215 55 r16

Kosa

TDI
2015 Golf TDi S
Hi y'all! I have a black 2015 Golf TDI S which I acquired a little over a month ago. It had 31900mi when I got it and it now has around 37500mi. The car had all services done prior to my acquisition and I am so far very happy with the car. I am now at the point where I think I need to get new tires as the front tires are just about worn. As the thread title says, I am thinking of getting something that is a bit wider than stock, 215/55 R16 to be exact. My question(s) is/are: will I encounter any problem(s) with this? What changes should I expect in terms of ride quality, fuel efficiency, etc. I do not expect any fitment issues as I have read people using way more bigger tires. The only reason I am doing this is cosmetics. I am hoping with the wider tires, the car will look a bit more sporty(?). Thanks all for your ideas.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I would guess no fitment issues, and negligible changes in the other categories as well. The new size would be .4 inches both wider and taller according to this comparison chart when you punch in the numbers.
https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Kosa

TDI
2015 Golf TDi S
Thank you!

Thank you ProfBrown! That link was really helpful. I am now looking at, and will probably get, the Pirelli Cinturato Strada All Season in 215/55 R16 if I don't find any other tire that is a better deal. Anybody has any experience with this Pirelli Cinturato?

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I am running Continental Control Contact Sport A/S I believe on my wagon and have no complaints. Seem to be wearing nicely, staying balanced throughout the rotation/balancing interval and weren’t budget breakers either. Decent warranty too. I know others for the GSW also prefer the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus. Depending on how these Continentals finish out their life will decide if I go with the Michelin’s next, currently, plan I on staying with the continentals. I have about 25k on em I believe. Have a rotation and balance schedules for this Saturday. Ok schedule to do 30k this year in the car. Had to replace the cheapie Nexen the dealer put on due to a side wall bubble after hitting some light road debris. Never buying a Nexen again after how all the sales guys laughed at the brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk