Rear Passenger Hard Brake Line Replacement?

erasedhammer

TDI
1996 Passat
The metal brake line going across from drivers side rear to passenger side rear is rusted and is leaking fluid from a particularly bad section of it.
I cant seem to find a replacement for that section, anyone know where I can get one? or a part number?

Couldn't find any diagrams online, hopefully someone here knows what I'm talking about.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Give the guys at IDParts a call tomorrow....I’m sure they can help.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
If it's just a hard metal line you should be able to get one close to the same length from your local autoparts and bend to fit.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is the same size brake line Volkswagen has been using since before most of us were born. It still carries an early Beetle part number prefix: 111-611-998. They do not sell it pre-made, unfortunately.

The unions are 1J0-611-731 (these HAVE been updated since the '50s).

The line size it says is 4.75 x .07.

You'll have to get the proper flaring tool to make the ends to fit, and these are not all the same so you'll need to make sure to compare it to what you take off.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I think the thread size is 10mm X 1. You're probably not going to find it at every auto parts store. I know the NAPA I deal with has it.

erasedhammer

TDI
1996 Passat
I think the thread size is 10mm X 1. You're probably not going to find it at every auto parts store. I know the NAPA I deal with has it.
Looks like napa only has 12" lengths... but autozone has some actually. longest is 61" with the proper m10x1 bubble flare end.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I would upgrade from steel lines and go to the copper coating or stainless. Each all have drawbacks. But I would prefer one that wont rust out.

erasedhammer

TDI
1996 Passat
I would upgrade from steel lines and go to the copper coating or stainless. Each all have drawbacks. But I would prefer one that wont rust out.
I've heard good things about poly armor steel lines, they seem to resist rust better than other brake lines.

erasedhammer

TDI
1996 Passat
Looks like I have run into a big problem. I took out the old line and measured it, 59". Ive tried autozone, orielly, napa, google... its not in stock anywhere and you CANT order it from anywhere. Autozone had an error in their system that showed it as "1 in stock" at every store in the US, but they actually dont have any in stock and you cant order it because no one has it.

60" 3/16" brake line bubble flare m10x1. It does not exist anywhere.... can anyone find this stuff?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
What part of MD you at? I'm relatively close to frederick. Might be able to lend a hand

erasedhammer

TDI
1996 Passat
LMAO.... OK, sorry we couldn't help you.
Good luck.
I don't know VW, so I wasn't sure if there were any other places to find complete brake lines.
Keep in mind my Passat is a POS, bought it for dirt cheap and going to try and put minimal amount into it.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
They have that 111-611-998 at 1stVWParts.com for like $12, but I can't verify that's it. You have lots of options, parts stores carry various lengths, you can bend it or get someone to bend it for you, you might find a usable piece at a salvage yard. With the part in hand you might find a good parts store even a shop that can make one up for you.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
8 bucks isn't even going to buy a wiper blade lol, let alone your brake job. I'd plan for about $110 to do the job you need and not risk death or damage to you or others on the road or property.
You need to fix the bad line, probably all of them, seeing as rust has done its job and it was probably from the inside out. The kit I linked will do the entire car.
Do a flush twice and possibly rebuilding a caliper or 2 depending on how bad the fluid was/is and how bad the pistons are pitted.
If it was me, if replace all the lines under the car, pull apart the calipers front and rear and put new seals and boots on them and flush. Seals cost about 15 bucks for all, it's not difficult to do, some 300 grit sand paper, dot4 brake fluid and some brake clean, and the kit I linked. Brake fluid is only good for 2 years at best before the water content becomes high enough to start oxidizing internals.
Put a board under the brake pedal so it cant travel 100% otherwise you will kill the master as it has some crust down low and never travels that far.
There are some good diys here on this. All in all, $110 bucks ish and a weekend. Dont cut corners or you will be, not by choise when your brakes fail around the next corner.

Last edited:

erasedhammer

TDI
1996 Passat
8 bucks isn't even going to buy a wiper blade lol, let alone your brake job. I'd plan for about $110 to do the job you need and not risk death or damage to you or others on the road or property.
You need to fix the bad line, probably all of them, seeing as rust has done its job and it was probably from the inside out. The kit I linked will do the entire car.
Do a flush twice and possibly rebuilding a caliper or 2 depending on how bad the fluid was/is and how bad the pistons are pitted.
If it was me, if replace all the lines under the car, pull apart the calipers front and rear and put new seals and boots on them and flush. Seals cost about 15 bucks for all, it's not difficult to do, some 300 grit sand paper, dot4 brake fluid and some brake clean, and the kit I linked. Brake fluid is only good for 2 years at best before the water content becomes high enough to start oxidizing internals.
Put a board under the brake pedal so it cant travel 100% otherwise you will kill the master as it has some crust down low and never travels that far.
There are some good diys here on this. All in all, $110 bucks ish and a weekend. Dont cut corners or you will be, not by choise when your brakes fail around the next corner.
$8 would have bought a brand new brake.
I don't have a problem doing the work here, money is the only issue. At some point I do have to call it and sell it to a junk yard for scrap price before I loose too much into it.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Shame. Must be one huge turd of a car.
Again, what part of md are you in? If your interested in selling or fixing, I could possibly help with either lol.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
You can get the lines and fittings from NAPA or your local auto parts store, it's nothing special other than metric. You will need a bubble flare kit but the new brake lines are VERY easy to work with and bend by hand (no tools needed), rot resistant, and pretty cheap when you think about it. I bought a 50' roll and have used it on 3 cars now. You can borrow the flaring kit from most auto parts stores as well.

I had to replace everything on the end of the sedan not long ago, to include the proportioning valve. I was dreading the job but it was pretty easy.

Last edited:

erasedhammer

TDI
1996 Passat
Shame. Must be one huge turd of a car.
Again, what part of md are you in? If your interested in selling or fixing, I could possibly help with either lol.
I pulled the old brake line out, but it actually fell apart into about 10 pieces, and it broke off by the caliper side fitting.
Just tried taking off that fitting today, and it rounded it off...

Not sure how to take that entire flexible line off the brackets down there, but even if I did the secondary hard line going to the caliper already has screwed up rounded fittings on it.

Before the wrench screwed up the broken fitting, it felt real tight, even after being soaked with wd40, that thing is ON there.

The rear right caliper was dragging before, and now no fluid going to it at all and it is still dragging. Caliper is shot too?
This VW is making me hemorrhage money.

Last edited: