www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old January 29th, 2014, 19:03   #1
intertan
Veteran Member

Default costco batteries

any body use the costco battery?
730cca on the battery
intertan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 19:27   #2
curtludwig
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: '98 - 47-53mpg, '05 - 44-48mpg

Almost certainly made by Johnson Controls as are like 90% of all the batteries in North America.
I'd guess that battery to be an H6 which will work, maybe, except in the very cold. An H8 gets you 800cca, Autozone's website says for an extra $18. My local Car Quest beat Autozone by $50 for an H7.

I've got an MkIII Jetta and an H8 (the old Group 49) battery will just barely fit, its 900cca. I don't know if that'll fit your MkIV but if it does I'd get it considering you live in the frozen north you can use all the power you can get. In lead acid batteries nothing trumps size and weight for capacity and in the real cold nothing beats capacity for getting your car started. This is not a place to skimp, you don't want to be in the dead of night when you absolutely have to get somewhere and have the car not start.
Old January 30th, 2014, 10:21   #3
T_D_I_POWER
Veteran Member

The Ah battery weakness vs the CCA battery strength in cold weather.

So get the battery with highest CCA you can fit under the hood.

1st TO USE Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...56&postcount=9
1st TO PREFILL OFH/OFI INSTL W/ OIL IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...02&postcount=5
1st TO PREFIL FF W/ DIESEL FUEL IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=14

T_D_I_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 11:01   #4
3turboz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37/42/48

Costco here sells Interstate, probably the best quality out there.

Good advice given on other posts considering your location. My ALH golf is fine with 700 CCA, but it rarely dips below freezing here. A wider battery would easily fit FWIW.
Old January 30th, 2014, 11:19   #5
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Along with CCA, a VERY important factor is reserve capacity (since Ah ratings seem to be nearly impossible to get). I'd go for 150 rc at a minimum.

Think of it this way: CCA tells you how much oomph is available in the cold. Ah or RC will tell you how long it will be available. If your battery is marginal, then the CCA will fade quickly - during the glow plug warm up - leaving you without sufficient amps to start the engine.

A 94R battery case will fit in the '03 Jetta, and it probably will get you more battery capacity as well. So what if it lops a little outside the official footprint - like the above posters have said, the more battery the better.

If you have a Sam's nearby (yuk - I hate recommending that company for anything, but it is the best battery and deal I found) check out the 49 (H8) batteries under the Duracell name (made by EastPenn, a very good battery company). H8 fits nicely in the Golf/Jetta chassis and you can select enough amps to fulfill your needs.

Last edited by Powder Hound; February 11th, 2014 at 07:13.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote