Stereo Upgrade - What Exactly Do I Need?

absalom

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I have a 2002 wagon with Monsoon (double DIN) and steering wheel controls.

I'd like:

- Single din
- Dash pocket
- Bluetooth
- Do NOT need to retain steering wheel controls (I never use them)

What exactly do I need to make this as plug and play as possible?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Crutchfield.com is one place to look. They should have one and provide the proper wires. When mine went out I tried to get an actual VW radio, big fail. Must be lots of sellers, just be sure to get the proper bits for the install. It may be simpler to just retain the steering wheel controls, make all the circuits happy.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Biggest issue you will have is making sure the monsoon amplifier actually turns off. With a radio change it often stays on.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Amazon is a great place too

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
You can find dash pockets and wiring adapters on Amazon. You'll need the harness adapter, plus the antenna adapter. Make sure the antenna adapter is powered, because these cars use amplified antennas.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Salvage yard would be a good place if you want the velvet lined pocket...or whatever it's lined with

You don't need a kit to put the radio in the dash, you use the metal sleeve that comes with the radio and fold the tabs over, but you'll need the antenna adapter and harness adapter.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
When I installed a Kenwood in mine I bought the mount kit from Best Buy, a power injector for the antenna and adapter from Crutchfield.com, and 16 gauge speaker wire.

I removed the amp from the back quarter panel.

I ran all new wires to the speakers and for power and ground.
This wasn't the easy way but I did not have the wheel controls, did not want to worry about the amp, and did not want to have problems scanning the car because of the aftermarket radio.

Crutchfield does have the adapter for the wheel control.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I second Cutchfields, I’ve done 4 installations so far with no issues...... there tech help is Pretty good to.
Chances are your speakers are shot too, haven’t come across an MK IV where it wasn’t.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I second Cutchfields, I’ve done 4 installations so far with no issues...... there tech help is Pretty good to.
Chances are your speakers are shot too, haven’t come across an MK IV where it wasn’t.
It's one of the norms, along with center console and headliners...knock on wood, I've got good glove boxes. It's weird when I find a good factory speaker in the salvage yard.

Dhawk12

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 ALH 5 spd
I second grabbing a factory pocket from a scrap yard. I had a Metra pocket for a while and was just cheap and the mounting tabs broke so it rattled around at the back. The factory ones have much nicer supports and are more solid. The velvet is nice too.

First I'm hearing about speakers crapping out on these cars. The only issues I've had with my speakers on my 02 golf is with the wiring. A speaker will cut out, but open and slam that respective door and it's back in business. I'm actually loathe to swap out my factory speakers because with proper power the factory component system is actually pretty good in my opinion. Much better than the coaxial speakers that would likely replace them for most people.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I have a 2002 wagon with Monsoon (double DIN) and steering wheel controls.
I'd like:
- Single din
- Dash pocket
- Bluetooth
- Do NOT need to retain steering wheel controls (I never use them)

What exactly do I need to make this as plug and play as possible?

1) OEM single-DIN radio with Bluetooth, such as the one that came in the Canadian City Golf/Jetta. Part number(?) 1JM 035 157 AL (?).

2) VW Quad Lock connector, part number 7LO 051 445A.

3) Antenna adapter, part number 000 051 541.

4) Dash cubby pocket: p/n 1J0 857 058B or other revision.

Pictures:
https://www.shopdap.com/7l0-051-445-a.html
https://www.shopdap.com/antenna-adapter.html

Threads:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4509738&highlight=1JM+035+157#post4509738
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=222437

Last edited:

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
My #1 recommendation would be either an RMT 100+ (similar to hskrdu recommendation above) or the MFD nav unit found in some MKIV R32's and B5/5.5 Passats.

Unfortunately, both take up the double DIN opening and only the first has built in bluetooth. Though the Crux BTS-VW2 should work for later MKIV VW stuff.

One of the first things I think you need to determine is does your current OEM radio use the quad-lock connector, or the older style?

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Biggest issue you will have is making sure the monsoon amplifier actually turns off. With a radio change it often stays on.
I wired a keyed relay to take care of the amp issue. Didn't want any parasitic drains which it was known to do.

I must be a lucky one but my OEM Monsoon system is awesome. Speakers are still good and I think it's actually a great sounding system. Aftermarket Kenwood deck though as the OEM deck bricked itself (literally just froze one day)

Hwycruiser

TDI
I got a Kenwood double din Digital media (no CD) unit from Crutchfield. If I do it again I will get a unit with Apple CarPlay. You need a manual to operate the dumb thing, every task to make a change is several steps mostly through one button. Plus it requires scrolling through all the streaming apps whenever switching from radio to USB. I got the wire kit from them as well but found it expensive for what it was, since matching the wires was pretty straight forward.

absalom

Veteran Member
TDI
none
If I were to do aftermarket deck, what's the exact part number for the proper Metra adapter(s)?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wired a keyed relay to take care of the amp issue. Didn't want any parasitic drains which it was known to do.
I must be a lucky one but my OEM Monsoon system is awesome. Speakers are still good and I think it's actually a great sounding system. Aftermarket Kenwood deck though as the OEM deck bricked itself (literally just froze one day)
I thought the Monsoon sound quality was OK. Nothing to get excited about.

The Kenwood DNX571HD I got is way better.
I pulled it out of my 03 Jetta and will be installing it into my 14 Jetta in the near future.
Just my 2 cents. :)

caligta

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 6-speed manual & 2003 Golf, 6-speed manual
If you are switching to a single din I would opt for a used OEM pocket (1J0 857 058 B) as the Metra one doesn't look that good IMO.

When I did my 2003 Jetta I ran a power wire over from the ignition, but for my 2003 Golf I used an Axxess XSVI-9003-NAV Interface Harness and I think it was worth the money.

You also need an antenna adapter.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Probably the fuse up front...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Fuse 42 powers the amp and the radio.

If you get an adapter cable the radio won't have power.
Power to the amp was the biggest reason I removed it.
I also ran all new wires so I did not have the VW tiny wires.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Fuse 42 powers the amp and the radio.
If you get an adapter cable the radio won't have power.
Power to the amp was the biggest reason I removed it.
I also ran all new wires so I did not have the VW tiny wires.
I mentioned this earlier in the thread, I'm not sure why so many remove the amp out of the system. Hook up a relay to switched power to definitively turn the amp on and off and then there's no issue with any parasitic drain:confused:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I mentioned this earlier in the thread, I'm not sure why so many remove the amp out of the system. Hook up a relay to switched power to definitively turn the amp on and off and then there's no issue with any parasitic drain:confused:
Two reasons I removed it.

The replacement already had more power then I need.

I ran all new heavier speaker wires to each speaker and didn't want the power feeding backwards into the amp output.

I did have to replace the rear speakers at some point. :eek:

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Two reasons I removed it.
The replacement already had more power then I need.
I ran all new heavier speaker wires to each speaker and didn't want the power feeding backwards into the amp output.
I did have to replace the rear speakers at some point. :eek:
Gotcha.

Yeah if I was re-doing the system completely that amp would be out and I'd buy aftermarket amp/speakers/wiring.

Did that for my truck (pretty standard amp/sub/speaker setup) and boat (had 3 zones of speakers and subs that were being powered by 2 amps)

timestar

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Turn Off Amp/Crossover

Hello,

Have 2002 Jetta TDI. Recently installed FH-S701BS Pioneer double din radio. Crutchfield recommends Fosgate speakers with tweeters. They have inline crossover. How do I turn off crossover in trunk other than cutting the wires?

Thanks,
Robert

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Discussed in more detail earlier in thread. If you're not using it, unplug or remove conductors, nearest the head unit would be best. Cut the wires is a summary type answer, you never want to leave open conductors.