www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old November 10th, 2019, 10:01   #1
mandrake slink

Default New Luk Clutch kit, pedal is on the floor now...

Hello, Everybody! I'm finishing up my clutch replacement from original VW to LUK 17-050 kit today. I just put the slave cylinder back into the top of the transmission and stuffed it in there, tightened the 2x 13mm bolts and jumped in the driver's seat to feel the new clutch pedal resistance. I push the pedal and there's really no resistance at all. It stays on the floor. When I pull it all the way back up, it will stay up, but if pushed on it will go down to the floor. There seems little or no resistance and it doesn't return. I took the panel off above the pedal and the clutch pedal spring and components look intact. When I take off the slave cylinder and push the end back in to the line with my hand it will go in and then comes back out as if contacting the clutch release lever like it should when installed. The brake pedal seems fine and returns. Is there something to consider when swapping to the LUK clutch kit I've missed? I'd really appreciate any links or advice to share about this. I've got a power bleeder ready if that's the problem. Thanks in advance.
mandrake slink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2019, 13:35   #2
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38mix / 47@70-75

I'm thinking the clutch release lever isn't situated correctly. It should be pushed back by the pressure plate. It should pivot on the ball, it could be bent also which is not good. https://www.idparts.com/clutch-relea...ed-p-1837.html

If it's not either on the ball, or the ball isn't whole then there could be issues.
Flushing the fluid may help, not sure. Did you replace the ball when you did the clutch?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, fill tube ectomy, soon to be Bosio DLC 1020's PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi
eddieleephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2019, 13:49   #3
mandrake slink

Yeah, new ball, new lever and clip, new bearing, pre-assembled clutch/flywheel/pp. I'm now thinking this is a clutch slave or master cylinder issue. Perhaps an o-ring finally gave out after moving around during the swap. I ran across a couple threads where hydraulics failed after replacing their clutch. I noticed if I move the slave cylinder rubber end in and out, I'm seeing a little brake fluid. Pretty sure that is bad, no?

Last edited by mandrake slink; November 10th, 2019 at 13:53.
Old November 10th, 2019, 13:53   #4
cfa5
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Great...

I'm assuming you bleed the system correct?
Old November 10th, 2019, 14:26   #5
mandrake slink

I hadn't opened the hydraulic system yet I thought. I unbolted the slave cylinder end from the bell housing area, covered it in some bags and stowed it up and away while replacing the clutch.
Old November 10th, 2019, 14:29   #6
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38mix / 47@70-75

Definitely try bleeding the line and flushing the old fluid out before trying anything else.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, fill tube ectomy, soon to be Bosio DLC 1020's PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi
eddieleephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2019, 15:29   #7
PakProtector
Veteran Member

I don't think you should see *ANY* brake fluid around the slave cylinder. When I helped my son with his car, we got it all buttoned up, and took a break for lunch and when we got back there was a wee puddle of brake juice that had run down from the failed slave cylinder. Another slave cylinder fixed that right up...and then we discovered other issues once we had it moving. None related to the clutch though...LOL
cheers,
Douglas

2004 Jetta, 5spd...stock and turning 47-48mpg
PakProtector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2019, 16:29   #8
mandrake slink

alright, i just ran to get some denatured alcohol to clean my power bleeder out. I'm going to attempt to bleed it when it stops raining. That should find any leak point. Thanks for the comments, will update.
Old November 15th, 2019, 15:24   #9
mandrake slink

A new slave cylinder and a quick power bleed later and the clutch pedal is back in position and working well. Nice engagement of the the release lever when you push down. I'm back in business. Thanks, all! Drive on!