www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2012

TDIFest 2012 Discussion about TDIFest 2012 on the Labour Day weekend (August 31st to September 2nd, 2012) in Ypsilanti (Ypsi), Michigan.

Old June 27th, 2011, 17:27   #46
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

Guys, why don't we pick a town with a track? I'm all in favor of all-TDI track day at Sebring or something...

Though what might be more our speed is setting up a half-day autocross... we wouldn't need much more than a large parking lot, cones, etc. Perhaps we could enlist a more experienced (local to the GTG) SCCA group to help organize and provide equipment?

Dynos are fun and all... but wouldn't we like to be along for the ride?

Last edited by manual_tranny; June 27th, 2011 at 17:32.
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 17:43   #47
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Maybe near mid-Ohio. Or there are a few great smaller tracks in Michigan (Grattan and Gingerman are two I've been to) that would be great, and we might even be able to get enough people to use it for a day or half-day.
Old June 27th, 2011, 17:48   #48
manual_tranny

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

That would be awesome!!
Old June 28th, 2011, 19:50   #49
loganbmx4gt
Veteran Member

That sounds good! Mid-Ohio is a nice track and 45 minutes from the house. And a hop skip and a jump from Cumblowus (Columbus).

loganbmx4gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 20:32   #50
loganbmx4gt
Veteran Member

Just dawned on me, duh! My other home when I'm not in Memphis or Ohio. Nashville! Which has Nashville Speedway, and talking about a city with a TON to do!

Old June 30th, 2011, 18:48   #51
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 116 mpg(e), 36 mpg gas, 100 mpg combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Maybe near mid-Ohio. Or there are a few great smaller tracks in Michigan (Grattan and Gingerman are two I've been to) that would be great, and we might even be able to get enough people to use it for a day or half-day.
Utah 2001: Salt Lake City had an SCCA autocross as an optional event. ONE fest attendee participated.
Michigan 2002: Grattan was used in the Michigan fest as an optional event. THREE fest attendees went.
Toronto 2003: Mosport was used at the Toronto fest as an optional event. TWO fest attendees went.

These were events set-up, run, AND INSURED by others. There is no way that a group like TDIClub could afford the financial cost of even a half day event.
There's a reason why the 2004 Boston fest organizers chose to NOT have a driving competition event, and that was historically low turnout at prior events.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 04:35   #52
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I was thinking this, too. TDIs aren't exactly well matched with track events. I know I'm the exception. But coordinating it with an event that's already scheduled by another club might be fun, if it wasn't too difficult.
Old July 1st, 2011, 06:44   #53
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post

Before anyone gets too excited about renting a track for a day or half day. Somebody should check out prices to rent a track and to buy insurance.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:02   #54
manual_tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
Utah 2001: Salt Lake City had an SCCA autocross as an optional event. ONE fest attendee participated.
Michigan 2002: Grattan was used in the Michigan fest as an optional event. THREE fest attendees went.
Toronto 2003: Mosport was used at the Toronto fest as an optional event. TWO fest attendees went.

These were events set-up, run, AND INSURED by others. There is no way that a group like TDIClub could afford the financial cost of even a half day event.
There's a reason why the 2004 Boston fest organizers chose to NOT have a driving competition event, and that was historically low turnout at prior events.
How many members had highly modified cars in 2001-2003?

How much has the tdiclub fest grown since then?

I am not in favor of having the club organize and pay for something that only 1-3 members participate in. I realize your are being practical here, but when I've attended autocross it's typically $10-$20 to race around cones in a parking lot all day... not too expensive.

A track would be a luxury... but it is not necessarily out of the question. We would simply have to find a track day that has already been organized by a larger club who doesn't mind sharing. The Audi car club rents out tracks from time to time and will allow pretty much any car to get involved for a couple hundred bucks.

Last edited by manual_tranny; July 2nd, 2011 at 12:07.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 18:12   #55
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manual_tranny View Post
How many members had highly modified cars in 2001-2003?

How much has the tdiclub fest grown since then?
1: define 'highly'. Back then most of us were always looking for more. There were fewer (lower percentage) wiling to settle for what VW sold. Search for the video of Gary Miyakawa in his TDI 1/8 mile drag racing Uwe Ross in his VR6 back in 2000 to see what passed for modified TDI back then.
2: the pool of participants in Fred's is greater now, but the ratio of performance enthusiasts to those "good enough for me" members is less now.

I plead nolo contendere to that good enough charge.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Old July 2nd, 2011, 18:55   #56
loganbmx4gt
Veteran Member

We need a good location with a GREAT night scene, ie: Memphis or Nashville. My vote anyway. :-)

Old July 2nd, 2011, 21:35   #57
darkscout
Grammar Scout

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

It should be darted.
Take a map of the USA, throw a dart. Round to the nearest town with a big enough hotel.

I was staying at a hotel in Macomb, IL. Near middle of nowhere. Almost every hotel was booked for a rock collecting/paleontology "gathering". It was interesting to say the least.

Fest then dumps a ton of money into some local economy. (I'm sure Lexington wouldn't notice or not if there was a Fest). It's rural, somewhere 'new'.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 06:16   #58
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

TDI fest as the 'big fish' in a small town local economy...
Nearly every room booked by fest attendees...
Sort of like Lake Mills, Wisconsin?

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Old July 3rd, 2011, 11:12   #59
manual_tranny

Perhaps we should add a vote to the thread?
Old July 3rd, 2011, 20:19   #60
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

I vote that Manny arranges all the details for fest 2012.
All in favor?

Svante Arrhenius 1896