www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old November 11th, 2019, 07:45   #1
Chyeezy

TDI(s): 2010 Jetta
Default Big Mistake; Reversed terminals on Jump

So I was in a rush.. at night and made a huge mistake. While the car was running, I went to jump a friends car and hooked up the jumper cables. The cables on the dead car were correct, but the cables on my Jetta were reversed. After about 45s the car died. No smoke or sparking just turned off. Now the car has power, lights come on, but when key is moved into the position to turn over everything goes dead.
I checked the fuse box under the hood and found no burnt fuses. Still gotta check the driver door fuse box.
What I find odd is that the car has power for all light(radio is not coming on) but when key is moved to turn over the dash and lights(headlights as well) flicker.
Anyways, huge costly mistake I am sure. I will check the remaining fuses today but anything else I can take a look at? even if I could get it turned over I can drive to my mechanic.

Last edited by Chyeezy; November 11th, 2019 at 07:57.
Chyeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2019, 07:52   #2
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38mix / 47@70-75

Fuses on the battery might be the first line, but I would think the alternator and voltage regulator are on the list. Not sure what all you're looking at. Could simply be the battery is damaged.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, fill tube ectomy, soon to be Bosio DLC 1020's PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi

Last edited by eddieleephd; November 11th, 2019 at 07:54.
eddieleephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2019, 09:12   #3
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

Try to jump your car after connecting it correctly. Or try a different good battery.
It's hard to imagine what would go wrong from jumping another car's dead battery.
Even connected in reverse, I can't see a dead battery hurting a running car too bad.
Your battery or battery connections may have gotten hot during the event and now
are failing to make a good enough contact to start your car.
The worst case scenario is that it acted like a dead short at the battery and blew
the fuse(s) under the hood and could have affected the alternator and elsewhere.
Use a voltmeter to check them.
Where did you have the ground cable hooked up when it happened?

Last edited by flee; November 11th, 2019 at 09:35.
flee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2019, 09:36   #4
Chyeezy

Appreciate the inputs!
So I did have the ground attached to terminal, the red terminal this case on my donor car.
I have had issues with jumping Buicks with the ground on the frame so I had the ground attached to the correct terminal on the dead battery as well.
I can switch out the battery tonight and give that a shot. I checked the battery fuse box last night and everything was OK except I could not tell if the 100A fuse was blown or not. Car is acting like the battery is dead when I turn the key over so I am hoping it is not too serious. Definitely could have done a lot of things better here, including not hooking up the grounds to the terminal
Old November 11th, 2019, 09:41   #5
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

The fact that it kept running for 45 secs sounds like something took that long
to heat up and open a circuit. I would be checking fuses and fuse sockets for
continuity and looking at the harness for signs of overheating. Use a voltmeter.
Old November 11th, 2019, 11:44   #6
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Every single fuse in the car is now suspect. Those under the hood, but also those on the drivers-side panel, which is where the sensitive electronics like the ECU and the CCM are fused, IIRC.

If all your fuses are good... and best to test 'em with a meter rather than by eye... or you replace the bad ones and still have a no start.. then the next suspects *are* the sensitive electronics, like the ECU. Sometimes the damage is already done by the time the fuse blows.
Vince Waldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2019, 18:11   #7
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

Common for a VW radio to be toast after one of these "events", often w/o even blowing either if the radio fuses, somehow...

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2019, 13:58   #8
Chyeezy

Hey everyone, just an update. I tried to get a jumper pack on it and give it jump after checking the fuses, all fuses were good. I got power back to everything in the car(including radio). When I turn the key after glow plug light signals off I do not hear the start cranking. I am going to replace the 100Amp fuse just in case its failing. Also want to check the grounds off the battery and starter.
Thinking the starter is toast, with any luck that maybe it.
Old November 20th, 2019, 05:52   #9
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

Not uncommon for the power cable between battery and starter to corrode and fail, usually right at starter connection. Then you get nothing, of course..

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2019, 06:09   #10
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38mix / 47@70-75

Solenoid and contacts are more likely than the starter itself. Solenoid is much smaller than the starter.
Also use a wire to jump straight to the starter to make sure it's not working and that it's not in the circuit ahead. Just be sure you're in neutral first, otherwise, bad things

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, fill tube ectomy, soon to be Bosio DLC 1020's PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi
eddieleephd is offline   Reply With Quote