www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old March 11th, 2018, 19:18   #46
CRD4me
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
Wife's car's oil cooler started leaking again after about 60k miles since I'd last replaced the seals. Decided I wouldn't take the risk of trying to get seals to work again so I ordered a new cooler and seals (from IDParts). I found that the same distortions were at play here so I installed without using the ears. Ran for a while and didn't see any signs of leaks. I suppose time will tell...

Rest assure my freind, I think you should be fine.

I’ve been through so much with this cooler seal thing. Thank god I’ve sorted out!

In my case I had to replace the oil filter assembly...seems like previous maintenance wad done by an ape with tools. On the flange I was seeing marking and scuffing. So I changed tge assembly.
Even after that I had a leak at the cooler seal ...again! The seal ring with ears is a strange desing. I decided to try it without the ears. So I finaly got a no leak! More then a year later and still no leak
Each time I used the ears I was experiencing a leak and even one time the ears got teared out. Maybe its the oil cooler that is not from a VW dealer itself, I dont know, but in my case it worked well for me without using the ears.
CRD4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 01:18   #47
UhOh
Veteran Member

I'm thinking that vendors should look to address this issue. Cooler and seals I pulled off didn't have an issue with alignment: not sure why it leaked, perhaps loosened up? Anyway, aftermarket seals AND aftermarket coolers might be the issue. Ears are only(?) to help keep the seal from moving during install; if one holds the cooler so that it doesn't move when tightening down then it'll likely be fine.

It's not a real tough job, but because it's so messy it's something that one wants to only have to do once.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 05:55   #48
CRD4me
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhOh View Post

It's not a real tough job, but because it's so messy it's something that one wants to only have to do once.

...but it kinda suck loosing precious oil everytime we have to open it up. I calculated almost half a quart each time. For those attempting this (replacing seal and cooler at the same time) I’d recommend to try with the ear first. Monitor for leaks. If leaking, install seal without using the ears.
Old March 12th, 2018, 06:26   #49
UhOh
Veteran Member

My installs took place when I had an oil change scheduled. Of course, if your install goes bad (likely only shortly after you do it) then, yes, dumping a bunch of good oil sucks.

If the seal isn't uniformly round with the ears engaged then I'd suggest not even trying to test to see if one gets leaks, just go straight to installing w/o engaging the ears; BUT, you have to make sure the cooler doesn't move around when you tighten it down.

Messy is when you change the cooler, as you have to futz around with reattaching the coolant hoses (clamps!). Oil on everything makes it like wrestling with a greased pig!
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2019, 08:04   #50
Gothmolly
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf

Bumping thread. Can this be done in a driveway without a lift?
!Vent, !DRL, 5 brake light mod, 11mm pump, RC3, Bosio Sprint 520s, VR6/G60 clutch, dead AC, leaking oil cooler, missing belly pan, leaky CCV, leaky valve cover, leaking door seals, broken glovebox, broken horn, rusted fender, dead rear windowwasher, frozen axle bushings
Dead radio? Pull fuse 42, wait 60 seconds.
Gothmolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2019, 12:24   #51
CRD4me
Veteran Member

On ramps, yes.
Flat on the floor, no.