to the cooler being deformed.

Seems that apes with wrenches are attracted to these cars...
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2016, 20:44   #8
CRD4me
Veteran Member

Well the cooler is new, so are the seals...not sure what is going on here. It drops 1 drop per 10 sec at idle. Could the leak stop once the seals cure with the heat?
The bolt seems to be bottoming out at 25Nm ...
Old November 10th, 2016, 07:59   #9
CRD4me
Veteran Member

I'll take it out tonight.
I feel that this should be hand tighten and foget the 25N.m ...like a conventional oil filter can.
Old November 10th, 2016, 08:49   #10
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Might of misled you, there is no cure.
Just so it's good and clean, those big gaskets rings will seal it up. Don't put anything but a little oil on the rubber, just to make it nice and pliable. If any of the nice flat surfaces are distorted, you'll have trouble.
Old November 10th, 2016, 10:05   #11
UhOh
Veteran Member

New cooler... who is the manufacturer?

As BobnOH mentioned, just a little oil on the seals. Make sure the mating surface on the engine side is good and clean (and dry).

Might want to check to see how that "bolt" thread into the engine side w/o the cooler. Check to see where it bottoms out at (and if it threads cleanly). I haven't heard of these being a problem (but I'm not exactly a warehouse of knowledge on these things).
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2016, 07:31   #12
CRD4me
Veteran Member

Default Oil cooler seals replacement

Guys,
Sorry for the panic here.
Lesson learned on my side.
When you suspect a leak of any kind in that area, make sure you dive under the car.
It ended up, in my case anyways, to be one of the coolant hose not beeing tight enough, hence the drops I was seeing from the top. I do find it strange though, I thought it was tight enough in the begining (got worm clamp in that area and not spring loaded colar band).
I'll keep monitoring this though. I hate worm clamps for this. Spring loaded clamps are self adjusting and would have avoided that surprise. Always go with spring loaded clamp according to me.
Thanks alot for your help.
Old November 21st, 2016, 21:35   #13
CRD4me
Veteran Member

This is realy getting anoying
In no way that with only 25Nm I wont have a leak. I'm on BEW, so I'm not sure if my system is different. I don't have a nut holding the oil cooler to the filter assembly. All I have is the lower flange cap with a screw fitted into it to make pressure on both top and bottom seal. At 25 Nm there is still room to tight this. Not so sure what the real torque spec it is for my system :\
Old November 23rd, 2016, 11:00   #14
wonneber
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD4me View Post
This is realy getting anoying
In no way that with only 25Nm I wont have a leak. I'm on BEW, so I'm not sure if my system is different. I don't have a nut holding the oil cooler to the filter assembly. All I have is the lower flange cap with a screw fitted into it to make pressure on both top and bottom seal. At 25 Nm there is still room to tight this. Not so sure what the real torque spec it is for my system :\
If your saying there is a gap at that torque spec there's something wrong. Are the threads clean inside & out?
Any scratches on the flat surface?
Is the leak worse now then before?
Hair line crack maybe?
There is a florescent dye that can help tracking a leak.
I didn't see where you replaced anything other then the O-rings?

Rich W.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2016, 12:13   #15
CRD4me
Veteran Member

Yes I replaced the oil cooler since it was leaking coolant. I've clean the flange mating surface as much as possible. Yesterday I brought the car to a local repair shop as I dont have time to deal with a such anoying problem. The shop will probably put some RTV seal on the flange and call it a day...it wont leak and I'll be ok with that. This is just ridiculous
:\ (sorry, but understand my frustration)
I dont see what could be wrong with the thread. This was never removed before