2000 NB TDI Glow Plug Light

Jay-Z

TDI
2000 NB
Went to start the car yesterday and the yellow pig tail glow plug light on the instrument cluster didn't/wouldn't light up. No CEL, but no GP light or GPs. All other indications were normal. Battery is in good shape. Would turn over but not start because the GPs didn't light. After checking a bunch of things the GP light came on and the car started just fine. Same problem this morning. Spent nearly 30 minutes cycling the key before the GPs lit. Again, no CEL or codes.
Is this a relay problem? I'm guessing the big GP fuse is probably alright or it would be totally dead, not intermittent. Ideas? Thank you.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
If you have the black relay 109 replace it with the newer grey one.
It’s located under the steering wheel behind the plastic panel and the metal panel.
It reads 601 as it’s installed upside down.
Common failure with the black relays.

Jay-Z

TDI
2000 NB
Just went to swap out relays. Old 109 days it is a pa66-gf30. New one also says 109, but is pa66-gf25. Pins are the same, both are VW/Audi parts. Is this workable or should I attempt to track down a pa66-gf30? Thanks for all your help!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Always surprised to see a black relay 109 still in any of these older VEs. IIRC they replaced mine (99.5) 2 or 3 years after I bought it new.

Jay-Z

TDI
2000 NB
Thanks everyone. Installed the gray 109 relay pa66-gf25 and it works great.

For anyone else doing this for the first time, here's a quick recap:

Remove the black panel that is directly above the pedals and sits horizontal. Three T20 screws and you pull it straight back (toward the driver seat) out of two white plastic clips (clips located forward of the pedals).

I had to remove the large windshield wiper relay 377 to access the GP relay. Make sure to pay attention to how they sit in the relay box. Mark a corner if you need a reference.

Thanks again for all the help!