www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub


Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2013

TDIFest 2013 Discussion about TDIFest 2013 on the Labour Day weekend (August 30th to September 1st, 2013) in Sunday River, near Bethel, Maine. Latest information in the TDIFest wiki.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 9th, 2012, 09:54   #16
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast
 
VeeDubTDI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Springfield, VA
Default

Vegas is indeed a great road trip! I went through there after the 2001 TDIFest in Park City, UT.
__________________
TDIClub Chat: irc.freenode.net ##tdiclub
EV Chat: irc.freenode.net ##ev
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 11:31   #17
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member
 
JSWTDI09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
Vegas is indeed a great road trip! I went through there after the 2001 TDIFest in Park City, UT.
Another great roadtrip would be to have the TDIFest in Flagstaff, AZ. We could do a big cruise to the Grand Canyon. It is only about an hour drive from Flagstaff. Do we have any members here from the Flagstaff area who can do some "hotel shopping"?

I also know we have a lot of members in Southern California. San Diego could also be very nice. If we did it in the LA area, Robert (Fixmy59bug) might be able to get his dealership to act as a sponsor. The biggest problem with Vegas for the fest is that in the first week of September, it could easily be over 100 degrees F. during the day. It's a dry heat, but it's still hot.

Have Fun!

Don
__________________
2009 Jetta SportWagen TDI (gone but not forgotten)
2018 VW Tiguan SE (I wish it was a TDI)
JSWTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 11:50   #18
loganbmx4gt
Veteran Member
 
loganbmx4gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Jackson, TN
Default

I would be willing to help out on a commitee if some others wanted to look into a proposal for a Memphis or Nashville TDIFest.
__________________

loganbmx4gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 09:48   #19
deegingerkid
Beware the Ginger! Vendor
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The Left Coast
Fuel Economy: 38-44 depending on lead-footed-ness and highway/city proportion
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganbmx4gt View Post
I would be willing to help out on a commitee if some others wanted to look into a proposal for a Memphis or Nashville TDIFest.
While that would be fun, Memphis and/or Nashville would be almost too hot too...and a different hot from Vegas..the dank, sweaty kind of hot.

But Logan, if yould could make it work, I see that possibly being a ton of fun.
__________________
Ohio to California transplant and loving it!
2k Beetle, Batik Blue, 5sp., Stage 3 TDtune, front knuckle upgrade (from 1.8T), Seat Cupra R rear axle bushings (I rather like tasteful and discreet upgrades)
I'm a ginger. You've been warned.
deegingerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 10:27   #20
mrvermin
Veteran Member
 
mrvermin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: GTA
Default

Where ever it is, I'll drive there

MrVermin
__________________
NEW: 2011 Golf Sportwagen Highline, Navi, DSG, Pano-Roof
OLD: 2001 Jetta TDI: 6speed ERF swap, Fully Built Block & Head, RC Tuned, Race520's,
Colt Stage2 Cam, PD150 Intake, PD150 RacePipe, VNT17/22, OMI, 3" Full Exhaust, 3BAR MAP, 11mm IP, Defender Skidplate, 17" Ariettas, GLI Suspension, Audi TT LCA Bushings,


mrvermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 10:50   #21
loganbmx4gt
Veteran Member
 
loganbmx4gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Jackson, TN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegingerkid View Post
While that would be fun, Memphis and/or Nashville would be almost too hot too...and a different hot from Vegas..the dank, sweaty kind of hot.

But Logan, if yould could make it work, I see that possibly being a ton of fun.
True. And I am pretty sure this is the reason why there has been no TDIFest in the South East or South Central area. Yea it's a dirty swamp sock hot.

It wouldn't bother me, but this is because I deal with it every year too. This weekend its not going to be bad really, 85 & 88 for highs with 58 & 62 for lows. For some this may still be lol, but a major "cool" down for us though.
__________________

loganbmx4gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 11:11   #22
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast
 
VeeDubTDI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Springfield, VA
Default

We've looked into the smokey mountain area and just about everywhere in TN and nothing is really conducive due to the high tourism at that time of year. Hotels seem to be booked a year or two in advance, the ones that have space available aren't laid out very well for TDIFest. We've probably spent over 100 hours collectively looking into that region and it's basically a no go. It's a shame because that would make an awesome Fest location.

Perhaps one of these years we can look into changing the Fest date to something other than Labor Day Weekend. There's nothing other than tradition preventing it from being at another time of year... keep that in mind when creating proposals. I will say that a 3-day weekend is the best for this sort of thing.
__________________
TDIClub Chat: irc.freenode.net ##tdiclub
EV Chat: irc.freenode.net ##ev
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 12:00   #23
loganbmx4gt
Veteran Member
 
loganbmx4gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Jackson, TN
Default

That part of the state would be HORRIBLE on Labor Day weekend. Coming further west to Nashville or Memphis we wouldn't have that problem. Just the possible heat issue.

Opryland hotel in Nashville is a hotel that comes to mind that it could be held at. And Nashville has a TON to do. I think keeping it Labor day weekend is best since its a long weekend and everybody knows when it will be. If your like me, UPS requires us to have our vacation scheduled for the next year turned in by December of the previous year, so knowing when it is every year helps.

On another note, I would like to see another fest in Canada or New England since I've never been to one in those parts and now I'm capable to make it.
__________________

loganbmx4gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 12:16   #24
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South of Boston
Fuel Economy: 50/45/37
Default

It's always on Labor Day weekend.
__________________
2002 Jetta wagon, 400K, RC3+; 1993 Mercedes-Benz 300D 2.5, 197K; 1997 Passat, 289K; '99.5 Golf, 260K; 2011 335d, 63K; 2015 Golf Sportwagen, 13K. Principal, http://www.idparts.com
Kid's cars: 2002 Golf TDI, 2002 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
IndigoBlueWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 12:40   #25
mrvermin
Veteran Member
 
mrvermin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: GTA
Default

Actually, it is Labour Day

Since it has its origins in the British Empire back in the 1860's

Kind of like

Pop = Soda
Chips = Fries
Chesterfield = Sofa/Couch

LOL

MrVermin

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
It's always on Labor Day weekend.
__________________
NEW: 2011 Golf Sportwagen Highline, Navi, DSG, Pano-Roof
OLD: 2001 Jetta TDI: 6speed ERF swap, Fully Built Block & Head, RC Tuned, Race520's,
Colt Stage2 Cam, PD150 Intake, PD150 RacePipe, VNT17/22, OMI, 3" Full Exhaust, 3BAR MAP, 11mm IP, Defender Skidplate, 17" Ariettas, GLI Suspension, Audi TT LCA Bushings,


mrvermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 13:21   #26
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast
 
VeeDubTDI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Springfield, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
It's always on Labor Day weekend.
Yes, but it doesn't have to be, according to Fred. *shrug*
__________________
TDIClub Chat: irc.freenode.net ##tdiclub
EV Chat: irc.freenode.net ##ev
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 13:24   #27
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast
 
VeeDubTDI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Springfield, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganbmx4gt View Post
That part of the state would be HORRIBLE on Labor Day weekend. Coming further west to Nashville or Memphis we wouldn't have that problem. Just the possible heat issue.

Opryland hotel in Nashville is a hotel that comes to mind that it could be held at. And Nashville has a TON to do. I think keeping it Labor day weekend is best since its a long weekend and everybody knows when it will be. If your like me, UPS requires us to have our vacation scheduled for the next year turned in by December of the previous year, so knowing when it is every year helps.

On another note, I would like to see another fest in Canada or New England since I've never been to one in those parts and now I'm capable to make it.
Locations in that area that we've explored and given up on...

Asheville, NC
Knoxville, TN
Chattanooga, TN
Townsend, TN
Pigeon Forge, TN

Not sure why we never explored Nashville, but I'm game for helping you do some research if you'd like.
__________________
TDIClub Chat: irc.freenode.net ##tdiclub
EV Chat: irc.freenode.net ##ev
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 14:02   #28
airwolf
Veteran Member
 
airwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cassopolis, MI
TDI(s): None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
Locations in that area that we've explored and given up on...

Asheville, NC
Knoxville, TN
Chattanooga, TN
Townsend, TN
Pigeon Forge, TN

Not sure why we never explored Nashville, but I'm game for helping you do some research if you'd like.
I think we did decide there was some potential in Asheville and even contacted a hotel or two. Don't ask me the name because it was near the same time we were working on Lisle, IL.
__________________
_-Airwolf-_

2014 F-150 AKA-Ruby

TDIFest2009 Organizer! | TDIFest2012 Organizer!
airwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 14:24   #29
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast
 
VeeDubTDI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Springfield, VA
Default

Oh yeah - Chicago suburb of Lisle is another strong contender in terms of hotel availability, pricing, fun things to do, parking, etc.
__________________
TDIClub Chat: irc.freenode.net ##tdiclub
EV Chat: irc.freenode.net ##ev
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 14:26   #30
WutGas?
Veteran Member
 
WutGas?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Oklahoma City
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
We've looked into the smokey mountain area and just about everywhere in TN and nothing is really conducive due to the high tourism at that time of year. Hotels seem to be booked a year or two in advance, the ones that have space available aren't laid out very well for TDIFest. We've probably spent over 100 hours collectively looking into that region and it's basically a no go. It's a shame because that would make an awesome Fest location.

Perhaps one of these years we can look into changing the Fest date to something other than Labor Day Weekend. There's nothing other than tradition preventing it from being at another time of year... keep that in mind when creating proposals. I will say that a 3-day weekend is the best for this sort of thing.
What about renting out a "lot" of cabins? I know we rented a cabin for a week out there and it slept 8. It was like 1000 bucks for the week. There were about 15-20 cabins on that mountain side. Some holding a few more.
__________________
WutGas? is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hankooks on 2013? Tfinn VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) 12 August 5th, 2012 19:37
2013 production LWAnthony VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) 9 June 17th, 2012 15:10
2013 Updates? Skymedic VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) 23 April 28th, 2012 13:59
2013 jsw dcc VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) 1 February 21st, 2012 12:58
When do we get a new TDI? 2013? Westro General VW Discussion 39 January 20th, 2012 09:51


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.17040 seconds with 11 queries
[Output: 138.76 Kb. compressed to 116.62 Kb. by saving 22.14 Kb. (15.96%)]