www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old November 1st, 2019, 06:43   #16
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Yes

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WildChild80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2019, 10:08   #17
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Car fully warmed up and the hammer mod. I forget you can adjust it with vcds.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2019, 10:16   #18
mr.loops
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdijarhead View Post
Car fully warmed up and the hammer mod. I forget you can adjust it with vcds.

If you have a VCDS and can advance or retard the IP pulley, is the hammer mod even necessary?

The only time I can think of needing to do this ( hammer mod) is if your injection timing is waay out of spec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mr.loops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2019, 10:21   #19
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.loops View Post
If you have a VCDS and can advance or retard the IP pulley, is the hammer mod even necessary?

The only time I can think of needing to do this ( hammer mod) is if your injection timing is waay out of spec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hammer mod is for iq, the pulley is for timing

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WildChild80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2019, 10:23   #20
Nero Morg
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotuff View Post
I've already bypassed the thermostatic tee and have a filter mount for a standard spin-on filter. All the lines under the hood are new with the exception of the injector return hoses, which are next to be replaced.
Another culprit can be the o ring at the quick disconnect fittings next to the firewall. They dry up over time.
Old November 1st, 2019, 10:27   #21
turbotuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Morg View Post
Another culprit can be the o ring at the quick disconnect fittings next to the firewall. They dry up over time.
I thought about those along with the ones at the fuel sender. Know where I can get new o-rings?
turbotuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 02:56   #22
turbotuff

Slight update. I've changed glow plugs, tried some hot shots fuel additive, and still have the same issue.

My group 13 numbers seems decent
I'm seeing a slight fluctuation at idle but this is pretty close for the most part

1: -0.14
2: 0.28
3: -0.05
4: -0.09

Cylinder 2 is a little higher but I shut it off then fired it back up and cylinder 3 was closer to 2 and the values are lower.

Another thing I've noticed is that at hot idle sometimes idle will get a little rough for a few seconds and will drop to 880 and then it'll come back to 903. Only thing I've noticed is while it does this, IQ drops and then rises back up after it runs smoothly again. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. It'll just happen randomly at a stop light of something. And it's not very noticeable.

I'm at a loss! I will try bumping IQ but with my hot IQ being around 3.2ish, is that really too far off?
Old November 15th, 2019, 03:34   #23
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

No it’s not far off and some cars run fine at that number, but one size (value) doesn’t necessarily fit all. Try bumping it up a bit and see if there is any improvement. You can always return it back to its current value.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 11:06   #24
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Did a quick read of the whole thread, think we may have got side tracked. Seems you've ruled out fueling, glow plugs, injectors (unless they're just wore out). Since it's a newly acquired, I would check timing. Verify engine at TDC, cam slot aligned, IP pin close to hole. Then with VCDS, fine tune so it's in the window. Also with the VCDS check if any of the various temperature sensors are reading whack (check when cold, check when hot).
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 13:09   #25
turbotuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnOH View Post
Did a quick read of the whole thread, think we may have got side tracked. Seems you've ruled out fueling, glow plugs, injectors (unless they're just wore out). Since it's a newly acquired, I would check timing. Verify engine at TDC, cam slot aligned, IP pin close to hole. Then with VCDS, fine tune so it's in the window. Also with the VCDS check if any of the various temperature sensors are reading whack (check when cold, check when hot).
I've checked timing and temp sensors via VCDS and everything is right where it should be. I haven't checked mechanical timing as I don't have the specific tools.
Old November 15th, 2019, 13:51   #26
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

You can check it without tools, cam is a bit tricky, you have to remove vacuum pump to see align slot. Simply rotate to TDC mark on flywheel and check the other 2. Just don't try to change it without tools.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote