www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

View Poll Results: Which AMSOIL?
Premium API CJ-4 Diesel Oil (DEO) 101 27.90%
European Car Formula Motor Oil (AFL) 261 72.10%
Voters: 362. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 5th, 2018, 21:39   #2221
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
If you look at the Noack Volatility value for the Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-30 Improved ESP oil, it is hard to conclude that it is mostly Group III. The same can be said of the Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30.
Agreed. They both likely contain a large percentage of PAO base stock. There are plenty of group iii synthetic oils that will equal or outperform many group iv synthetic oils in our application anyhow.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2018, 21:42   #2222
sloinker
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
If you look at the Noack Volatility value for the Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-30 Improved ESP oil, it is hard to conclude that it is mostly Group III. The same can be said of the Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30.
I will look.

Th Amsoil in question probably is alot of PAO since it is $13 a quart and uses manufacturers OCI's. Amsoil's claim to fame is the 25k intervals and that's why the extra money for their top tier oils. They now also have lower price point oils that are class III and the price reflects it. This is equivalent to the other boutique oils, Red Line, Motul etc. except they use an ester/pao base. The Mobil info is even less forthcoming than the Amsoil as to what is in it. Synthetic base stocks is a catchall for many of these products and doesn't explain the type of base oils at all.

Last edited by sloinker; April 5th, 2018 at 22:29.
sloinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2019, 17:55   #2223
Maverickmod

Going to take a chance in posting this here as it is specifically Amsoil bypass related. Being interested at least in filtering particles smaller than engine wearing, have had trouble in finding resources for fittings and install pictures to go along. At least, no links I've been able to find with pictures uploaded that I'm still able to see, have had to find my own way to make the necessary connections. Should someone have such a resource, I'm game for it, until then, my specialty, modding it myself. This is what I've found so far.
Having seen this link http://www.42draftdesigns.com/vw-aud...elocation-kit/
in discussions of relocating the oil pressure sending unit, in combination with this https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Jd...UxXXZgpe-Qf-PC
I can build off of this part to make it more specific for what I want to do.
Maverickmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2019, 18:26   #2224
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloinker View Post
I will look.

Th Amsoil in question probably is alot of PAO since it is $13 a quart and uses manufacturers OCI's. Amsoil's claim to fame is the 25k intervals and that's why the extra money for their top tier oils. They now also have lower price point oils that are class III and the price reflects it. This is equivalent to the other boutique oils, Red Line, Motul etc. except they use an ester/pao base. The Mobil info is even less forthcoming than the Amsoil as to what is in it. Synthetic base stocks is a catchall for many of these products and doesn't explain the type of base oils at all.
Just an observation. The 25,000 mile interval is for the Signature Series synthetic oils specifically for gasoline engines and non-heavy duty use which I interpret as mostly highway driving and not towing either.

For diesel engines Amsoil says to go by the manual and/or do UOA to go beyond what the manual says (10,000 miles OCI for TDIs vehicles).
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2019, 20:55   #2225
DmaxjonTDI

Fuel Economy: 34.2

i run their diesel oil in my lml and the euro in my tdi
Old November 1st, 2019, 18:26   #2226
tikal
Veteran Member

Default For reference purposes: Amsoil Diesel Injector Clean lubricity improvement results

For reference purposes here are the lubricity improvement results by using Amsoil Diesel Injector Clean additive (from the Amsoil Fall 2019 magazine edition):

The lubricity test took the HFRR value of a D2 sample at 480 (wear scar in microns) to 350 with a treat ratio of 640:1 or 1 oz. per gallon. Here is the corresponding data bulletin:

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3186.pdf

I thought it would be good to share this info so everyone can compare to other products with recent test results.
Old November 1st, 2019, 19:26   #2227
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Diesel Secret LX4 had some amazing results in testing. Unadditized fuel went from 610 to 270 and pump fuel from 399 to 225. At 512:1. If I were to use something it would be this stuff.

https://www.hotshotsecret.com/lx4-lubricity-extreme/

I am trying some of it now. Don't notice any difference but didn't think I would anyway.

Last edited by Lightflyer1; November 1st, 2019 at 19:29.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2019, 22:05   #2228
tikal
Veteran Member

That's correct Lightflyer1. It is nice to have recent lubricity test results as the ones published in the last few years by Optilube, Amsoil and Diesel Secret rather than 'recycling' the one some folks keep on posting from way back 2007!
Old November 2nd, 2019, 16:50   #2229
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

The Spicer report was getting old! Nice to see newer actual testing results.
Old November 5th, 2019, 07:50   #2230
tikal
Veteran Member

By the way, I do not think that it is coincidence that the average HFRR value for the state of Illinois is lower (better for lubricity) than the average of the other states since Illinois has a minimum mandate of I think 10% to 20% to blend biodiesel in D2.
Old December 5th, 2019, 09:00   #2231
FXDL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.4 per 100KM's

Just wonding where everyone gets their info from. Sounds to to me a lot of people misinformed. Amsoil is a group IV oil yet someone had hinted at the low saps 5w30 is a III. Yes they have OEM type oils, but for the price difference I would use their top oils etc. As far as oils are concerned Amsoil far exceeds all others. For the Porsche how long did he run Mobil in before changing to Amsoil or did they run Amsoil from brand new.

Last edited by FXDL; December 5th, 2019 at 14:23.
FXDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2019, 09:43   #2232
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Amsoil sells cheaper group iii blends now too. I wouldn't get too hung up on that group this or that garbage anyhow. What matters is how an oil performs in real world use. Boutique oils are unnecessary to reach ultra high mileages. This isn't F1.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2019, 14:48   #2233
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Besides most cars will be sold or crashed or taken out of service for some other reason before you notice any difference between any high end oil vs any VW spec oil if even then. No use wasting money on something you will never see the difference from. Just an extra expense you throw down the drain. Especially if you are under warranty.
Old December 6th, 2019, 10:53   #2234
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
https://www.hotshotsecret.com/lx4-lubricity-extreme/

I am trying some of it now. Don't notice any difference but didn't think I would anyway.
So I looked at their test results and I looked at Opti-Lube's test results of the XL and something doesnt jive.

According to Hotshot, their baseline fuel was 327m/399m and Opti-Lube XL tested at 308m/369m at the 1:512 dose.

According to Opti-Lube, their baseline fuel was 440m/580m and Opti-Lube XL tested at 220m/260m at the 1:512 dose.

So Opti-Lube shows a MUCH BIGGER improvement XL than HotShot does. Both tests were conducted using "pump" fuel.

I wonder who's cooking the numbers here.
Old December 6th, 2019, 11:16   #2235
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Moot point for me as I stopped using it. Back to just pump fuel with 5% bio. Opti-Lube sure managed to find some skanky pump fuel though if your numbers are correct. Even the Infineum fuel report only found a max of 526 in their testing.