www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old November 19th, 2019, 10:41   #1
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.
Default Hyundai Veloster N with Performance Package

Interesting car. It has a limited slip similar to the one in VWs performance package. Also has adjustable everything : shocks, steering weight, throttle tip in, diff settings, stability control... from reviews I've read it's pretty neutral right out of the box and in normal setting it's stiffer than a Golf R in race mode. In race mode "controllable oversteer" seems to be a characteristic and that is a very good thing. Anyone on here own one? Driven one? Take one to the track?
Old November 19th, 2019, 10:55   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The previous versions are a pretty cheap car, not much substance. Essentially a swoopy version of the Kia Rio/Hyundai Accent that are difficult to get in and out of and have horrible rear and side outward vision. They did get (optional) more powerful engines, but I wouldn't call them especially great to drive to be honest. Some also got a DSG type automatic, which actually seems to work reasonably well.

Have not been in the new ones yet, not sure how much they changed. I think they all get IRS now, previously only the turbo models got it.

I used to like Hyundai/Kia stuff, but as of late their engines seem to have a fragile streak in them that makes them hit or miss durability wise. Despite recalls and warranty extensions, they do not cover them all. Shame because they generally are well put together and are reasonably equipped and priced, and with the ever cheapening of seemingly everything they do not feel much different than their Toyota or Honda peers. We actually have a 2016 Camry and a 2016 Optima here right now, and driving them back to back you'd never think the Kia was nearly $10k less MSRP.

I still feel like a Miata or S2000 would be more entertaining on the track.
Old November 19th, 2019, 11:17   #3
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

New N model with PP has been getting good reviews on it's driving dynamics and the interior is a fantastic drivers interior. I played with one at Road America where Hyundai had a big display. The seats, steering wheel, pedals and shifter are nearly perfect. You can tell Germans designed the thing. There are also a lot of additional, beautiful welds on the firewall and strut towers.
Old November 19th, 2019, 13:10   #4
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I'd much rather have a gti. The veloster looks like a boy racer hatch for guys who can't afford the type R civic, imo.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2019, 15:13   #5
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
I'd much rather have a gti. The veloster looks like a boy racer hatch for guys who can't afford the type R civic, imo.
Old November 20th, 2019, 11:41   #6
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

OK, so none of you have had a go in one. I will try to get a test drive and report back. As far as how it looks, I don't really like the looks either, but when I'm driving it I can't see the outside, so I don't really care. And like I said the steering wheel, pedals and shifter are perfect. The rest of the interior kinda reminds me of a MK1 or Mk2 GTI because it's simple and black. Hyundai's N division poached a group of BMW M engineers to tune the N cars and from what I've read it is not set up for the ultimate lap time like the Civic Type R, but rather it is designed to be tossable and fun.
Old November 20th, 2019, 18:30   #7
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Not that car but platform-related perhaps ... I had a current-generation Hyundai i30 as a rental in Australia for a few days, and found it to be pretty good. Current i30 = current Elantra GT and I think (not 100% sure) that's the same as a current Veloster underneath. Both the i30 and the Veloster now have an independent multi-link rear suspension, no more twist-beam. Obviously the i30 won't have the same spring and damping rates and it certainly didn't have the same engine ...

I'd be interested in your observations about the Veloster after a test-drive. Press reports seem to be positive.

There's supposed to be a N version of the Elantra GT (or i30 if you wish) in Canada but, sadly, it's only cosmetic.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote