www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old August 12th, 2019, 06:38   #1906
Spenlowren

TDI(s): tiguan 2019

Can I use OBD scanners for diagnostics? I've been using mainly MotorData OBD on Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....motordata.obd It got many functions.
Spenlowren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 07:19   #1907
olemiss36

TDI(s): 03 Jetta

I started with the large fan not running, replaced that and it's fixed but still no clutch engaging. so i've run through these tests from the guide, and i'm getting 9.3V to the compressor and 9.5V under load and the clutch isn't engaging still. The G65 sensor is giving me about 2.3V so i don't think thats it either. I haven't checked all the leads at the FCM but considering I'm getting the correct voltage at the compressor it shouldn't have anything to do with the FCM would it?
olemiss36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 08:01   #1908
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

What's the resistance across the clutch coil? If it's open you just found the problem.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 10:37   #1909
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Quick tip - you need to check voltage to compressor clutch UNDER LOAD. Something a simple as a test light (regular bulb, no LED) is enough load.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 11:46   #1910
olemiss36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
What's the resistance across the clutch coil? If it's open you just found the problem.
0L so guess that means it's the clutch?
Old August 13th, 2019, 13:04   #1911
Genesis
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olemiss36 View Post
0L so guess that means it's the clutch?
Uh, yep. It should read something like 4ish ohms.
Old August 14th, 2019, 16:19   #1912
Nuje
Veteran Member

When doing the initial fan test (ignition on, AC button pressed), what's the cause of one fan (small) turning, but the other not?

Also, no cold air blowing (even with engine running). But, figuring out the bad fan first.

His ride: 2015 GSW SEL TDI with MIB2, Active Info Display, Adaptive Cruise retrofit
Her ride: 2016 A3 e-tron

His other ride: 2015 Giant Propel SL Di2
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2019, 19:41   #1913
Genesis
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje View Post
When doing the initial fan test (ignition on, AC button pressed), what's the cause of one fan (small) turning, but the other not?

Also, no cold air blowing (even with engine running). But, figuring out the bad fan first.
It's quite likely the fan itself is dead. The one that usually dies is, as you're seeing, the driver-side one. It's also quite-frequent for it to die only on low speed (that is, the resistor that drops the speed burns out, but the motor itself is still functional, so it will run on high -- at least for a while.)
Old August 18th, 2019, 16:33   #1914
olemiss36

so the coil was reading 0.L as posted earlier and I ordered a new one on amazon It's reading 4 ohms of resistance so the question is should I just replace the coil or the compressor all together? I'm not that comfortable with doing the job myself with the belt removal and all i have to get the car up is a jack to work underneath the car so i found a guy that will do it for $200. Most of the shops I called said the coil is the first indication of a failed compressor and would only replace the entire compressor. This guy will do the entire compressor swapout for $260. I guess the question is, is it worth the $200 gamble to replace the coil only or should i spend the $150 on a compressor and replace the whole thing? My compressor is the original one and the car has 220k on it.

edit: going to attempt the repair wed with a buddy, if that doesn't work i'll go with the full compressor replacement.

Last edited by olemiss36; August 19th, 2019 at 04:45.
Old August 19th, 2019, 11:19   #1915
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olemiss36 View Post
... is it worth the $200 gamble to replace the coil only or should i spend the $150 on a compressor and replace the whole thing?
Only possible snag is that when trying to remove the nut holding the clutch in place, the compressor shaft may break (given the age of the car)... in that case, you'll be replacing the entire compressor, which will entail the "expert" level in removing and replacing the refrigerant and oil...

Good luck,

Yuri

Quando omni flunkus moritati

ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2019, 17:37   #1916
olemiss36

replacing the coil seemed to fix it.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 09:28   #1917
towforce
Veteran Member

Just ran this test a few weeks back and found the main fan dead. I had recently noticed that doing some high passes in high heat my normally rock solid temp gauge would creep up a bit.

Pulled out the main fan, pulled the motor apart and found the brushes stuck and brush holders deformed and a mess. Cleaned it up and got it working but its just a patch job so I think a new fan is going to tag onto my next IDP order.

Curious, has anybody give any feedback on the Large/Small fan complete kit? https://www.idparts.com/dual-cooling...4-p-10375.html

Given the desert climates and mountain pass stuff that I do, can't imagine the second fan is in too good a shape, might make sense to just change them both?

Martin
Old September 22nd, 2019, 09:41   #1918
Coasty

I bought a big and small cheapo ebay fan about 4 years ago and they are still working great, even though they never shutoff in South Florida.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Coasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 09:56   #1919
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by towforce View Post
Just ran this test a few weeks back and found the main fan dead. I had recently noticed that doing some high passes in high heat my normally rock solid temp gauge would creep up a bit.
Pulled out the main fan, pulled the motor apart and found the brushes stuck and brush holders deformed and a mess. Cleaned it up and got it working but its just a patch job so I think a new fan is going to tag onto my next IDP order.
Curious, has anybody give any feedback on the Large/Small fan complete kit? https://www.idparts.com/dual-cooling...4-p-10375.html
Given the desert climates and mountain pass stuff that I do, can't imagine the second fan is in too good a shape, might make sense to just change them both?
Martin
Personally I would change both and keep the small fan as a spare. IDparts typically sells good products (even if cheap/Chinese) and for that price I don't think it's risky, no?
ToxicDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 20:11   #1920
Genesis
Veteran Member

The small fan, for some reason, rarely fails. I have no idea why. My '03 has the OE small fan in it.... not so for the big one! And I live in Florida...