www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old November 15th, 2019, 05:28   #1
pearing

Default Will long idle times hurt my tdi?

Bought a 2015 tdi this summer. Now that winter has showed up I have a question about idling... my wife likes to sit by the lake (frozen) and read with the car running while my daughters are at swim team practice-like 2 hours or so. Will this damage the diesel engine in any way??? (I go to the pub when I take them, which seems more practical) Any advise welcome.

Thanks in advance

Pat
pearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 05:33   #2
ranger pete
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 JSW 6MT

Can't she find a place to go?

Home? Starbucks? McD's?

Will it kill your car? Maybe not, but it sure as hell won't do it any good.
ranger pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 05:38   #3
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

It's actually doing some damage and over time will lead to turbo failure. Emissions components dont like it either and can cause premature replacement. Other than that it's not healthy for a new engine to idle or run at a constant rate, but it's broken in so no need to worry about that bit. You do however need to factor that time idling into your service intervals. 2 hours is like 120 to 150 miles highway. If you do that every 5 days you need to do and oil change accordingly. For people who sit for an hour in traffic every day going to work vs a 30 minute drive actually need to do the same.
Point is, treat it as wear and account for it in your service
There are many threads about this. You dont need to open a new thread, go read some of the other ones, 5 pages on the last one. Do a search and get to reading.

Last edited by Mongler98; November 15th, 2019 at 05:41.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 06:48   #4
jmodge
Veteran Member

Go together, she can read in the warm pub while you get twice the pub time and the TDI gets a break, win, win, win.
Old November 15th, 2019, 07:35   #5
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

It is not good, no. Unfortunately, unlike many other modern diesels that are quite often tasked with commercial vocational work where extended idling is common, there is no "tactical idle" feature for that car. So a condition sometimes referred to as "wet stacking" (old term, but still applies) and it is not good for the engine, for the exhaust system, or for the emissions (environment).

It would be better to just shut the car off and go inside somewhere.
Old November 15th, 2019, 12:52   #6
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Yes, ask her to shut car off and go inside, it's always warm in the swim place.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 13:11   #7
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Get her one of these. Just be sure to crack a window:

portable propane heater
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 14:35   #8
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearing View Post
Bought a 2015 tdi this summer. Now that winter has showed up I have a question about idling... my wife likes to sit by the lake (frozen) and read with the car running while my daughters are at swim team practice-like 2 hours or so. Will this damage the diesel engine in any way??? (I go to the pub when I take them, which seems more practical) Any advise welcome.
Thanks in advance
Pat
it'll shorten the DPF life for sure.
ToxicDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 22:34   #9
vwexpress

Watching this closely, I'm an idler. I live in Florida, construction guy, eat in my car, everyday. I idle for about an hour a day, sometimes more, sometimes less, but it's going to happen. We do a lot of jobs in the middle of no where, and there is no way I'm not taking a break without the AC blasting.
vwexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2019, 04:35   #10
red16vdub
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 03 JSW 5spd
Default Will long idle times hurt my tdi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwexpress View Post
Watching this closely, I'm an idler. I live in Florida, construction guy, eat in my car, everyday. I idle for about an hour a day, sometimes more, sometimes less, but it's going to happen. We do a lot of jobs in the middle of no where, and there is no way I'm not taking a break without the AC blasting.

Iím also construction guy , I idle at least 2 hrs a day every morning. My Tdi is approaching 400k . You do what you gotta do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
17/56 turbo, RC ASV 5+ @ 28psi, 3 Bar Map, 11mm IP, PD Lift Pump, R520's, Rosten Rods, Arp Studs, Race Valve springs, McNally boost/egt, Euro FIS full Cluster, PD 150 Intake/racepipe, PD 150 plastic T.I.P + R32 maf air mods, Kerma 2.5" Fmic, Kerma 3" turbo back, SBC stage 3 Endurance, GLi brakes F/R , GLi axles, H&R Bilstein sports cup kit.

Last edited by red16vdub; November 16th, 2019 at 04:39.
red16vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2019, 05:57   #11
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwexpress View Post
Make sure you account for those lost miles on your service. I do the same on my daily gasser. I drive 1 hour each way for work about 50 miles each way. So I make sure to count that at 150 miles, not 100. By the end of the month it's an extra 1000 miles I put on in hours. Oil changes are 3 months apart, not 5 for me.
Old November 16th, 2019, 06:30   #12
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by red16vdub View Post
Iím also construction guy , I idle at least 2 hrs a day every morning. My Tdi is approaching 400k . You do what you gotta do.
Older TDIs are far more accepting of long idle times. I don't even like to drive my DPF equipped diesels on short trips: Tend to save them for longer drives. I use the older cars for daily and local driving.
Old November 16th, 2019, 08:41   #13
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Older TDIs are far more accepting of long idle times. I don't even like to drive my DPF equipped diesels on short trips: Tend to save them for longer drives. I use the older cars for daily and local driving.
while emissions wont suffer much and the engine will be fine, the turbo journal bearing will wear down some on its face due to the lack of pressure. i think this specific problem was only an issue with long idles on AHU, ALH and BEW engines and the like that use a journal bearing turbo.