www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old August 20th, 2006, 16:35   #16
wandaz

Smile Leaking 96 Diesel Injection Pump (Jetta TD)

Runonbeer ,since I'm about to attempt to change o-rig seal in my IP your guide with pictures would be worth more than tousand words or $.
I'm waiting patiently.
Thanks so much
wandaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 14:01   #17
runonbeer
Maintenance EnthusiastVendor

Fuel Economy: amazing/excellent/still pretty good

To be honest I've got a lot of things ahead of the write up but I'll get too it as soon as I can. 5 cars this week plus fuel runs (and for some reason I'm reading like 3 different books right now )
runonbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 09:21   #18
tongsli
Veteran Member

I think there are enough parts to do the trick! The kit is for A3 and A4 pumps.

http://www.worldimpex.com/item_detail.html?sku=552404

RC 3.1,DG pipes,Bosio PP764, Forge SMIC,R32 airbox,FSI/OilLevelSensor,150PDTIP&MAF&Intake Manifold, Bilstein TCs,TT brakes,280mm rears,A3 strut bar,ESP,Folding Mirrors,Aero wipers,Headlight Washers,PDC,Bora Trunk switch,VR6 muffler,4-motion valance, OEM Skid Plate &HIDs,Custom Tails, Zender Spoiler,WE Power,heated Seats,RNS2,MFSW,Anti-dazzle mirror,FIS,IRU,DWA,2nd OBDII,OEM Auto Window,P3 vent gauge, Webasto Thermotop C heater
tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 11:23   #19
TurboDan
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

I would have liked to have had the pump rebuilt with vitton gaskets and seals but the turnaround time for a rebuild was just gonna be too long for me. I got lucky and Charley (kerma) just happened to get an 11mm pump in the day I called. Its in the car now. Had John at Eurojet install it. Im like a mile from him. So... Here's my question. After spending so much to replace the pump can I expect to be doing this on a regular basis with the crap fuel there putting out?
TurboDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 11:55   #20
corrado tdi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 43ish overall

I would look at the fuel changes (ULSD and/or Biodiesel) like a minor mid life crisis for your TDI if you believe in such things. My gut is that we will see a decent number of seeping pumps pop up in the next couple of years. I think everyone should prepare themselves mentally for the possibility of a mid-life pump seal change. Don't fear the seeper! (I do amuse myself sometimes...)

As far as leaks go, my personal opinion is that if you run a certain chemical past a rubber seal for a long time and then switch that chemical and/or shock it with super cold temps then it will lose it's adhesion to the mating surface and start leaking, especially if it is nearing the end of its service life anyway. These seals were never meant to last forever. It's nothing to fear and I don't think it will be anything other than possiblly one seal change in 200K.

This is only my opinion and I could be wrong...
Old August 25th, 2006, 13:57   #21
jollyGreenGiant
Veteran Member

The quantity adjuster and top seal are pretty easy as long as you have a VAG-COM and are mindfull about dirt and contaminates. I haven't done the dist. head seal yet but I would recommend that if the T-belt is anywhere near it's time, I would say just pull the pump and swap the o-ring with the pump vertical. Is this a safe assumption?
jollyGreenGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 16:21   #22
corrado tdi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 43ish overall

Vertical does make it easier though we're hoping to get the in-car procedure down in web form in the next coupla months.
Old August 30th, 2006, 20:30   #23
wrench hound

Just bought a 91 "ECO" diesel Jetta, 195,000mi, car was parked because of massive fuel leak, owner (a very perky blonde) was quoted $900. + labor for the repair...so she sold it for $300. I'm still a Peugeot diesel nut, sort of, and remembered this French site's procedure, illustrated, that is a godsend for resealing the VE pump, or trying to fit "spilled" components back in their respective positions. Check it out!

http://www.forum-auto.com/sqlforum/s...ujet293129.htm
wrench hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 20:48   #24
wrench hound

The above picture show is in French but Google does a nice job of translating it to English.
wrench hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 08:27   #25
MikeS_18
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench hound
Just bought a 91 "ECO" diesel Jetta, 195,000mi, car was parked because of massive fuel leak, owner (a very perky blonde) was quoted $900. + labor for the repair...so she sold it for $300. I'm still a Peugeot diesel nut, sort of, and remembered this French site's procedure, illustrated, that is a godsend for resealing the VE pump, or trying to fit "spilled" components back in their respective positions. Check it out!

http://www.forum-auto.com/sqlforum/s...ujet293129.htm

Darn. I thought you had a picture of the perky blond...

(C'mon, you guys were all thinking the same thing.)
MikeS_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 12:50   #26
golfstream
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55, 49, 45

Lito,

Thanks for the heads-up on the pump seal kit above. I've ordered one from Impex.

If you're monitoring this thread, do you or corradoTDI (or anyone else) know of a diagram(s) for location of/installation of the seals?

Thanks for any info.

Mel

Last edited by golfstream; September 1st, 2006 at 12:52.
golfstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 15:38   #27
gotchatdi

Fuel Economy: 46-56
Default Diagram

In the process of rebuilding ip waiting for seals. I found a diagram on the web that might help you http://www.zexel.com/distributor_pumps_ve_exp.htm
zexel is the company that makes bosch rebuild parts I hope this helps
gotchatdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 20:11   #28
golfstream
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55, 49, 45

Thanks gotcha... and good luck!

Mel
Old September 6th, 2006, 00:09   #29
Fortuna Wolf
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 mix

Wow, that's an amazing site (the french one).

What materials are the seals from impex made out of? If I got it I'd like it to be viton instead of buna-n, obviously.

If there were a how to on replacing the seals that leak externally I would be very grateful. Perhaps another video DVD?
2002 Jetta Sedan ALH-01M: 2 um Cat FF, Wingnut-3 CCV filter, polyurethane fuel lines, 5 brake light mod, Ventectomy, Polysiloxane vacuum tubing, Pioneer DEH-3800MP w/ KFC-1389ie, Panzer Plate, EGT+Boost+Oil Temp Gauges, Boost Valve, KERMA Line Pressure Mod, LED Lighting, HC-12a refrigerant, Optima 75/35 AGM, .187 nozzles, Hawk HPS pads.
Coming Soon: ESP retrofit, Custom Greasecar.

Wish List: Tow Bar, DSG or CVT transmission, or even a 5 speed manual. To hit 42+ mpg

Fortuna Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 16:43   #30
l_c
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/42
Default Leaks when cold-starting on ULSD

My problem of late has been when I use the ULSD for a couple of tank fills, and
have not filled using any Bio. The see-thru portion of the fuel intake line (between
filter and IP) is all air. While trying to crank, after a while the fuel dribbles down
an intercooler pipe shroud, onto the AC compressor, and down to the belly pan and
around it.

Once the car gets running for the day, it starts fine and runs fine until it has cooled
off for several hours or more. Vehicle is a 2002 Jetta TDI wagon, 103k miles.
When I put some (a few gallons) of B99 into the tank, splashed onto the existing
(ULSD) contents, the air no longer gets into the line and it starts and runs fine,
almost no bubbles are visible. I tried to take some pictures yesterday which were
lousy, then spray-cleaned the areas. Today I took some which were somewhat
better. Most areas were clean, for example all return lines and hoses, fuel cutoff
solenoid etc.

I'm a rookie about the FIP; does it look like my leak could be inside the distributor
head, and/or the seal between the head and the main pump housing? Thanks; Larry.

1. Distributor at right, main pump body is at top:

2. Distributor end of IFP ... fuel seems to have run down from the round plug at center,
around the lowest fuel output line:
l_c is offline   Reply With Quote